Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Crawler Hauler setups

Re: Crawler Hauler setups

nice setup! That makes a lot more sense than the camper trailer setup
    Burn it and beat on it

Some people call it towing triple and some call it towing double. I call it double.

Here's something to keep in mind. Your maximum towing capacity is going to be around 12K for that truck (I'm assuming some options on the truck so I may be a little off, but not much). So when you subtract the weight of the rig and the weight of the camper from that, it doesn't leave much room for trailer weight.

They do make toyhaulers that can carry the rig inside, you would probably have to swap out your tires to lower and narrow the rig, then put them back on when you get to your destination. I had an attitude AK21 bumper pull that had a cargo capacity of 6K. You could also do that with fifth wheel TH as well.

I spent the last year studying different setups and chose to tow double behind a fifth wheel TH. I have other toys that I need in the trailer. If the heap was the only toy, I would've bought a 26-28 foot fifth wheel RV (non toyhauler) and put a trailer behind it. The toyhaulers are much heavier than the camp trailers. The camp trailers are really nice inside compared to a toy hauler; unless you spend 40K.

Something like this:

^^not mine. I did think about going that route because my wife really wanted it. (the trailers are very nice inside).

Good luck, happy hunting!
    Non-College Educated Working Class White Deplorable....

Quote Originally Posted by OTR-93YJ View Post
    Some people call it towing triple and some call it towing double. I call it double.

Here's something to keep in mind. Your maximum towing capacity is going to be around 12K for that truck (I'm assuming some options on the truck so I may be a little off, but not much). So when you subtract the weight of the rig and the weight of the camper from that, it doesn't leave much room for trailer weight.

They do make toyhaulers that can carry the rig inside, you would probably have to swap out your tires to lower and narrow the rig, then put them back on when you get to your destination. I had an attitude AK21 bumper pull that had a cargo capacity of 6K. You could also do that with fifth wheel TH as well.

I spent the last year studying different setups and chose to tow double behind a fifth wheel TH. I have other toys that I need in the trailer. If the heap was the only toy, I would've bought a 26-28 foot fifth wheel RV (non toyhauler) and put a trailer behind it. The toyhaulers are much heavier than the camp trailers. The camp trailers are really nice inside compared to a toy hauler; unless you spend 40K.

Something like this:

^^not mine. I did think about going that route because my wife really wanted it. (the trailers are very nice inside).

Good luck, happy hunting!
    This is my plan.
    Barry
    Wheel it while ya can
    and sway bars are overrated. IMO

The only problem with pulling a car trailer or any other trailer with actually tongue weight is that you remove weight from the from of the 5th and rear of the truck . And when stopping all the weight of the combination you want the extra weight on your truck to help braking . The best thing if your goin to use a regular 5th wheel camper is to just flat tow behind it . And get a brake buddy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    MPGs? Real trucks go by GPM...

Quote Originally Posted by redneck20 View Post
    The only problem with pulling a car trailer or any other trailer with actually tongue weight is that you remove weight from the from of the 5th and rear of the truck . And when stopping all the weight of the combination you want the extra weight on your truck to help braking . The best thing if your goin to use a regular 5th wheel camper is to just flat tow behind it . And get a brake buddy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes sir!

I'm looking into braking systems right now for mine (I flat tow). The tailor made systems are very pricey so I'll probably end up making something myself. But honestly, I did some experimental panic breaking with my set up and it does very well. I bought a triple axle trailer that is not real long. My friends have double axle trailers that are longer than mine. The extra axle means extra braking.

Something else I'll mention is these trailers do not come with shocks, only springs. I plan to install shocks as well. The trailer will bounce going down the road and that will transfer into the rear unit.

Quote Originally Posted by OTR-93YJ View Post
    Yes sir!

I'm looking into braking systems right now for mine (I flat tow). The tailor made systems are very pricey so I'll probably end up making something myself. But honestly, I did some experimental panic breaking with my set up and it does very well. I bought a triple axle trailer that is not real long. My friends have double axle trailers that are longer than mine. The extra axle means extra braking.

Something else I'll mention is these trailers do not come with shocks, only springs. I plan to install shocks as well. The trailer will bounce going down the road and that will transfer into the rear unit.
    Shocks will also keep tires on the ground (less wheel hop) more control = more breaking or better breaking...
    Last edited by shortestbus; 12-07-2016 at 01:09 PM.

Last edited by bab; 12-06-2016 at 08:09 PM.
    i'm friends with floppy aka rockreadyyj07
    need help with your jeep or any other vehicle pm me

Here is mine. Too small for your needs I know, but it works great for my purposes. I could always throw the camper on a gooseneck down the line if I found a reason to.

Name:  DSC_0014-1024x683.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  186.6 KBName:  IMG_0221.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  89.3 KB

Really like your set up.

That is the way I would go as well. Wait...I did go that way when I had the LJ. Less weight, less money, better handling, easier to maneuver. But then it is just me and my wife.

It also has the added bonus, without the trailer and Jeep, to be a pretty flexible outfit for back country travel and camping that no RNTH could ever access. We took ours for two weeks up through Utah, Idaho and Montana (back roads all the way) and found a secluded camping spot every night.
    Burn it and beat on it

Check out Dune Sport, they make custom toy haulers and can make it fit a Jeep. They are local in the East Valley, they sell directly to you so no middle man.
    Chris
    4 Angry Squirrels

My1stJeep@excite.com

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    4 Bangers Rule

Quote Originally Posted by Tortured Metal View Post
    Really like your set up.

That is the way I would go as well. Wait...I did go that way when I had the LJ. Less weight, less money, better handling, easier to maneuver. But then it is just me and my wife.

It also has the added bonus, without the trailer and Jeep, to be a pretty flexible outfit for back country travel and camping that no RNTH could ever access. We took ours for two weeks up through Utah, Idaho and Montana (back roads all the way) and found a secluded camping spot every night.
    Thanks, yeah this kind of setup is great if you aren't bringing kids.

That's one hell of a trip. I'd love to do that some day.

Quote Originally Posted by BEETROOT View Post
    Name:  IMG_0221.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  89.3 KB
    That is exactly what I wanted to do, but the wife wanted more room. We do take grand kids with us sometimes.

Look at this.. Good price not sure on condition .

http://flagstaff.craigslist.org/tro/5891110591.html

Notice why he is selling it?

"Have used it a few times but it to big to fit in my yard / maneuver around" [sic]

And that is with a truck camper, not a camp trailer on the bed.
    Burn it and beat on it

Quote Originally Posted by shortestbus View Post
    Look at this.. Good price not sure on condition .

http://flagstaff.craigslist.org/tro/5891110591.html
    No heat, A/C, fridge stove or oven? Whats the point?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information