Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Repeater info for popular trails?

Repeater info for popular trails?

I am new to HAM radio. I was wondering if the rest of you would like to start to record which repeaters we have successfully connected to from the different trails. Maybe start a thread and keep the fluff to a minimum? Perhaps have someone (I would be happy) to take the input from the thread and keep a summary on the first post? SInce I am very new to the hobby I don't know if this is just dumb or troublesome or worthless or not really necessary. Thoughts?

I am thinking something like (example, I did not hit this repeater):

Bulldog at Ellsworth entrance/147.120/+/162.2 Handheld / 7 watts / rubber duck
    82 Cherokee WT SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau Moab Seats/RCI 6point Harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/custom bumpers and roll bar/WARN 8000/steering brace/CO2 Tank/CB/dual batts/custom TC skid plate

Re: Repeater info for popular trails?

did you look up 'chirp' ? has list of repeaters I am new to ham radio my self. Looking to get call I.D. number my self...

I have an iPhone and there is a free app called Repeater Book which uses GPS to give you a list of ocal repeaters. I'm pretty sure it's available for Android, too.

For example, I just pulled it up while sitting in my hotel room in Las Vegas. It tells me the nearest repeater is less than a half mile, atop the the old Las Vegas Hilton. It gives the frequency, offset, PL and auto patch info.

Oddly enough, I have never tried to access a repeater from a trail. I typically use simplex for improved range and clarity among drivers. Maybe I ought to check the app next time I am out and see what repeaters I am near and see if I can work it.

Life's Short - Play Dirty

Quote Originally Posted by Will E View Post
    I am new to HAM radio. I was wondering if the rest of you would like to start to record which repeaters we have successfully connected to from the different trails. Maybe start a thread and keep the fluff to a minimum? Perhaps have someone (I would be happy) to take the input from the thread and keep a summary on the first post? SInce I am very new to the hobby I don't know if this is just dumb or troublesome or worthless or not really necessary. Thoughts?

I am thinking something like (example, I did not hit this repeater):

Bulldog at Ellsworth entrance/147.120/+/162.2 Handheld / 7 watts / rubber duck

It's a good thought in theory, but as you know from your studies, whether or not you hit a repeater depends upon your line of sight to the repeater, which will vary at different points on the trail. For example, I have communicated with the Mt Ord repeater from certain parts of Sunflower, but when down in the canyon, I could not.
    K7ARB

And equipment and antenna can impact it too. That's where I was thinking it might be cool and useful to map out some of the more popular trails. It might even help in an emergency if you have an idea of where and what repeaters you can hit.

Speaking of antenna's. What do you guys like to use for external? 1/4 or 5/8? Reading some forums I have learned Antenna discussions are similar to our tire and oil discussions, front vs rear locker, automatic vs manual. haha. Have you found that the rubber duck antenna is good enough for simplex on the trails since we don't wander too far apart?
    82 Cherokee WT SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau Moab Seats/RCI 6point Harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/custom bumpers and roll bar/WARN 8000/steering brace/CO2 Tank/CB/dual batts/custom TC skid plate

I like a Larsen 2/70 half wave modified with a shock spring. makes a very rugged high gain setup.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
    Leonard Pennock (AD7AS)
    98 XJ, 5" lift, 30/44 Detroit locker

I'll confirm that the app "Repeater Book" is available for Android. However, I would still struggle loading manually in the field, too used to using CHIRP. But I believe you have that mastered if I remember correctly.
    Ted - K2AMD
    2006 KJ pretty much stock, but well stocked when I travel!
    Quote Originally Posted by Locked & Loaded View Post
    LOL. I'm one of the dbags.

Will, your idea is good, it's just hard to put together some really concise info on this. There are so many variables, plus most of us don't drive around testing repeaters all the time, which is frowned upon. I can tell you that the Crown King repeater works for me from most of the valley and from all the trails just North of Phoenix, using a vehicle-mounted 60w radio with a basic Diamond dual-band antenna (2m/70cm). I've hit CK from as far East as Stanton/Congress! The Shaw repeater works from most areas in the NE valley and towards the lakes. White Tanks (multiple repeaters) are good all over the West, with extreme coverage both North and South of there. The Carefree repeater seems very limited, might be good from the Black Canyon area but haven't tried it there. It's been hard to hit for me from most places in the valley.
    Carlos Alvarez
    2015 copper pearl JKU Rubicon
    KG7EQI

Speaking of antenna's. What do you guys like to use for external? 1/4 or 5/8? Reading some forums I have learned Antenna discussions are similar to our tire and oil discussions, front vs rear locker, automatic vs manual. haha. Have you found that the rubber duck antenna is good enough for simplex on the trails since we don't wander too far apart?
    For my handheld, I have a Diamond SRJ77CA. In back to back testing with the stock antenna (Baofeng UV-5R gen 2), I get over 50% more range.
    Carlos Alvarez
    KG7EQI

Why is trying to see if you can connect to a repeater frowned upon? Is it because you are using the frequency? I was thinking like every 1/2 hour or so see if you can raise someone (or arrange for someone to be listening for ya). I was on camelback a few weeks ago and tested if I could get to the Chase Bank Building repeater. I appreciate any input.

kurchunk is frowned on. call for someone to talk to is fine.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
    Leonard Pennock (AD7AS)

I'm not sure where it crosses the line from legit testing to an annoyance. Ham people are a weird bunch (like a lot of fantatical Jeep people) and I find it hard to understand them. So let me clarify...some hams frown upon excessive repeater testing, where "excessive" is a dubious value that they seem to make up on the spot.

I got *****ed at for using an auto-patch just to see that it worked and test my ability to do it properly. It was my first time. One a-hole decided that was trivial and inappropriate.
    Carlos Alvarez
    KG7EQI

Kurchunk is actually illegal. Falls under of category of not identifying at end of the transmission.

Leonard Pennock (AD7AS)
    Sent with Tapatalk
    Leonard Pennock (AD7AS)

Hey, I learned a new term today. Kerchunk.

It does sound like I have a lot to learn about the Ham community. I figured you could jump on a repeater, call out your sign and see if someone responds. Seems kind of social. I imagine a scenario where you call out on the trail, someone responds. You tell them you are out having a nice time and checking to see what kind of areas you can get to the repeater. Talk for a few minutes about the weather and such. Maybe even tell them you will call back in another half hour or so and if they are listening you would appreciate a response. Or maybe check to see if a lower wattage signal works. Then clear out with your call sign. Seems kinda geeky to me, which I thought the Ham folks liked.

I did notice the first couple of times I tried to hit the Chase Bank repeater it came back with an automated response. Does that mean it actually 'heard me' or did it just detect a transmission on that frequency?

I also noticed on one of my first few days their was an automated response that actually repeated the call sign of a different Ham. Can some of them do this?

The way you stated in your second paragraph is the good way to do it.

ARA repeaters that have not been used for over 10 min will send a long voice ID when first brought up. If I don't know how long a repeater has been unused, I'll kurchunk it to allow it to send that ID and then make my call as it has a tendency to step on the first transmission. This kind of kurchunk is legal as it is part of the full conversation and comes under the 10 minute rule. The ID you are hearing is the repeater owner ID.

Leonard Pennock (AD7AS)
    Sent with Tapatalk
    Leonard Pennock (AD7AS)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information