Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Everyone should buy a motorcycle

Everyone should buy a motorcycle

Let me preface this by saying I told myself I would never buy a motorcycle, they're 2 wheel death machines and I have no business one them. I rode one once in my early 20's and it was a bittersweet experience. I hopped on a buddies POS bike that barely ran, although I was an avid mountain biker back in the day I'd never ridden a motorcycle and we're really talking apples and oranges here. So I manage to get this thing up to about 40mph, no helmet, no gear, wind blowing through my hair, it was great! Then I had to turn to come back into the neighborhood. Motorcycles don't turn like mountain bikes turn, I wound up not turning and bumped into a car in the neighborhood. Good thing I wasn't going 40mph anymore and nothing happened to the car, but I did drop my buddies bike and wounded some pride.

All that's to say motorcycles aren't for me, and they weren't for over 10 years. Years late I started having this consistent dream of hopping on a black sport bike and just cruising around. Over time a bike started to make more and more sense. Late last year I started seriously looking a good starter bike and with the help of a friend started to learn how to ride and picked up a Suzuki GS500 (and it is black). You all know the story from here, if you're reading this you've probably already been there too. But this is for people who haven't ridden.

My main passion is wheeling, shortly after getting rid of my TJ a couple years ago I started building the one eyed Scout. This year it's finally gotten to the point where it's reasonably reliable and is starting to perform how I like offroad. As we know all to well, it's never "done" so recently I thought I'd take a hard look at how far off from "done" I really am. I made a list, sorted it by priority, cost, benefit, etc, all very scientific. Then I started putting dollars and cents together to see how far down this rabbit hole we really need to go and I realized how much it cost me to "build" it, is about the same amount of money I need to spend to finish my "upgrades"

And this is where we get back to the motorcycle. I finish this list, and I'll admit, I cried a little, but then I look over and see my bike. This little 500cc's of fun that cost me next to nothing, doesn't need thousands of dollars worth of "upgrades", will take me anywhere I want to go and I'll have fun doing it. I just put $7.23 worth of gas in it, put on the gear, and go at the drop of a hat. Now don't get me wrong, despite all the tears the Scout has cost me, and will continue to cost me, I still love it with all my heart and will continue dumping money into this offroad beast because I just love this stuff entirely too much, but on the days that I start doubting my sanity with this offroad thing, there's just a certain feeling of satisfaction hopping on the bike and going for a ride.

And this is why everyone should buy a motorcycle.
    I'ma cookin' somethin' up!

Re: Everyone should buy a motorcycle

Wear a helmet.
    Jeff

Drink More Water

Blog Entries

I rode motorcycles as my only mode of transportation for 5+ years, up until my wife was pregnant with baby #2, sold it to pay some medical bills... one of the worst things I've done. But its what got me into off roading. Bought my patriot to fill my need for exploring. I agree, everybody should ride a motorcycle. It would make people a lot more better drivers, since the poor ones will probably die.

In holland, you cannot get a license for a car till you're 18, but you can get a scooter license at 16, so just about everybody there rides a <50cc motorcycle for two years before driving, and drivers there are far better to drive with than they are here in the states. a lot more courteous, and cautious.

Here is a picture of my last bike, the day we sold it. This was on our way out to sell it, we stopped by my parents to have her watch our son while I rode the bike up to fountain hills since the guy buying it didn't have a license yet, so we dropped it off at his house for him, wife followed me to drive us home.
    Name:  920049_10151624470695865_591381146_o.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  312.0 KB

It will be a few years before I get another bike, I think my next vehicle will be a small convertible, my dad's fiat 124 spider is the closest I've been to riding a bike since actually riding a bike.

I concur.Name:  bike at kofa.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  183.2 KB

Riding a motorcycle in city traffic should be a prerequisite to obtaining a driver's license.

Quote Originally Posted by Locked & Loaded View Post
    Wear a helmet.
    Liberal....
    Non-College Educated Working Class White Deplorable....

