Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2016-July~teddyearp's last roadtrip TO Arizona

2016-July~teddyearp's last roadtrip TO Arizona

Obviously I took my time creating this trip report. It is not at all much of a 'trail run', but am I the only person that would like to see something besides the same old pics of Jeeps posing on rocks on the same old trails?

July 2. I actually left WA on July 1 and spent the night in Ontario, OR. But here I go. No camping on the way down or back, I wanted to spend maximum time at the destination. First pic I took was leaving I-15 to head towards Green River, UT via US 6/89 and US 191. This is Spanish Fork on July 2:

Climbing up out of Spanish Fork, there's a windmill farm:

Further up the canyon:

I'll just say that some Utah drivers can be jerks. Some wide open road after the idiots peeled off:

The reason I was going to AZ in July was to visit the monsoon. Caught a bit on the way to Green River, UT:

The next day, July 3, I continued on going through Moab and Mexican Hat. The picture doesn't show the whole line of cars, it was well over 2 miles long, but I did not at all pity these idiots trying to get into Arches N.P.:

I'm leaving plenty of pictures out of this thread, but one of an open road just calls a person, doesn't it?

Of course, I had to put the actual Mexican Hat in here:

Further down the road, the back side of Monument Valley (using other than regular color):

Ted - K2AMD
    2006 KJ pretty much stock, but well stocked when I travel!
    Quote Originally Posted by Locked & Loaded View Post
    LOL. I'm one of the dbags.

Re: 2016-July~teddyearp's last roadtrip TO Arizona

Took a quick drive towards the park entrance. Here's one of the 'mittens':

Since Monument Valley is on the Navajo Nation, it only makes sense (or does it?) that this picture is somewhere well outside the park heading south. Used to always love seeing this sign on my many road trips TO AZ:

Not positive where I took this one, maybe near Kayenta. It's another cool storm picture:

I took BIA/Navajo 59 towards Many Farms after M.V. and Kayenta. They've got their own painted desert along that road there:

I stopped in Snowflake to visit a friend and his family. Spent the night since we consumed mass quantities. Mass.

July 4. Because of the mass consumption the night before, I woke up (sort of) really hung over. Been a long time for that to happen, but I didn't end up doing much or taking very many pictures on the 4th. I had such big plans to attend the 4th of July Show Low festival, . I do like how some patriots fly the big flags up on the mountain though:

July 5, I took a drive to look at some of the cheap properties I had researched out east of Show Low. Most of it was pretty treeless and useless, so afterwards I decided to go to Los Burros campground via Vernon.

Here, south of Vernon, it looks like this log truck driver had a very bad day:

Heading into Los Burros:

There's a really cool meadow at Los Burros, here it is as the sun is setting:

Home for the night:

Last edited by teddyearp; 03-09-2017 at 12:48 PM.
    Ted - K2AMD

July 5, continued: I ended up staying two nights at Los Burros.

There is a herd of 'wild' horses here, though I think that they may not be all that wild, since one morning I woke up to the grey one with a couple of others sniffing me out in my sleeping bag. The grey one actually started snuffing my head. There was an article in the White Mountain Independent shortly after my visit calling them 'wild'. Anyways, here they are in the meadow, the grey is on the right:

Ted - K2AMD

July 7, I headed into Show Low to see some old co-workers of mine. Afterwards I decide to head out and find again: 'Grouse Camp'. I'll try not to bore y'all with the details, but its exact location would change from year to year. Mass quantities were consumed, and fireside stories were tall and varied. I only went up to actual 'Grouse camp' twice, 2001 & 2002, but what I found most interesting about it at first was that I had already been up there several times starting back in 1996.

Back in the good old days, the pavement on AZ 273 stopped when it left the res and hit the ASNF border. Not now. But the road that takes you up and over to grouse camp is still pretty rough, however I guess the fact that you now hit that road from pavement had the area much more 'populated' than ever I remembered it; there were RV's and trailers everywhere in the trees. The road climbs up a little ridge:

Obligitory flower picture:

This big meadow has a few sites around it:

Finally, I seemed to have found the new and improved grouse camp:

And so camp I did:

July 9. I stayed up there for two nights as well. I might would have stayed longer, but when planning this trip I found out there was going to be a gun show in Pinetop-Lakeside on the weekend of July 9-10 and 'something' told me that I would find a Colt '73 clone there. Well, that 'something' woke me up on saturday morning and kept pestering me saying, "Get up and go to that gun show, your pistol is there waiting for you." So I did and it was:

July 10. After going to the gun show and then spending a night in a motel in Pinetop (and having a great meal at Charlie Clarks), I wanted to make a big loop through Eagar, Pie Town, NM, down a dirt road towards Old Horse Springs, Reserve, NM and then end in Blue, AZ. On the way, I had to detour and take a pic of John Wayne's old cattle ranch:

Back in the good old days, I remember seeing his signature on the wall of the old Wagon Wheel saloon.

Here's Pie Town:

What's this?

Ted - K2AMD

July 10, continued: Ahh, dirt, south of Pie Town. Now, I realize that this is not some rock crawling technical trail, but part of Jeeping is to go down the roads not well traveled because we can.

