Thread: New Coconino NF Motor Vehicle Use Map. There's an App for That!

New Coconino NF Motor Vehicle Use Map. There's an App for That!

Hot off the presses, an update to the Coconino Forest travel and trail map, reprinted verbatim.

Enjoy!

Good afternoon,

The Coconino National Forest has published an updated and revised Motor Vehicle Use Map (MVUM) beginning today, which will show all of the roads, trails and areas open to motor vehicle use on the Forest.
    The MVUM is re-issued each year, is free to the public and is available at all Coconino National Forest offices, nearby national forest offices, and related businesses in Phoenix and northern Arizona. A digital version of the map can also be downloaded for use on smartphones, tablets and Garmin GPS devices.
    In addition to hard copy paper MVUMs, the public can also get a free Coconino National Forest Travel Map. This is an electronic color map with shaded relief topography, game management units, hiking trails, and all designated motorized routes and areas. When using this map with the Avenza PDF Maps App, this map is GPS-active meaning you can see where you are on the map as you drive or hike on the national forest. Instructions for how to get the free map and app on your mobile device can be found at http://tinyurl.com/Coconino-mvum. Steps for downloading the updated maps on your smartphone or tablet are included below in this e-mail.
    The 2016 MVUM includes a number of updates and corrections made as a result of public input received over the past year, which are available on the website above. More substantive route and area designation changes requested by the public will be reviewed through the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) planning process. The forest released a proposal of route and area designation changes to be considered through NEPA and is currently soliciting public feedback on which routes or areas you think should be added or removed from the MVUM. The proposed changes to motor vehicle access on the Forest and links for submitting comments can be found at www.fs.usda.gov/project/?project=47435.
    For additional information, please contact the Coconino National Forest at 928-527-3600.

Instructions for downloading the maps on smartphones or tablets…

Name:  CoconinoQR.png
Views: 153
Size:  66.7 KB
    Good judgement comes from experience. Experience more often than not comes from bad judgement.

Re: New Coconino NF Motor Vehicle Use Map. There's an App for That!

Now if they would just open the forest.

I have that map on my phone. Pretty handy sometimes.

That's nice because the .PDF versions are huge. Of course the hard copy behind the passenger seat is kinda huge too, once you unfold it.

That is going to be helpful. Thanks for posting, Mike!
    Non-College Educated Working Class White Deplorable....

Awesome, Thank you.

If anyone hits Sand Hollow in Hurricane Utah they use the same app/map format. It works great

Name:  Screenshot_2017-04-18-04-37-39.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  135.2 KBScreenshot of the map.

Coconino is nice, and colorful. Go look at Kiabab's map. Dull as hell.
    Non-College Educated Working Class White Deplorable....

Quote Originally Posted by Estrada View Post
    Awesome, Thank you.

If anyone hits Sand Hollow in Hurricane Utah they use the same app/map format. It works great
    No prob - glad to hook the brothers (and sistas) up! Sand Hollow looks like a good time. I'm seeing quite a few videos out of there.
    Good judgement comes from experience. Experience more often than not comes from bad judgement.

Tonto needs to go free on here, i want a most current tonto map i can have on the phone.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    Tiki's TJ is a 98 Wrangler Sport, 4.0l inline 6, sitting on BFG KO2 33's

Quote Originally Posted by TikisTJ View Post
    Tonto needs to go free on here, i want a most current tonto map i can have on the phone.
    For you and anyone else, I've been using PDF Maps (now called Avenza) for some years now, the only bummer is that it doesn't automatically change when you get off the current maps' 'page'.

Anyways, here's a link to all the free forest maps you can almost ever want:

https://data.fs.usda.gov/geodata/ras...ons/states.php

They are full on 1:24,000 scale USGS topo maps usually with more roads and detail than the forest service maps you have folded up behind your seat. Just used it today to go out to find a nice hill with a cinder pit I could do some shootin' at.
    Ted - KI7HPI
    2006 KJ pretty much stock, but well stocked when I travel!
    Quote Originally Posted by Locked & Loaded View Post
    LOL. I'm one of the dbags.

Hmm, as I mentioned above, I've been using PDFMaps. Now it is called Avenza Maps.

[soapbox] Now I don't mind folks making money from their creations. However, I don't hold no truck with folks who 'upgrade' their free apps for the sole purpose of removing previously free functions to now charge money for.[/soapbox]

I have about 35 or so maps imported into my PDFMaps, and can import as many more as my phone has storage for. Now, I found that if I were to upgrade it to the new Avenza Maps, my old imports work, but I cannot import more. Others who have only installed Avenza can only import three maps without having to pay about $30/yr to do so. I do not agree with this practice, so if you have an Android phone, I would like to help rectify this. Maybe this is what Tikis was talking about.

THIS IS FOR ANDROID USERS ONLY. You will need a file explorer on your phone. There's a ton of them on Google play. ES File Explorer, Astro File Manager, etc. I'm using Root Explorer, but most should allow you to do this stuff. Then you need to allow your phone to install from unknown sources. On Android Lollipop (5.x.x), go to: settings -> security -> Unknown Sources and tick the slider to the right. Don't worry, this is one of the first settings I've made on my Android phones for the last 8 or so years. Next, if you have installed Avenza or updated PDF Maps to Avenza, uninstall it. Then, download this file:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8...2hBclQxVzVBOU0

It is called "base.apk". If you downloaded it to your computer (and if your computer is not configured to show file extensions, it will only be shown as "base", DO NOT CHANGE IT), you will have to transfer it to your phone's storage 'card' (real or virtual). If you downloaded it with your phone, then it should be on your storage under /sdcard/downloads. In any event, open the file explorer app on your phone, find wherever you have placed "base.apk", click on it and when prompted, click install. If the file explorer app you have doesn't prompt you to install, try another app. Once it is installed, BAMM, bob's yer uncle. LOL.

Hope this info is of some help, after all, I drive a KJ, but I do have other skills . . . .

If you have problems with this, just ask.
    Last edited by teddyearp; 04-22-2017 at 04:54 PM.
    Ted - KI7HPI
    2006 KJ pretty much stock, but well stocked when I travel!
    Quote Originally Posted by Locked & Loaded View Post
    LOL. I'm one of the dbags.

Thread Information