Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Everyone should buy a motorcycle

Re: Everyone should buy a motorcycle

Quote Originally Posted by Locked & Loaded View Post
    I like my bikes to have transfercases.

Honda Trail 90. What a concept.

Step-brother of the "most produced motor vehicle in history", it probably makes a heck of a lot more sense for most of our (my) explorations than some of the stuff I've had and still use.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_Super_Cub
    Good judgement comes from experience. Experience more often than not comes from bad judgement.

Years ago I had my first bike, a Honda 500, soon after I traded it for a Kawasaki KZ 750. I really enjoyed riding this one, especially running through the Salt River canyon to Show Low. That's an awesome winding road for a bike ride. Anyway, coming home from work one day, just as I was about to pass through a busy intersection, and was accelerating through 45 mph, in the opposite lane, a lady in a van made a left turn right in front of me, I hit the skids, leaned it over on the right side and started a smooth skid as I decelerated and then remember being told, that when you dump your bike like that, to push away from it as soon as you can so it doesn't tumble/roll over on top of you. So I kicked it away within a few seconds of the skid, which put me (the right side of my body) sliding down the asphalt at 40 miles per hour. In a flash, I thought, wow, asphalt isn't as rough as you would think. But since it happened so quickly, it wasn't until I slowed down and my body rolled a few times, and I finally came to a stop (a few feet away from the bike) that I immediately stood up to avoid any other oncoming traffic, and quickly realized that the right side of my right leg, aass, the palm of my hand were now raw meat and bleeding. By then the lady came running over to see if I was alright and apologizing and crying, she appeared to be in worse shape than me. I rode in an ambulance to the emergency room, and remember telling them to do whatever they had to do, to remove all the sand, tar and material from the raw meat because it would only be more painful in upcoming days. They didn't. I had to go back in so they could torture me a few more times cleaning all the crap from the wound from my lower leg and butt cheek. Then with the right side of my body ripped all to hell, I could only stand or lay on my stomach for about a week, that was no fun. Sold the bike about a month later.
    "I feel like everyone on here is drug addict and bunch of weirdo that makes my brain give me headache!"
    http://www.virtualjeepclub.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=4721&dateline=1301279  261

Quote Originally Posted by Cactus Ed View Post
    Honda Trail 90. What a concept.

Step-brother of the "most produced motor vehicle in history", it probably makes a heck of a lot more sense for most of our (my) explorations than some of the stuff I've had and still use.
    Yup. It's amazing the places they will go when put them in low range. I've done a lot of exploring with them. And I get 100 MPG.

Jeff

Drink More Water

Quote Originally Posted by DanFelix View Post
    Years ago I had my first bike, a Honda 500, soon after I traded it for a Kawasaki KZ 750. I really enjoyed riding this one, especially running through the Salt River canyon to Show Low. That's an awesome winding road for a bike ride. Anyway, coming home from work one day, just as I was about to pass through a busy intersection, and was accelerating through 45 mph, in the opposite lane, a lady in a van made a left turn right in front of me, I hit the skids, leaned it over on the right side and started a smooth skid as I decelerated and then remember being told, that when you dump your bike like that, to push away from it as soon as you can so it doesn't tumble/roll over on top of you. So I kicked it away within a few seconds of the skid, which put me (the right side of my body) sliding down the asphalt at 40 miles per hour. In a flash, I thought, wow, asphalt isn't as rough as you would think. But since it happened so quickly, it wasn't until I slowed down and my body rolled a few times, and I finally came to a stop (a few feet away from the bike) that I immediately stood up to avoid any other oncoming traffic, and quickly realized that the right side of my right leg, aass, the palm of my hand were now raw meat and bleeding. By then the lady came running over to see if I was alright and apologizing and crying, she appeared to be in worse shape than me. I rode in an ambulance to the emergency room, and remember telling them to do whatever they had to do, to remove all the sand, tar and material from the raw meat because it would only be more painful in upcoming days. They didn't. I had to go back in so they could torture me a few more times cleaning all the crap from the wound from my lower leg and butt cheek. Then with the right side of my body ripped all to hell, I could only stand or lay on my stomach for about a week, that was no fun. Sold the bike about a month later.
    When I laid my bike down, I really don't remember anything from it so I can't say if I instinctively did anything right or not. But yeah, I had raw meat on my right arm, knees, and hands. The local hospital released me after an hour or so (there are about 3 days that I only remember bits and pieces of) to my parents who got a hold of my First Shirt at Luke. He had them transport me to the Luke hospital where I spent the next 10 days. 3 times a day they would put me in one of those big horse trough looking hot tubs and scrubbing the scabbing off my arms with a brush (I swear it was a wire brush at that). I cursed them heavily at the time but praise and thank them highly now. Only some very minor scarring on my upper shoulder and knuckles.

