You'd have to drive both and see

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    MPGs? Real trucks go by GPM...

Re: Crawler Hauler setups

Quote Originally Posted by redneck20 View Post
    The weight is distributed much better and lower
    You'd have to drive both and see

I have driven and operated all types of 5th wheels, goose necks, and bumper pulls over the years (including 80k GVW), and more weight and greater length do not make life simpler, or more comfortable. I know from experience. Trying to move heavy loads around on crowded highways and in congested traffic is not something to be viewed as more comfortable. Slower acceleration and longer stopping distances and less maneuverability, among many other factors, are not positive outcomes from this type of setup.

I am not saying there are not tradeoffs, but it is not at all the rosy picture that one would perceive from that post.
    Burn it and beat on it

But comparing a truck with slide in camper and Loaded BP trailer . Vs a loaded GN no matter what length or weight you put on the GN, IMO the GN will be a better drive

MPGs? Real trucks go by GPM...

Good discussion guys this is the kind of info that I want. Just realized one of my links is dead. Looking at something like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/291956678349

35' GN trailer with 20' camper and 15' Jeep parking.

Adams truck is a SRW, on lift springs and aftermarket "mud tires"...not the best setup for a heavy slide in.

No perfect solutions. As everyone has said, each option involve s a compromise. We have a little class c moho that can tow the buggy. Not quickly or happily (uphill anyway) but gets us there. Even it gets a bit crowded for 3 of us and a dog when we're forced to stay inside. And it sucks as a commuter if it's the only vehicle we take camping and then want to go anywhere.
    I wear sun visors and drink Budweisers.

In your pic above, you are missing out on the 7' feet of usable space above the tongue of the gooseneck. This is why most people go with the cabover camper instead. You can also go with a shorter gn trailer with a cabover camper and still retain the space of a 18' travel trailer, plus you gain storage space where the truck bed would be.

What percentage of trips are you going to take with or without the jeep? That is your deciding factor between cabover and bumper pull vs RNTH. After trial and error, RNTH works best for me.

I have had both and also towed a 30' toyhauler. By far the most stable setup towing is the RNTH, but it is also the heaviest.

I am not a fan of the popup cabover camper due to windy conditions, they are noisy, a pain to close, and are very cold due to lack of insulation. For a similar weight you can get a lightweight full shell camper.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Jacobson View Post
    Adams truck is a SRW, on lift springs and aftermarket "mud tires"...not the best setup for a heavy slide in.
    I am SRW and on mud tires, but plan to swap the muds for AT once they wear out. Its running 35s vs the stock 34 tires. I do not like it on muds, but the previous owner put them on. No sense in replacing good tires immediately. I am also not lifted. The only suspension mods are a 2" spacer to level the stance and airbags in the rear. Everything else is factory.

Ok, gotcha. Thought there was more bro dozer in it than that!
    I wear sun visors and drink Budweisers.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Jacobson View Post
    Ok, gotcha. Thought there was more bro dozer in it than that!
    Previous owner was more Bro than me LOL.

Either way getting a big cab over on there will not be ideal with the SRW vd DRW.

whatever you look at, tow it without the rig on the back. Mine tows like crap without weight on the back.

Quote Originally Posted by AZDIESELPOWER View Post
    In your pic above, you are missing out on the 7' feet of usable space above the tongue of the gooseneck. This is why most people go with the cabover camper instead. You can also go with a shorter gn trailer with a cabover camper and still retain the space of a 18' travel trailer, plus you gain storage space where the truck bed would be.

What percentage of trips are you going to take with or without the jeep? That is your deciding factor between cabover and bumper pull vs RNTH. After trial and error, RNTH works best for me.

I have had both and also towed a 30' toyhauler. By far the most stable setup towing is the RNTH, but it is also the heaviest.

I am not a fan of the popup cabover camper due to windy conditions, they are noisy, a pain to close, and are very cold due to lack of insulation. For a similar weight you can get a lightweight full shell camper.
    Any pics of your setup?

I agree on the popup. We want something with hard sides. a 5th on a HD trailer that can fit my Jeep would be the ideal setup, but doing it yourself costs more $$. Another concern is that you start to push the weight limits. The one linked above is a 4k camper dry.

Quote Originally Posted by ShmUDE View Post
    whatever you look at, tow it without the rig on the back. Mine tows like crap without weight on the back.
    I have heard this is an issue and its due to the weight distribution on the trailer.

In your pic above, you are missing out on the 7' feet of usable space above the tongue of the gooseneck. This is why most people go with the cabover camper instead.
    Definitely. A cabover makes a lot more sense on a gooseneck than the camper shown in that picture. That trailer is loooonnnnnggggg.

I bought my camper with pop up roof because I needed to be able to hide it from the HOA behind my RV gate. Mine is only about 6.5' tall when off the truck and lowered. I also liked the idea of 2' less of wind resistance up top. But if I had it to do over again I would buy one with full sides, only because raising and lowering the roof is annoying. It holds in the heat surprisingly well with the two layers of vinyl all zipped up.

Still a work in progress, the to do list keeps getting longer.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information