Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Crawler Hauler setups

Re: Crawler Hauler setups

Thank you all for the discussion on this thread. Its great to hear other people's experiences. We are still researching options and do not plan on buying anything too soon.

Yes, that is not much of camper but trailer is worth price . If you have room but have you ever seen cab-over campers that fit on flat bed trucks they do make them THEY HAVE MORE FLOOR SPACE WIDER . They will fit on flat bed trailer you can remove it with jacks & use trailer for other things. But small 16' car trailer & camper will take up same space in yard.. just saying . NOT TRYING TO TELL YOU WHAT TO GET JUST LOOKING AT OPTIONS .
    Last edited by shortestbus; 12-07-2016 at 03:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Estrada View Post
    No heat, A/C, fridge stove or oven? Whats the point?
    When I use a camper for camping I'm mostly just looking for a decent bed . Could care less about everything else. I don't camp in the desert so AC was never an issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    MPGs? Real trucks go by GPM...

Quote Originally Posted by My1stJeep View Post
    Check out Dune Sport, they make custom toy haulers and can make it fit a Jeep. They are local in the East Valley, they sell directly to you so no middle man.
    That is a option, but be prepared for a car size payment for the next 10-15 years. Yes they are local, and yes the can build one to haul a Jeep, but they also have a 6 month lead time, and they aren't all that they try to hype themselves to be. If anyone asks I will give my experience with them (not the greatest).

But back on topic, I have done all 3 methods listed, cabover in bed of truck with 20' bumperpull, cabover on the front of gooseneck, and currently the full blown toyhauler that has been setup to hold a Jeep and then some. The problem with a cabover is space, at the most you might be able to have is 3 people. As for having the cabover in the truck vs. on the front of a gooseneck is the only real benefit for the GN mount is that it is a redneck toyhauler that you can just hook up and go.

If would have had more free time I would have went the route of mounting a smaller toyhauler on the front of my GN. I need the extra room for the smaller toys. But like it has been said before the tongue weight starts to get up there if your not always hauling a Jeep, so you would have to do some research on the length of the GN trailer and toyhauler/travel trailer donor.

As for which one pulls better, with all the setups I have done, I couldn't pick a winner. I feel I have setup my truck and trailers properly and have never had a issue. I will say that the toyhauler is probably the smoothest, but it has been the only trailer with a air ride hitch. I think backing the bumperpull was/is easier for me, but that is because I got really good and use my trailer for everything. I am getting better with the toyhauler. As far as my truck setup goes, 1 ton with automatic pressure controlled air bags and big wig rear sway-bar. AS for the hitches go I have the torq-lift on the rear for the bumper pull and a B&W GN in the bed. Also, TIRES on the truck and trailer effect a lot. Remember that not all the load range E tires are the same, most of the 17" tires only have a load index of 121. And put load range E's on the trailer, or if you can fit them load range G's ( that is what is on the GN in the picture).

Name:  truck GN campers.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  314.6 KB

Name:  Toyhaulers.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  504.4 KB
    2013 JKU RUBICON 10TH ANNIVERSARY EDITION: Wife's DD
    2003 TJ Rubicon: Trailer queen
    1990 XJ: Somewhere in Mesa

Quote Originally Posted by AZJeeps View Post

Name:  Toyhaulers.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  504.4 KB

Sick! More info please! Was this a custom build?

Yeah, I had dune sport build it. It is a 40' with a reinforced frame and double flooring with a 5k ramp. It can hold my 4 door JK and a quad.

The reason I don't really showcase it is because I had a bad experience with the owner of dune sport. With the last conversation with him of him threatening to sue me because of a review I gave them on another forum.
    In all it works, just a lot of small details that they overlooked, and a very bad attitude when confronted about things that they did wrong.

Yeah, I had dune sport build it. It is a 40' with a reinforced frame and double flooring with a 5k ramp. It can hold my 4 door JK and a quad.

The reason I don't really showcase it is because I had a bad experience with the owner of dune sport. With the last conversation with him of him threatening to sue me because of a review I gave them on another forum.
    In all it works, just a lot of small details that they overlooked, and a very bad attitude when confronted about things that they did wrong.
    That doesnt sound good, especially knowing the cost of something like that. Looks great, but it would be out of my league.

And just to touch on the legal weights again, always think about the weights individually. GVWR, Pin weight and rear axle weight. The manufacturer of the truck (especially dodge) will tell you that your truck can tow 15000 (or more) pounds, but the pin weight on a trailer that size will put you over on the GVWR and the RAWR.

You'll get stories all day long on the webs about people that pulled the weight with no problems. But if you slide into stopped traffic on a down hill grade you're going to feel all alone.
    Non-College Educated Working Class White Deplorable....

I know that I am over on my GVWR weight, but the toyhauler has less pin weight than my GN setup did so I think I am very close to max if not just over. Again I am only basing that on how much air I had to put in the airbags. The one good thing about the toyhauler is that the frame they used only added the extra crossmembers the the axles back. So I think that helped me with the pin weight.

I really need to take it down and get it weighed empty and loaded.

I really need to take it down and get it weighed empty and loaded.
    I weighed mine empty. Even full of water and propane, food and drink, I'm actually okay with everything except the length. Just a tad over.....

When the time comes to put the bike and a SxS in it, and tow the jeep, I'll be over on my combined carry weight by almost 1K. But my pin weight, axle weight and GVWR should still be okay since most of that weight will be behind the axles.
    Non-College Educated Working Class White Deplorable....

i didn't read all the pages so i apologize if this setup has been posted already. this is obviously a production model but you could build something close to it with a little ingenuity.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    the early bird gets the worm........but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Cool thread. Nicole and I are in the same boat. We have two small children so having a nice camper is required. Throw in that we have our camper at a place that rents it out and forget it. I want a 40' low boy gooseneck with our current 25' camper on it. She wants something we can rent out, I.E. a class c or small class a that will tow a trailer with the buggy on it. The decision hasn't been made yet. As of now we can't take the camper and the buggy at the same time. Thankfully the buggy isn't finished yet so it's not critical. We will probably wind up with a small class a, and I'll use the truck to haul the buggy or camper when we don't have the kids, which is very very rare. Then again we might just let the rental thing go and buy a gooseneck.

It's a lot to think about. You want something comfortable for the kids yet still somewhat practical. I'm really digging that gray 40' 5th wheel posted above, that's awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by mingoglia View Post
    For the record, I'm a douchebag.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chili View Post
    Shaft size/strength is pretty important.
    "Randabuggy 2.0" in progress

Quote Originally Posted by djui5 View Post
    ...Thankfully the buggy isn't finished yet so it's not critical.
    This cracks me up! Sorry, brother!

As to Class A vs C, that cabover bed in the C's sure is nice for kid/s sleeping. And for extra storage. It's basically a queen size bed up there, so also good for friends to crash in. Dinette/couch beds are typically pretty small for adults. And I like not having to set anything up every night/morning.
    I wear sun visors and drink Budweisers.

I have one. Love it. Ty is correct, they pull crappy without the Jeep on the back. Pulling what is essentially a 35' 5th wheel/gooseneck around town does require some planning and attention. Only real complaint I have is that the bed in the coach isn't great. Having the truck bed room available on longer trips is really nice.

Last edited by YELACON; 12-24-2016 at 10:18 AM.

Thanks for everyone's thoughts. I have decided to stick with a cabover camper and bumper pull trailer. I just ordered a 18 ft trailer today from Gravely in Apache Junction. Will be looking at cabovers later this year.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread Information