Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buckeye Hills East

Buckeye Hills East

There are meetings next week with the BLM regarding the Buckeye Hills East area. That's east of MC85 and south of the gila river.

Here is a link to the website for this project. They are having issues with there mapping, so we not get maps before the meetings, but I'll bring my old maps to compare too. https://eplanning.blm.gov/epl-front-...tPageId=118132

Please take some time to click on the links on the left and read the plans. The 30 day comment period has already started. I don't think it's right that the comment period starts before the meetings are held, and I'm going to ask for an extension. I'll need help with that also. I hope to see a lot of involvement at this meeting.
    There are two very popular crawler trails in this area, and I hope to get more added, but will not be able to without help. We also need egress from both the Gila Monster and Cheap Trick trails put on the map.
    The BLM has scheduled two public open houses. For each open house, BLM staff will be available and maps of the route inventory will be available for review. The open houses will not be in town hall format.

The open house schedule is:

Tuesday June 6, 2017 from 6 - 8 pm
    Copper Sky Recreation Complex
    44345 W. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd
    Maricopa, Arizona 85138

Wednesday June 7, 2017 from 6 - 8 pm
    Community Center
    201 E. Centre Avenue
    Buckeye, Arizona 85326
    Non-College Educated Working Class White Deplorable....

Re: Buckeye Hills East

What's at stake?

The singletrack community was/is heavily involved in this project. Either they are going to designate 2track with high berms as singletrack intentionally, or they are just way off with their maps. There is some singletrack that is not on the map at all.

This one is going to be interesting to watch.

Cheap Trick appears to be on state land.

Quote Originally Posted by OTR-93YJ View Post
    What's at stake?

The singletrack community was/is heavily involved in this project. Either they are going to designate 2track with high berms as singletrack intentionally, or they are just way off with their maps. There is some singletrack that is not on the map at all.

This one is going to be interesting to watch.

Not sure on map 2 how all that singletrack got marked. That definitely looks like our true single track dirt bike trail.

Gotta tell you, if it's anything like the 2014 and most recent BLM / Bumblebee meetings you should go in very well prepared with topos, sat photos or whatever you need to orient yourself and the trails you want added or retained.

I spent a bunch of time explaining to people who would probably like to comment what it was they were looking at. The maps are almost deliberately vague, and it's easy to think that because you see a squiggly line somewhere near it should be that your trail is good.

Other than that I thought that Rem and the other agency folks I talked to were informative and willing to listen to specific requests. Heck, I think I even heard Rem say he needed a ride with somebody in a buggy so he could see what it was all about. I spent a good while talking to one of the agency's range management guys; pretty much a walking wikipedia of trails around TM, Tip Top and elsewhere.
    Good judgement comes from experience. Experience more often than not comes from bad judgement.

Quote Originally Posted by ehall View Post
    Not sure on map 2 how all that singletrack got marked. That definitely looks like our true single track dirt bike trail.
    If I had to muster up a guess, I'd say that 60% of the singletrack out there is not even on that map. About half of what they have marked as singletrack is two track that my group uses all the time in the jeeps. Once I show them that, the amount of single track, in mileage, will be cut drastically.

Here's the thing, their data is garbage and they know it. They do not want garbage in, garbage out, so they are going to need people to draw on the maps at the meeting. I've been told they have not actually been out there, but I know that Thomas B. was at one point. Regardless, they need public input in order to make this as good as it can be.

I know of one place where a new extreme trail could easily be added and I'm going to suggest it. It has built in filters, my heap won't make it. If I'm the only one that wants it, I doubt it will happen. I plan to ask for more extreme to be added in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Cactus Ed View Post
    Gotta tell you, if it's anything like the 2014 and most recent BLM / Bumblebee meetings you should go in very well prepared with topos, sat photos or whatever you need to orient yourself and the trails you want added or retained.

I spent a bunch of time explaining to people who would probably like to comment what it was they were looking at. The maps are almost deliberately vague, and it's easy to think that because you see a squiggly line somewhere near it should be that your trail is good.

Other than that I thought that Rem and the other agency folks I talked to were informative and willing to listen to specific requests. Heck, I think I even heard Rem say he needed a ride with somebody in a buggy so he could see what it was all about. I spent a good while talking to one of the agency's range management guys; pretty much a walking wikipedia of trails around TM, Tip Top and elsewhere.
    I always take my own maps. I always take extras. I've been studying this area for 5 years now waiting for this to happen. The disappointing part of all of this? There will be no green-checker racing in this area. No matter what. (unless Congress is involved)

All of the BLM personnel I've worked with have been absolutely stand up people to work with, save one. I'll not discuss that here. They just need the public to get involved so it can be the best it can be.

Rem was great and so was Steve before him. Even Phyllis at the state office is great to work with. 1:24,000 scale maps ordered over the phone!!

It may sound sick, but I'm looking forward to this. To giving up half my vacation time to attend meetings again! Calling in sick to go meet them in the desert to show them the trails I'm talking about!

Anyone going to the meeting in Maricopa this evening?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by greyst View Post
    Anyone going to the meeting in Maricopa this evening?

I can't due to travel.
    yah, Huck you newbie, Rubicon drivin', mall Cruisin', bling-bling, bolt-on, got no drivin skillz, drove thru a AutoZone with a crap magnet attached, H2 wannabe, poseur! Pay attention!
    If you would pry your sorry arse out the Scottsdale Fashion Square once in a while you would know more about the BLM and the USFS (you do know those acronyms, right?).

Anyone going to the Buckeye meeting tonight? I will be there.

I picked up maps and comment info but am unfamiliar with the area. If anyone can send me info, I'll submit with my comments. I was able to speak to an enforcement officer so I know the basic area where the trails are but no specifics.

I'll be there tonight.
    Greyst- PM me your email address and I'll send you some helpful stuff. Probably won't be till next week though. I'm out of town the next four days.

I've compared their maps to what I have and they are way off. In order for this project to have good results they are going to need a lot of help with this one.

I am going. Not sure how much help I can bring to the table but I will be there.
    i'm friends with floppy aka rockreadyyj07
    need help with your jeep or any other vehicle pm me

How come I feel like they are trying to stick a knife in my back while they are smiling and shaking my hand?

Quote Originally Posted by ehall View Post
    How come I feel like they are trying to stick a knife in my back while they are smiling and shaking my hand?
    If it walks like a duck.....

They WILL close some trails. They may have a certain % of mileage as a target, not sure. It's very important to list every trail out there, even ones that haven't been used in years. Then work with them to keep the ones we use open.

I had no idea there are mountain bike trails in the east hills.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information