Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SOA 92 Wrangler will take forever

Re: SOA 92 Wrangler will take forever

You're welcome to look at mine if you want. I strongly suggest the anti wrap bar though I admit I know nothing about antiwrap springs. I do know that when the anti wrap bar comes loose, bad **** happens. U-joints break, axle tubes spin (weld yours now) and Yokes get ruined.

The SOA lift will give you about 6.5" of lift. That's an estimate I came up with measuring mine. Yes, it flexes great. Actually needs limit straps. (next project)

Shackle reverse is a great upgrade, but you'll need a new front driveline.

Other things to think about with the SOA-

Spindles hit the shocks.
    A lot more force on the steering gear sector shaft, you'll need to brace it and reinforce the frame at the box.
    You'll have to lower the the cross member 1.5-2 inches to achieve the correct angles for the rear drive shaft.
    Non-College Educated Working Class White Deplorable....

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Jacobson View Post
    Who knows what happened about 10sec after Ty's last picture was posted?!?

A buggy build started?

I converted my FSJ to SOA and didn't have to install an anti wrap anything. Is there a difference?
    82 Cherokee WT – SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau Moab Seats/RCI 6point Harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/custom bumpers and roll bar/WARN 8000/steering brace/CO2 Tank/CB/dual batts/custom TC skid plate

lethaljeep,

Sounds like my YJ is set up almost exactly the way you want to set up your YJ. I run the RE 1.5" SOA springs with anti-wrap perches but no anti-wrap bar and have no issues. Granted, I don't run buggy trails.

You're welcome to come check out my YJ. Or, once I get my clutch working again, I'd be happy to meet you somewhere.

over the years tried the anti wrap springs, well didn't go so well, so alway ended up with a anti wrap bar, easy to make, and in the end will save you a gaggle of frustration on the trail, fyi, i still wrapped a spring with the anti wrap, it was all due to being too aggressive, but dang was it fun
    good luck with it, also the boomerang leaf brackets suck. jmo

Rj

My FSJ does have pretty long perches. I would imagine my drive shaft is longer too. Now I am running a high pinion. So what happens to the Wranglers without some kind of anti wrap?
    82 Cherokee WT – SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau Moab Seats/RCI 6point Harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/custom bumpers and roll bar/WARN 8000/steering brace/CO2 Tank/CB/dual batts/custom TC skid plate

SOA 92 Wrangler will take forever

Quote Originally Posted by Will E View Post
    My FSJ does have pretty long perches. I would imagine my drive shaft is longer too. Now I am running a high pinion. So what happens to the Wranglers without some kind of anti wrap?
    Even on my SUA rig on 5.125" spring lift, I get axle wrap and constantly ruin the right rear leaf pack. The rig has had perma gangsta lean for quite some time. I have incredibly low gearing and do not have a lead foot on the trail at all, so torque multiplication can cause this.
    '93 YJ, 4.0, NV4500, Atlas, 35s
    '17 WK2, 5.7, ZF8HP70, NV245, 31s

A lot of good info here to consider. Thanks OTR, i need to add welding my tubes together... (that sounded really wrong lol).
    When you say the spindles hit the shocks are you talking about the Dana 30?
    Also i will add a steering box brace to my list.
    So the cross member has to be lowered, even if i have an SYE? Im sure i still have my lowering kit somewhere.

Roger, thats what i was thinking. I was planning on going with the antiwrap perches, antiwrap leaf springs and im not very crazy when it comes to the skinny pedal. What side of town are you on? Im gonna be in the grand canyon today so maybe next week.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by knockonit View Post
    over the years tried the anti wrap springs, well didn't go so well, so alway ended up with a anti wrap bar, easy to make, and in the end will save you a gaggle of frustration on the trail, fyi, i still wrapped a spring with the anti wrap, it was all due to being too aggressive, but dang was it fun
    good luck with it, also the boomerang leaf brackets suck. jmo

Rj
    Im sure eventually i will do the antiwrap bar from the sounds of it.

An anti wrap bar can't hurt. When I had my springs made I told them I had done an SOA. I know my old stock springs on my SOA eventually turned into a subtle 'S' shape. Perhaps spring packs are done different for SUA vs SOA.

Interested to see how this works out for you. Considering going SOA on 2.5" OME leafs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by lethaljeep View Post
    A lot of good info here to consider. Thanks OTR, i need to add welding my tubes together... (that sounded really wrong lol).
    When you say the spindles hit the shocks are you talking about the Dana 30?
    Also i will add a steering box brace to my list.
    So the cross member has to be lowered, even if i have an SYE? Im sure i still have my lowering kit somewhere.

Roger, thats what i was thinking. I was planning on going with the antiwrap perches, antiwrap leaf springs and im not very crazy when it comes to the skinny pedal. What side of town are you on? Im gonna be in the grand canyon today so maybe next week.

Yea, Dana 30. YMMV on this, and I want to correct what I said. It wasn't the spindles that hit the shocks it is the plate for the spring mount. The corners are cut off and it still impacts the shocks when it flexes.

If/when you do the anti wrap bar I suggest you go custom build as it will probably interfere with the truss (if/when you install one).

There is a chance the SYE would allow you to leave the cross member up. But I think you'd still need to leave it lowered maybe an inch.

Also, I corrected the amount of lift my received from the SOA. It's just a tad under 6". I have no idea if my springs are stock or not.

Quote Originally Posted by YJfromPA View Post
    Interested to see how this works out for you. Considering going SOA on 2.5" OME leafs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dang...had a couple buddies do SOA with those springs a loooooooooooong time ago. Worked good, the OME's were some of the flexiest out there. But with that in mind, even more reason some of us are saying anti-wrap bar is mandatory!
    I wear sun visors and drink Budweisers.

Cross member drop? Are you guys talking about t-case (skid-plate) drops?? That's just a spacer between the skid and the frame, and of course t-case mounts to the skid. Should NOT need one with an SYE. Heck, I pulled my drop spacers after doing a 1" MML (no SYE at that time)! That was with the 4" SUA. I definitely did SYE with the SOA (and no drop spacers).
    I wear sun visors and drink Budweisers.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Jacobson View Post
    Cross member drop? Are you guys talking about t-case (skid-plate) drops??
    X2 been wondering this as well...
    '93 YJ, 4.0, NV4500, Atlas, 35s
    '17 WK2, 5.7, ZF8HP70, NV245, 31s

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information