Thread: I'm back...LJ build thread

I'm back...LJ build thread

A couple of months after rolling my TJ, I found a vehicle I couldn't pass up so off to CA and the off-road expo in Pomona a friend and I went to get it.

It was a 2005 TJ Unlimited Rubicon with 143,000 miles. The mileage was a little high but it's my weekend toy so I wasn't that worried (I think I've only put ~2,000 miles on it since getting it in October AND that includes driving it back from CA!)

I'm creating this thread to document it's progression from nearly stock to whatever I decide the "end" result will be.

Feel free to show your LJ builds as I may poach your idea and incorporate it into my build! This will be a long process as I need to save for the major parts of its build.

Here's a pic of it the day I bought it.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Re: I'm back...LJ build thread

Quote Originally Posted by greyst View Post
    Feel free to show your LJ builds as I may poach your idea and incorporate it into my build!

[... space reserved for future pictures of my XLJUR build ...]

"Lophat is not going anywhere, it's a reference. This forum would fold up and die if he left. LOL!" -- OTR-93YJ

"if they are like LoPhat, then their heads are stuck so far up their rear they have re-emerged as a head." -- From_Catherine

"Lo-Phat.. Don't wash the XJ. You don't want someone to confuse it as a mall crawler.." -- Will E

Quote Originally Posted by LO PHAT View Post
    [... space reserved for future pictures of my XLJUR build ...]

As much as I appreciate the *input*, this thread is reserved for relevant information, of which you have none.

Early days of my LJ build...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "I feel like everyone on here is drug addict and bunch of weirdo that makes my brain give me headache!"
    http://www.virtualjeepclub.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=4721&dateline=1301279  261

2016 Timeline:
    10/2/16: Eric (LunaticFridge) and I headed to Pomona, CA to check out the jeep and the offroad expo, trip started from my house in Maricopa just after 3:30am.
    The original plan was to meet the seller in Blythe, CA but pics that were sent showed some rust, which was a concern as the jeep started its life in WV and was registered last in VA. The seller said it was only surface rust but I didn't want to risk not seeing it myself before making the decision whether or not to buy. He would only meet in Blythe if I sent a deposit via PayPal and my impression was it was non-refundable. The seller was in Burbank and I didn't want to deal with LA traffic, I knew the expo was happening that weekend and he was willing to meet in Pomona.
    While waiting for him to arrive (~1 hr), we explored the expo and decided we are going to try to plan a trip next year to attend. After the purchase, we went back to the expo and stayed for a few hours. We spent approximately 4 hours at the expo and did not have a chance to see everything, it was huge!
    It was a long day, arrived back at my house around 11pm! Work on Monday was rough.

10/20/16: Battery swap/upgrade, P.O. pulled fuse for the "lights on" indicator and I did not realize lights were left on; the switch is very sensitive and using the blinker will turn on the parking lights. Result was a dead battery when I went to start it up the day prior. I have a better battery (Optima Red top) with a warranty so the dead battery was swapped out. Missing fuse replaced, the tone/chime is annoying but switching out batteries is worse.

10/22/16: Travis (tm customs) drained and refilled both differentials. He let me use his airtools to remove the surface rust and supervised while I performed some rust abatement. Eastwood Rust Encapsulator FTW.

Weatherstripping at the top of the windshield was hanging down so a trip to Checker on my way home for adhesive/epoxy. Quick (& cheap) fix!

Mod #1, 10/25/16: The LJ had a 2" puck lift when purchased, Damon (rock_starr) helped me remove the pucks in the front and the stock springs. They were replaced by the 3" springs that were originally on my TJ.

Last edited by greyst; 06-04-2017 at 12:40 AM.

2017 Timeline:
    3/5/17: Pulled all carpet, rollcage covers and padding in preparation to drop of at LetzRoll for a custom sport (+++) cage. Removed rear seat belts from passenger side on the B pillar and both sides on the C pillar. Driver's side on the B pillar was removed, all plastic components tossed in the back and the seat belt was reattached.

3/6/17: Borrowed a breaker bar from Matt (Mdizzle), not sure where I put mine after the accident (they were in the TJ and are somewhere in the garage). Removed passenger seat and broke a bolt. I was not strong enough to remove the bolt just with a wrench and was apparently too strong with the breaker bar! Removed front bumper and sway bar in order for Mod #2.

3/7/17 Mod #2: Completed Currie Antirock installation. Jeep came with JKS quick disconnects but they were installed incorrectly and were so deformed (pics 2 and 3) that I was unable to disconnect or reconnect without assistance. Northridge was running a 20% off special so I bought myself something for the jeep as a birthday present.

3/8/17: Dropped off jeep at LetzRoll, Andrew told me it would be 6-8 weeks before he would be able to start on my jeep. There was a M&G scheduled and this was the best/easiest day for me to drop off and get a ride back home because I can hitch a ride to the M&G then arrange transportation back to Maricopa from the M&G. I also wanted to drop it off early on the off chance there was a cancelation or previous jobs were completed ahead of schedule. See next post for cage details.

6/4/17 Mod #3: Installed the JW Speaker headlights I won in a raffle and reinstalled my front bumper. Driving home from the M&G that night was a huge difference over the mismatched stock headlights that were installed by the P.O.

1st Major Mod: custom sport cage tied to frame, suspension seats, and 5 point harnesses. I still have to take/add a pic of the removable harness bar for the back seat. I will add more pics once I have painted the cage.

Here are some pics posted by LetzRoll on the book of faces:

You need a miniature roll pen for your dogs! Looks like a nice start.

Great rig and the perfect platform for a nice build. Cant wait to see this thing grow up.

You need to get some 35's on that biiitttccchh!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And some metalcloak fenders

Quote Originally Posted by Djmoore74 View Post
    And some metalcloak fenders

They've been ordered, I'm waiting for them to arrive! Are you volunteering to help with the install? 😆

Sure. I have already installed mine

Thread Information