Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DSLR camera

DSLR camera

I want to buy a dslr camera. I'm hoping some one here could point me in the right direction. I would to stay around $500. I will be using it for my sons baseball and soccer team. My wife would like to take some photos desert landscape.

THanks in advance.

Re: DSLR camera

Canon Sx50Hs. Mine is about 3 years old now, Best all around camera I have ever owned; that includes Pentax, Nikon and other Canon cameras.

12Mp, and 50x optical zoom (equivalent to a 1200mm zoom lens) for $429 on Amazon. If you can only have one camera this is the one.

This type of camera is often referred to as a "bridge" camera; it bridges the gap between the ultra expensive high end professional cameras and the low end pocket cameras, but has many of the pluses of each and some that neither of them have.
    Last edited by Tortured Metal; 04-20-2017 at 04:34 PM. Reason: correction
    Burn it and beat on it

In that price range there are few Nikons and Canons. I personally have the Canon EOS Rebel t6i and love it, but it was a little more than your planned budget. I have always liked Canon cameras so I would recommend the Canon EOS Rebel T6. The Nikon D3300 looks like a solid camera as well. If you want listed differences between two particular models, there are a ton of websites that review these cameras and will give you side by side comparisons. Good luck with your decision, I spent a couple months researching these things before I bought mine.
    2004 LJ, I6, BFG KM2 33s, 3" Teraflex lift, d30/d44, Locked/LSD, 4.56, 8K winch, Rancho rs9000x. - Joe -

Quote Originally Posted by jhart View Post
    In that price range there are few Nikons and Canons. I personally have the Canon EOS Rebel t6i and love it, but it was a little more than your planned budget. I have always liked Canon cameras so I would recommend the Canon EOS Rebel T6. The Nikon D3300 looks like a solid camera as well. If you want listed differences between two particular models, there are a ton of websites that review these cameras and will give you side by side comparisons. Good luck with your decision, I spent a couple months researching these things before I bought mine.
    Agreed on the Cannon EOS Rebels, great, rugged cameras!
    Check out the T4i and the T3i, you should be able to upgrade the lens and stay in your price range also. Maybe look on Craig's List, buy a cheap one in good shape, see if that what you want.
    There is a learning curve for DSLR's when compared to point and shoot cameras! When you get one, learn how to use the manual settings, kind of a waste to buy a good camera and set it on auto... A lot of online video and written tutorials out there.

Also, buy only quality SD cards, the cheapo one don't last and will break your heart when you lose all your pics from a shoot!
    And, your not wasting film, so take a LOT of pics; the more you take the more chance of capturing what you see!

Good luck!
    Get Down With the Sickness!

I personally am a Canon whore and would tell you that for the money you are wanting to spend you cannot go wrong with one of their Rebel cameras. The reality, however, is that both Canon and Nikon make some very amazing cameras in your price range. One of the great things about them is that you can always purchase additional lenses as your interest grows and your budget allows.

"Lophat is not going anywhere, it's a reference. This forum would fold up and die if he left. LOL!" -- OTR-93YJ

"if they are like LoPhat, then their heads are stuck so far up their rear they have re-emerged as a head." -- From_Catherine

"Lo-Phat.. Don't wash the XJ. You don't want someone to confuse it as a mall crawler.." -- Will E

Blog Entries

My wife has a Nikon D3300, which is an older model, but because of that, we got a smoking deal on it, and a pack of lenses, filters and other accessories. it takes amazing pictures, is easy enough for me to use, and has held up to being drug around to all of our family activities over the last year or so, and still look/acts brand new.

Buy a decent camera/lense combo (I prefer Nikon but if you're an amateur you can get by with a Canon). Then later, upgrade to the best lense you can afford that fits how you use your camera. Don't be afraid to go used, with cameras, like phones, people upgrade all the time.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    90 YJ, 93 4.0l, AX-15, 3.55 D35/30 with ARB F/R, Atlas 4.3:1, Warn Full Float kit rear, on 33's, M.O.R.E motor mounts, 1" BL, Warn 9k.

Seriously, at the price point you are looking at, they are all "amateur" cameras. Someone making their living with a camera will generally keep one in the bag as a backup.

Don't drink the "Nikon" kool-aid for your price range. Yes, they are nice cameras. Every camera made has pluses and minuses, and Nikon hasn't been able to avoid the minuses any more than Canon. Been there, done that. Now, maybe, if you are looking to spend $8,000 or more then Nikon may have something to offer that might give it an edge.

Look at the Canon Sx50Hs. I sold my Nikons, pocketed the change and bought one camera that has maximum flexibility. One lens from macro to 1200mm in a 12 Mp format. No need to pack a big bag around with extra lenses, which are heavy, expensive if they are any good, and fiddly.

From your post this camera will do everything you stated and much, much more.
    Burn it and beat on it

Boy, some people don't take a good natured jab very well. Agreed, at $500 (or even two or three times that) they are all amatuer cameras. But still don't drink the "Canon is as good as Nikon" kool-aid either. Your money is best spent on the lense. And Nikor lenses are the best. Hands down. So why buy a camera that limits you from the very beginning when for the same money you can buy a quality camera that will accept the best lenses made. If he never moves up, he still has great quality. We all know that this $500 purchase is just the beginning. All brand loyalty aside though, either will work and will be capable of taking great pictures. You will probably be the limiting factor for years to come.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    90 YJ, 93 4.0l, AX-15, 3.55 D35/30 with ARB F/R, Atlas 4.3:1, Warn Full Float kit rear, on 33's, M.O.R.E motor mounts, 1" BL, Warn 9k.

While I like composing through a viewfinder, I got the chance to shoot a bit with my daughter's Nikon mIrrorless (this one, I think https://www.amazon.com/Nikon-Digital.../dp/B00AY6MCX8). Interchangeable lenses, nice interface and a much smaller form factor than a DX or FX DSLR.

Sony makes the sensors for many Nikons as well as their own cameras. They have one that's competitive with the above.

Something to consider.
    Last edited by Cactus Ed; 04-21-2017 at 08:05 AM. Reason: I like editing.
    Good judgement comes from experience. Experience more often than not comes from bad judgement.

Forget the Sx50Hs Canon, There is now a Sx60Hs Canon for $20 more and is 16Mp vs 12Mp for the 50.

Look at PC magazine review recommendation for Best 2017 digital cameras. Canon has the only DSLR on the list that is in your price range and it is the Sx 60 Hs.

Nikon has a DSLR on the list but it is 4 times as much money.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2369450,00.asp
    Burn it and beat on it

Don't you guys own a cell phone?
    Jeff

Drink More Water

Quote Originally Posted by Locked & Loaded View Post
    Don't you guys own a cell phone?
    He has a point there...
    Get Down With the Sickness!

I got a chance to play with the Canon EOS Rebel t6i at my work. I really liked it. Costco has it for $550 with 2 lenses, a case, and a few other things. I am leaning towards that camera unless a used one pops up for a deal.

That's a great choice. As I said previously, I love mine!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    2004 LJ, I6, BFG KM2 33s, 3" Teraflex lift, d30/d44, Locked/LSD, 4.56, 8K winch, Rancho rs9000x. - Joe -

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information