Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Preventing noise from other electronics

Preventing noise from other electronics

So I know this isn't quite ham radio, but I thought I'd post here because it will probably be a similar issue once I get my 70cm/2m radio.

On my CB radio, when I turn on the windshield wipers, the radio thinks it's receiving and it over powers the squelch. When transmitting, there is a bit of alternator whine. Not too bad, but a bit. I'm wondering if there is a good way to prevent this. Right now, the CB's power cables go directly to the battery. They are the cables that came with the radio, and nothing has been spliced in or added to the cables. The antenna ins't the greatest. It's a 4 foot Firestik, but its mounted on a "no ground-plane" mount. The SWR meter shows about 1.8:1.

I want to try to resolve as much of this as possible before buying an amateur radio for the Jeep. I was thinking that adding a large capacitor to the power lines might help eliminate noise from other electronics, but I have no idea how large of a capacitor I would need.

Any ideas?
    1995 Jeep Wrangler YJ Rio Grande, 31" tires, 3" lift, 12k lbs winch, front Spartan lockers
    We keep a log of our Jeep adventures on our website: Arizona Adventurers

Re: Preventing noise from other electronics

How is the antenna wire ran , there should be no loops or wrapped around any other wires

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    MPGs? Real trucks go by GPM...

You won't have the same issue with 70cm/2m, they use FM not AM. I am not sure how to solve your cb issue. There might be a noise filter you can add?
    82 Cherokee WT SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau Moab Seats/RCI 6point Harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/custom bumpers and roll bar/WARN 8000/steering brace/CO2 Tank/CB/dual batts/custom TC skid plate

I had that issue with my CB. Adding a noise filter in the power line did nothing. Found out the noise was caused mainly by the fuel pump. I installed a torroid in the power line close to the pump and it helped some.
    Silence is Golden, but Duct Tape comes in many colors.
    Practice Leave No Trace, leave it cleaner than you found it.
    Jorneyman Polyphase Meterman - IBEW Local 387

Quote Originally Posted by redneck20 View Post
    How is the antenna wire ran , there should be no loops or wrapped around any other wires
    The antenna cable is not run near any power lines or other wires. The cable is a bit long, so its wrapped around itself behind the CB unit, but not near other wires.

Quote Originally Posted by GilaMtnJeep View Post
    I had that issue with my CB. Adding a noise filter in the power line did nothing. Found out the noise was caused mainly by the fuel pump. I installed a torroid in the power line close to the pump and it helped some.
    Do you have a TJ? I've hear that TJ's have very noisy fuel pumps. For me the biggest offenders are the windshield wipers, and the LED pod lights. The pod lights also connect directly to the battery, so that might be part of the issue. I'll look at getting a torroid choke.
    1995 Jeep Wrangler YJ Rio Grande, 31" tires, 3" lift, 12k lbs winch, front Spartan lockers

Unrelated but the wire should not be wrapped around itself either your greatly decreasing the ant by wrapping the wire like that

Good to know, any recommendations for how to deal with extra coax cable?

Cut it off and put a new end on it, or find a longer route for it

Prepare yourself for the 18 foot gang.
    82 Cherokee WT SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau Moab Seats/RCI 6point Harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/custom bumpers and roll bar/WARN 8000/steering brace/CO2 Tank/CB/dual batts/custom TC skid plate

Might want to try powering the CB from a stand alone battery and see if the noise remains. That way you can determine if the noise is conducted on the poweline or radiated from the noise source. Try attacking the noise source. Start with confirming they are well grounded. Work from there.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    It's like an LJ... only bigger.

Quote Originally Posted by bmlbytes View Post
    The antenna cable is not run near any power lines or other wires. The cable is a bit long, so its wrapped around itself behind the CB unit, but not near other wires.

Do you have a TJ? I've hear that TJ's have very noisy fuel pumps. For me the biggest offenders are the windshield wipers, and the LED pod lights. The pod lights also connect directly to the battery, so that might be part of the issue. I'll look at getting a torroid choke.
    Yes, an 03 Sahara. I read a few articles online to try and track down the cause of the noise. First is to determine if it is coming through the power line or externally from the antenna. Mine came from both sources. The fuel pump was the hardest to nail down and the electric fan for the trans cooler was obvious. A torroid (if I have the right term) solved those. It's a metallic donut that I passed the power wires for each through. Bring them through and wrap 3-4 turn around it then continue on to the device.

The other noise source was coming in through the antenna. This is easy to determine. Just disconnect the coax at the base of the antenna and see if the noise goes away. If it does there isn't much you can do about it.

When I ran the coax (I had an 18' cable) I came from the antenna (mounted by the right rear tail light) and ran it under the rollbar padding. Came up the right rear rollbar, across the top center, up the driver's side, then to the CB. Mine is mounted overhead by the rearview so the length was almost perfect with no loops, etc.

I also made a flexible jumper by paralleling two pieces of 10 gauge wire. One end connect to the exhaust pipe at the rear most hanger and the frame close by. It actually helped knock the noise down just a touch.

I still have some but it is no where near as bad as when I first put the CB in.

Check your antenna mt!
    It's possable it's not grounded correctly!
    Same with the radio ground!
    Im back to the drawing board
    STAY TUNED!

Quote Originally Posted by azgypsy View Post
    Check your antenna mt!
    It's possable it's not grounded correctly!
    Same with the radio ground!
    Yes, this too!!

I physically grounded my mount to the body with one of those braided straps and did the same thing for the CB case.

I'll put a note on my phone calendar to come back to this friday night/saturday morning and give you a write up on the how to find and resolve noises on rx and noises on tx in mobile installations. It gets a bit much to type on a phone.

Lunatic Fridge

Sent from the FrankenHeep
    Quote Originally Posted by 4wheelinHawkeye View Post
    Welll... I might fall under the category "special" kinda crazy. Wait, what ? Did I just say....
    Quote Originally Posted by LO PHAT View Post
    You will fit right in with my group of misfits. I'll even make them promise to flop you gently.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar_Mike 2013 View Post
    Yup, I'm a crab. Crabs make me feel dirty.

Thanks everyone. I'll try a few of these suggestions. Lunatic_Fridge, thank you, I will look for that on Friday.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information