Agreed. I've ridden motorcycles most of my life (pre-marital life that is). Now my wife won't let me drive one until I get at least a million dollar life insurance policy. I have to admit I start getting crazy and have spent over a week in the hospital after a crash on yarnell hill. 85 mph up the hill with a leaking drive shaft housing put me on the pavement. Freaking Moto Guzzi. Just wear a helmet and pay very close attention to everything around you.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    90 YJ, 93 4.0l, AX-15, 3.55 D35/30 with ARB F/R, Atlas 4.3:1, Warn Full Float kit rear, on 33's, M.O.R.E motor mounts, 1" BL, Warn 9k.

lost too many friends due to bike accidents. Sold my Duc and went to supermoto. More fun at slower speeds but maintenance sucked on a dirtbike that saw alot of miles. Stashed it and bought a jeep. Sold it years later without ever riding it again.

I love bikes, but they are just too dangerous to ride around here. I would build a track bike, but thats another hobby i dont need.

Ive thought about one and would love to own one but the wife forbid me. Probably better that way as I think Im invincible. Especially now that I have a family. Driving the Jeep topless gets me what I was looking for in a bike and I have a stereo, cupholder, etc. Yes the Jeep is expensive but you have to decide what upgrades you need and what you want. Ive come to this realization in the last year.

Here's my bike. 1979 Suzuki GS550. I have been riding for about 8 years now. I still love every moment of riding it.

We just got my wife a 1987 Suzuki Intruder VS750. She's learning to ride it now.

Wear ALL of your gear, even if it's a bit hot. Pay attention to the other drivers. Keep it shiny side up, and the rubber down!
    1995 Jeep Wrangler YJ Rio Grande, 31" tires, 3" lift, 12k lbs winch, front Spartan lockers
    We keep a log of our Jeep adventures on our website: Arizona Adventurers

My opinion, people should wait till their kids are grown and their education is taken care of before taking on the road bikes as a hobby. All it takes is one asshat to turn left in front of you and it will change the future for the kids as well.

I rode when I was young, put it away to raise the kids, now I'm back at it.

I like my bikes to have transfercases.

Jeff

Drink More Water

I really try to only hop on the bike when I'm going to enjoy it, like a cruise on some nice 2 lane black top or a trip to Superior for lunch. I've ridden to work a couple times and traffic is pretty heavy on the way home, it's zero fun. One thing I found that's really fun is just taking it out when I want to run errands as long as I can fit what I need in a backpack. I've done a couple longer rides but my butt's limit is about an hour before I need a break, I have no idea how guys do hours on end on long trips.

I'm well versed in ATGATT too, I prefer to be the second kind of rider for a long time but when the day comes that I'm the first kind I'd like to live to tell about it!
    I'ma cookin' somethin' up!

Quote Originally Posted by Locked & Loaded View Post
    I like my bikes to have transfercases.

These little machines are a BLAST to ride, and I LOVE mine... Except on paved streets where thier limited speed capability (tops ~ 40-42 with a STRONG tailwind) becomes a hinderance to riding safely.

I also ride a 500 cc dirt bike, and a 650 cc quad in the dunes, and a Goldwing for those times when I just want to get away from the heat for a while... ALL are great therapy, but just like MANY of life's "riskier" endeavors, they come with a degree of risk that is higher than most automobile uses.

After nearly 55 years of riding and enjoying motorcycles of many forms, as I see it, there are two major reasons for the increased risks. 1- They require more skill and attention to your surroundings than an automobile to drive without falling over, or becoming a victim of another's inattention. AND 2- FAR too many non-motorcycle drivers ("cagers" if you will), have either little respect for those on bikes, or are simply unaware of the threat they pose to those of us who choose to ride.

That said, you can mitigate some of these risks by being ALWAYS on alert to your surroundings, improving your skill sets by taking a training class (MSF - Motorcycle Safety Foundation course is a good place to start), and wearing appropriate protective gear of HIGH visibility...
    Working for a living is highly over-rated...

I agree with the training for motorcycle riders. But the real problem is most states no longer require any kind of driving class for autos. I don't know when it stopped in Az. I had to take a class in high school and an actual driving test when I got my permit. None of this is required anymore. So the knowledge of the experienced is not transferred to the newbs. I think in Az they only require you take a class after you've been in an accident or received a traffic citation.

Ride safe. You are truly alone out there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information