Little sucker got out of rifle range way too fast:

Damn pretty country out here:

Wildlife:

Grass grows in the middle of the road here:

Moar wildlife:

Back on the pavement, I stopped for another obligitory flower picture:

And Reserve, NM:

Ted - K2AMD

July 10, continued:

Now, I'm very good with maps and directions and intended to hit the road to Blue off US 180 by going through Luna, NM and then south just to the east of Alpine, AZ. However, I was using Google Maps navigation and it was telling me the shortest route to Blue, AZ from the intersection of NM 12 and US 180 was to go south and hit Pueblo Park Road. I thought about going the original way, but then that same 'something' that made me go to the gun show also told me that I would find some fine firewood (I love Alligator Juniper) going over that pass. And I did. Anyways, it certainly might have been the shortest, but not nearly the fastest, but that's part of what Jeepin' is all about, right?:

I probably spent at least 3 hours making that 23 mile trip, but beautiful country:

Ah yes, the road getting small:

Near the top of the pass:

Awesome Arizona views:

Finally, home for the night, Upper Blue Campground:

Last edited by teddyearp; 03-09-2017 at 12:54 PM.
    Ted - K2AMD

July 11. Today, I am heading through Alpine and planning on camping on the East Black River. Stopped at the Bear Wallow Cafe in Alpine for breakfast. It was great. The road from Blue to Alpine goes into New Mexico and then back into Arizona. This sign has to be old:

Huh, too bad Alpine, AZ is like Packwood, WA. Packwood, WA is pretty much a big posted no shooting zone, but the end result is the same, no shooting Elks:

After breakfast in Alpine I headed towards East fork; passing through some of the Wallow fire damage:

There were quite a few campers down in there, but I found a campground without any one else in it. At first it was quite windy, but by around 5pm or so, the wind died down, so I figured I would build a small cook fire and camp out:

Yes, my fire is lit in that picture. That's how small I build them. However, soon the local camp 'hosts' came through and ruined my night. The lady came charging in like a bull holding a red flag, chastising me. My fires do sometimes let out a little smoke now and then. But she was like (as she was taking down my name and money to camp), "Don't you know there's a red flag warning right now?" When asked, she did not know when it would end. Her husband sheepishly had to use a hose attached to their truck to totally drown my tiny fire, while like I said, she happily took my money. I don't know how they knew as there is no cell phone service down in there.

After they left, I took a look at the meat I had marinating and waiting to be cooked over an open fire. I would never be able to revive my fire after the amount of water used to put it out. So I got pissed and left. Right down the road on my way to Alpine, I saw other campfires, in the camp hosts' campground. The kicker was when I did get back to cell service, the red flag warning was ending as of 7pm. The timestamp for my camp picture with fire is 5:49 pm. Grr! I ended up spending the night at Alpine Cabins.

July 12. Well, that certainly was a bust, hehe. I was wondering, "What do I do now?" I technically only had a couple days left before I had to head back to Washington state. Ah yes, Hawley lake. The first time I camped there was in 1971 on a family trip. The family went back in '73 and '76. And every time we camped in the exact same spot. I went back in '91, '93 and '96, again in the same spot. After I moved to the mountain in '97, there were times when the table was removed and firepit ruined in the 'ole family' spot. Suffice it to say, I have great affinity for Hawley lake.

Let me back up a bit. I read that the lake had to be drained and the dam had to be repaired just after my last visit in 2014. So I wasn't surprised when I saw this sign, looks like they're still finishing up the dam repairs:

Sure enough, the "Dam crossin closed". So I had to go the long way around the lake to the campground. This is going clockwise from the store towards the campground. I've been there so many times, I would recognize it anytime:

However, this time the 'ole family' spot was revived! Backed up into it:

Got a fire going:

Something strange happened to me. When I first arrived on the 12th, sure I was on a mission to find my site and get settled in. But as I sat there and then especially the next day, all my 'stress' just melted away. I cannot explain it other than to say that when one goes on vacation, they seek the moment when it actually becomes a vacation and all the worries and stresses of the work you are vacationing from just goes away. I don't know about you, but it doesn't always happen. This time, for me, it did.
    Ted - K2AMD

July 14. After taking some time, I decided that I needed to (re)explore some of the awesome country that the White Mountain Apaches have. I remembered 'back in the day' when I (my family) could go to Christmas Tree Lake without a special permit. Unfortunately, these days it is not possible, but I got close. The country around and on the way there is just drop dead beautiful though:

I guess now they think that bigfoot is near there as well:

Back road WMAT:

Obligitory flower pic:

A creek (Little Diamond Creek?) runs near it, fed partially by a spring:

Another obligitory flower pic or two:

Ted - K2AMD

July 15. I decided to try to get to McKays peak lookout. I hadn't been there since 1996. I guess I didn't take many actual pictures; most were in my mind. Once I got to the spur to the lookout, there were Apaches locking the gate. One of them commented and said, nice Jeep and nice tires. After the turnoff to the lookout, I decided to go further and the road quickly became relatively narrow:

For some reason, I turned around here:

I then went off towards Upper Log camp. One of the apps on my phone told me about some campground south of Upper Log. Had to take a detour off'n the 'main' road to get there. Looks like it was just one single site:

Upper Log camp, the crossing of the North fork of the Whiteriver:

I continued up the road until I hit AZ 473 to take a right to go to Hawley Lake. Back at the lake:

Back at camp, my commune with nature continued. It seemed that the chipmunks wanted to see what I had going on for dinner:

Apparently, no shame in their game, taking a taste?

