Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SOA 92 Wrangler will take forever

SOA 92 Wrangler will take forever

So i figured id might as well start this now but im still in the process of collecting parts. It will take me a while since im going to start building a bar for the house also. Gotta give what the wife wants first.

I have a 92 YJ, currently with a 4in SUA lift, 3 in body lift, HP D44 and an 8.8. Custom steering, made my own drag link bracket on the tie rod, all heim joints.

My plan is to go down to a 1in body lift and go SOA with 1.5 in springs. Hopefully i should be about the same on the lift. Reason is i barely clear my garage door opening. I will also be looking for a chevy pass knuckle for high steer.

I currently have the 1in body lift and one set of non ubolt ruff stuff spring perches which will need to be grinded to fit my 78 D44.

Pictures to follow if i can figure this site out.
    Any and all input or recommendations are welcome as i hope this will be a learning tool for others. I will be teaching myself how to weld on this project also. This should be fun.

The parts list will be updated from time to time with what i currently have and what i will need.

HAVE:
    1. Ruff Stuff non ubolt spring perches 1 set $124
    2. 1inch body lift with new body mounts
    $100
    3. 78 ford Dana 44 running heim joints
    4. 8.8 rear
    5. 4 inch procomp SUA springs

HAVE NOTS:
    1. Military wrap/reverse eye springs $165 each
    2. Ruff stuff nonubolt spring perches 1 set $124
    3. Reid pass high steer knuckle
    $257
    4. 4 hole high steer arm
    $90
    5. .250 wall DOM for drag link
    6. New heim bungs for DOM
    7. Beer
    8. Ball joints for Knuckle
    Last edited by lethaljeep; 06-03-2017 at 09:09 AM.

Re: SOA 92 Wrangler will take forever

Current

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Stance

Anti-wrap bar, anti-wrap bar, anti-wrap bar!!!!

Not sure what a "non u-bolt" perch is, but somehow you should look at eliminating the hang down of bolts...typically u-bolt flip kit.

Otherwise, properly doing the steering is usually overlooked on "simple" SOA's, but sounds like you've got a solid plan in that regard.

Good luck and post pics! Always good to see the YJ's getting some love!
    I wear sun visors and drink Budweisers.

Blog Entries

Wanna trade springs? I have a buddy that has springs with a small lift in them, boomerang shackles in the front. He wants 4" springs instead. Let me know. Thanks
    79 cj7, rebuilt 304, YJ family "cage" , wide track axles, Moser 1 pc. rear, lockrites F/R, TF999/D300 with custom floor shifter, twin sticked, 33x12.5x15 Falken Wild Peaks

So from what you're saying, it sounds like your wife WANTS A BAR IN THE HOUSE?
    '93 YJ, 4.0, NV4500, Atlas, 35s
    '17 WK2, 5.7, ZF8HP70, NV245, 31s

so whats the reason behind the SOA? If it were me, id just swap the body lift for the 1" version and wheel it. Save the time, money and downtime. If the tires rub, go with tube fenders in the front and trim the rear tire opening. If the body cuts dont look awesome, throw on some rear armor to hide it.

there is nothing wrong with SUA with a 4" lift. Run it until you out grow it and want to run coilovers. SOA is throwing money down the toilet IMO.

I was looking at the RE 1.5 anti wrap leaf springs and im on stock sized shackles. Maybe ill wheel it and see how it does without the antiwrap bar.
    http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/2PLUS.html
    Not those exact ones.

Id be interested in what he has heath, let me know.

Well treekiller, we both want a bar lol.

SHMUDE, im running 37s. 4in sua and cut fenders wont cut it. Plus the articulation isnt there. Not really into the tube fenders, i like the original body look for now... till i roll it. Roll cage is in the works also, fyi. I wont be wheeling during the summer so down time is ok.

Blog Entries

Tried to PM a response but you're out of storage in your box apparently.
    79 cj7, rebuilt 304, YJ family "cage" , wide track axles, Moser 1 pc. rear, lockrites F/R, TF999/D300 with custom floor shifter, twin sticked, 33x12.5x15 Falken Wild Peaks

Just cleared some of it

Quote Originally Posted by lethaljeep View Post
    I was looking at the RE 1.5 anti wrap leaf springs and im on stock sized shackles. Maybe ill wheel it and see how it does without the antiwrap bar.
    http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/2PLUS.html
    Not those exact ones.

Id be interested in what he has heath, let me know.

Well treekiller, we both want a bar lol.

SHMUDE, im running 37s. 4in sua and cut fenders wont cut it. Plus the articulation isnt there. Not really into the tube fenders, i like the original body look for now... till i roll it. Roll cage is in the works also, fyi. I wont be wheeling during the summer so down time is ok.

you'll need an anti-wrap bar no matter what. if you run without it, you'll break drive shafts and bend springs.

I ran 37's with a RE 4.5 lift for multiple years before i cut it up and went buggy. I trimmed the front and rear fenders a little where the tires were rubbing. Never went tube fenders either because i never saw the point in them when i could just smash the body out of the way. articulation is one of those "meh" points with a SOA. I think you'll gain a little, but not a whole lot. You could do like matrix did and go custom deaver leaf packs that flex awesome. You have to move your shocks around to get the full value of the new leafs though.

here is the ol girl on 37"s with SUA 4.5 RE

Damn man look at those old *** photos!
    '93 YJ, 4.0, NV4500, Atlas, 35s
    '17 WK2, 5.7, ZF8HP70, NV245, 31s

Perch and BL

Blog Entries

Text me your number and I'll send you the pics he sent me. 602-908-8177. Your PM box is full again

Who knows what happened about 10sec after Ty's last picture was posted?!?

I was kind of curious about the "why SOA" question, too. I did it (after having a 4" SUA kit on for a few years), and pretty sure I wouldn't go the SOA route again if I ever get another YJ. Those RE 1.5", SOA springs were popular back then. I never ran them, but friends did. Seemed very stiff, to me. I can't remember my first SOA pack, probably some basic Rancho 2" springs or something. They were, meh, OK. Then started running "reversed" Rancho 44044 Waggy Springs. That provided ~4" total stretch, and with one leaf removed, about same lift as 1.5-2" lift springs. But started bending them all the damn time. Went shackle reversal up front, which really helped a lot, but still would bend springs eventually. I did do the rear XJ spring stretch eventually, and wheeled the snot out of all these set-ups on tire size up to 37".

All that said, I'd do an RE4.5XD SUA kit, or custom Deavers, on my next "mild" rig. Set it on 35's with an 8.8 and slightly upgraded D30. And wheel that thing on pretty much every trail mentioned on this forum.
    I wear sun visors and drink Budweisers.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information