Bill

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    90 YJ, 93 4.0l, AX-15, 3.55 D35/30 with ARB F/R, Atlas 4.3:1, Warn Full Float kit rear, on 33's, M.O.R.E motor mounts, 1" BL, Warn 9k.

Everyone should buy a motorcycle

I've been riding since I was 12. Built my first antique Harley, in '88 and it is still in my garage, today. I own two other Harleys, as well. Prolly have over 600,000 miles on two wheels. I recommend time in the wind, on your machine of choice, as often as possible. After a couple of knee surgeries, I sold all things dirt related and have stuck to the roads, since then. Riding can be dangerous. Ride aware and enjoy the ride.
    yah, Huck you newbie, Rubicon drivin', mall Cruisin', bling-bling, bolt-on, got no drivin skillz, drove thru a AutoZone with a crap magnet attached, H2 wannabe, poseur! Pay attention!
    If you would pry your sorry arse out the Scottsdale Fashion Square once in a while you would know more about the BLM and the USFS (you do know those acronyms, right?).

I recently had an opportunity to buy back my KX250 race bike. But, I've also had knee surgeries and a spine surgery, so I'm also sticking to the black top.
    Non-College Educated Working Class White Deplorable....

Damn Huck, I think you've put more miles on a bike that I've put on everything I've driven in my 20 years of driving!
    I'ma cookin' somethin' up!

Quote Originally Posted by TanTJJim View Post
    Damn Huck, I think you've put more miles on a bike that I've put on everything I've driven in my 20 years of driving!
    That may be true. Then again, sadly, I've got a few more than 20 years of riding/driving. ; )
    yah, Huck you newbie, Rubicon drivin', mall Cruisin', bling-bling, bolt-on, got no drivin skillz, drove thru a AutoZone with a crap magnet attached, H2 wannabe, poseur! Pay attention!
    If you would pry your sorry arse out the Scottsdale Fashion Square once in a while you would know more about the BLM and the USFS (you do know those acronyms, right?).

This thread inspired me to go for a ride last night!

Quote Originally Posted by OTR-93YJ View Post
    This thread inspired me to go for a ride last night!
    I thought I saw your bike at the Walmart. It was a beautiful night for a ride.

Jeff

Drink More Water

Rode all my life. Got rid of the street bike after 18 months of living in Az. Went back to dirt bikes and kept crashing out doing stupid things. Now I wheel a Jeep...with age comes a cage. If I ever move out of Az I'll probably end up with a sport touring bike.. concours 14 or Beemer 1600gt. My bent over like a pretzel sport bike days are behind me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Story antagonist

Quote Originally Posted by Locked & Loaded View Post
    I thought I saw your bike at the Walmart. It was a beautiful night for a ride.

That is surprising close to it. But I have no backrest in the driver's seat.

I've rode since i was 12. Raced motocross a few years and got into street bikes. Recently arthritis in my right wrist made it painfull (and dangerous) to ride. Sold the bike and now ride a Yamaha zuma 50 to the Fryes and Auto zone. Still riding......just slower.

Old School Tag.

Definitely want to see how this keeps going for Jim.

I totally get where the value lies in just being able to walk out, start it up, and just GO and get some exhilaration. A quick fix if you will. When you have a long , ongoing project sometimes you need that escape and encouragement that reminds you of what the finish line looks and feels like. You get both a short escape, and a mental relief, as well as further motivation to keep plugging away at the other project; knowing that you can get that same feeling from the long term project and likely even MORE when you finally get there.

'14 Toyota FJ Cruiser, Off Road Edition
    '43 Willys MB
    LOWTECH 3-10-2007

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information