Last edited by teddyearp; 03-09-2017 at 01:03 PM.
    Ted - K2AMD

July 16. I pretty much just hung out around the camp for the next couple of days. On Saturday, July 16, an Ice Cream truck cruised through camp:

July 18. Though I took this trip for the monsoon, I was blessed(?) without much rain while camping out. However the rain did return at one point while I was sleeping outside. So I decided because of that and the fact that I was getting way too ripe from camping, it was (past) time to head into town for a room and a shower. After leaving AZ 473 the spring just off AZ 260 to little bear and big bear lakes:

July 19. Decided to do some more exploring in the forest near Pinetop-Lakeside. Many years ago, I did a tiny bit of camping off the old grade for the Apache Railroad:

Now, it leads to the southern trailhead for the 'new' Maverick trail, an approved motorized trail in the ASNF. It runs from Sky High to Clay Springs with plans to extend to Heber in the west and Springerville to the east. Portions of it though are only for <50". Granted for the most part, there aren't any 'obstacles' on it:

But there's a ton of 'other' roads to explore, and anyone who has really explored up here knows that you never know what you'll find. Intriguing:

The good old white mountain mud can be a badge of honor up here, many rigs run around unwashed and red with it, however they filled the worse mudholes with 2-3" rock, bummer:

Not the best picture, but this old bridge out in the woods:

Ted - K2AMD

July 19, continued: I only took the trail as far as Porter Mountain, but went up on the mount to see the storm a-brewin':

Looking the other way, one just has to love the endless Arizona views:

Obligitory flower pic:

July 20. Time to start towards home. North of Flag:

Crossing at Lee's ferry bridge:

Went on through Jacob Lake and then towards St George, UT. Caught a bit of a cloudburst between Fredonia and Colorado City:

Taking the back highways into Nevada:

July 21. After much searching, I did find a room for the previous night in Ely, NV. My father worked for Richfield Oil (later Atlantic-Richfield, now BP) for 33 years starting just before WWII. He actually got a leave to enlist in the Navy intelligence during the war. That is why this was cool for me to see:

I was heading for Burns, OR, the place that had so much 'trouble' at the beginning of 2016. Open hwy in Nevada:

Ted - K2AMD

July 21, continued: Entering Eureka, NV:

I just love these old buildings you'll find in them thar lonely western towns on the open road:

Getting closer:

So, I wanted to stay in Burns so I could visit a bit of the area that had so much controversy at the beginning of 2016. This was the second time I stayed there on a road trip, the first was a couple years earlier. I just want to say, if you find yourself traveling through eastern Oregon, don't stay in Burns. On both trips, the people and services were just very lacking. Go up the road to John Day, much better.
    Ted - K2AMD

July 22. As I said, I wanted to take a look at the area, so I headed down to the place that was briefly called the Harney County Resouce Center. Stopped at the "Narrows" for breakfast. Now these folks were OK and the meal was great as well.

Afterwards I headed to the 'place'. Here's the lookout tower:

The place was still closed, that was the message on the other side of the electronic sign shown here:

Locked gate:

I actually felt a little bit spooky. Like I was being watched. Judging from the looks on these guys, I reckon I might have been:

Now that Ammon and his compatriots have been aqcuitted in Oregon, I wonder if the FBI presence is as strong now.

Back in Burns, the .gov Harney county Sheriff lacky's competition:

Many controversial meetings happened here:

Still speaking their mind:

Ted - K2AMD

July 22, continued: I headed north on US 395 towards John Day, OR. That fateful road. I believe this is where the FBI staged themselves for the ambush:

Looking at the respective websites, both the Malhuer NF and ORDOT have been trying to discourage any memorial(s) where LaVoy Finicum was murdered. And now that Ammon Bundy and friends were acquitted for any wrong doings in Harney County, murder may even more be the correct term. A few from the memorial in July 2016:

Further up the road towards John Day. The forest is similar to those you find in AZ:

Another obligatory flower picture:

Ted - K2AMD

July 22, continued: Love these old buildings from long ago:

Up in Grant County, OR, they had a large fire earlier in 2015 that helped stir up the anti .gov sentiment that perhaps was partially behind the invite for Ammon to speak on that fateful night:

Entering John Day:

July 23: After spending the night in John Day and on my way home, I passed this place. A former co-worker of mine knows a Jim Sproul, one of those who were fairly outspoken against the federal .gov overreach in Grant County and an organizer of the meeting that Ammon Bundy and his friends were to speak at. The family ranch that has been in their family for four generations:

Last edited by teddyearp; 03-09-2017 at 01:10 PM.
    Ted - K2AMD

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information