Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Crawler Hauler setups

Crawler Hauler setups

Now that I have a proper tow rig we are looking at crawler hauler setups. We are not buying anything for probably a year or 2 unless a smoking deal comes around, but are shopping options.

We could do a cabover camper, but the space in them is limited.

Saw this on Pirate and wondered why more dont use something like this http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/vehic...oy-hauler.html

Something else we saw that we liked:http://www.ebay.com/itm/291956678349

What is your setup and what do you like or hate about it?

Thank you for your thoughts.
    Last edited by Estrada; 12-05-2016 at 06:56 AM.

Re: Crawler Hauler setups

option # 2 is a long trailer for only 2 axles. especially with the jeep on the rear. Ty has a big *** triple axle trailer and his stuff barely fits on. living quarter's are small also. just a bigger spank tank. people triple tow behind 5th wheels everyday. the best of both worlds. I'm looking forward it,
    Barry
    Wheel it while ya can
    and sway bars are overrated. IMO

I dont like the idea of pulling a triple but havent ruled it out. Waiting to see what others on here experience is like.

I see no reason why it cant be on 2 axles if they are rated for heavy loads and have heavy duty tires.

Quote Originally Posted by metalman View Post
    people triple tow behind 5th wheels everyday. the best of both worlds. I'm looking forward it,
    People triple tow with a full size vehicle behind a 5th wheel? I don't think I've ever seen that.

I would hate driving around like that, and I have a CDL with triples endorsement.

Quote Originally Posted by BEETROOT View Post
    People triple tow with a full size vehicle behind a 5th wheel? I don't think I've ever seen that.

I would hate driving around like that, and I have a CDL with triples endorsement.
    X2 ....just not worth towing 2 things all the time...but that's just my .02 cents ...

Adam I was in the same boat as you a year ago. I don't know if you have ruled out a truck camper, but in case it is an option...this was my thought process when I bought mine.

I wanted the option to go camping with or without the Jeep. A true toy hauler works for this too, but then you have a lot of wasted space in the back if you don't bring the Jeep.

I wanted to be able to take the Jeep without the camper. I always trailer my Jeep, so for local stuff I leave the camper at home. I wouldn't want to have to bring a whole toyhauler just for a quick run on Elvis or something. If you don't always trailer or if you also have a flat trailer, this isn't an issue for you.

I wanted to be able to get to remote locations. A truck camper can make it to a ton of places that a towable camper cannot.

I wanted to be able to take my whole setup right to Jeep trailheads. With my truck camper and flat trailer I can still take my rig right to the same places as anyone else who trailers. The flagpole in Florence, Oak Flats, the little campsites next to Payette, etc. These are impossible or much more difficult to reach when you are 60 feet long.

The main downside to a truck camper is the size. They are much tighter inside obviously. But the point of camping is to be outdoors, right. The only time I spend in the camper is sleeping and cooking really.

*Edit. The other downside to truck campers is the price. Suckers are expensive. For some reason a lot more than a comparable towable.

The other downside to cab over campers is weight. Just about all of them on the road are over weight. (unless they're empty)
    Non-College Educated Working Class White Deplorable....

Quote Originally Posted by OTR-93YJ View Post
    The other downside to cab over campers is weight. Just about all of them on the road are over weight. (unless they're empty)
    Adam's Superduty should be able to handle a pretty good sized camper and keep it under payload capacity. Mine fully loaded is less than half of what my truck is rated for.

ditto on posts 6 and 7. Solution I found, and it worked really well for me, was a pop up truck camper. Cheaper, much lighter weight, less top heavy and much less wind resistance.

With an 18' flatbed bumper pull trailer with a tool box bolted on front it was the best overall compromise situation that I found. But it does require a 3/4 ton pickup and really needs to be a diesel if you don't want to wear yourself out getting there.

Something else to think about on that "redneck" toyhauler is that the weight of the 5th wheel or gooseneck trailer is substantial. Combined with the weight of the camp trailer and all of that weight spread between the truck rear axle and the front axle of the trailer, the tongue weight on the truck without the Jeep on the back to balance it out is scary.
    Burn it and beat on it

Name:  Gooseneck Trailer Camper.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  95.0 KB

I plan to do a trailer similar to the one shown here (not mine).
    2005 Jeep Wrangler TJ Unlimited Rubicon

^ for something like that, why wouldn't you just use the truck camper as intended on the truck and pull a small trailer? Is it just so you don't have to load and unload the camper on the truck?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BEETROOT View Post
    ^ for something like that, why wouldn't you just use the truck camper as intended on the truck and pull a small trailer? Is it just so you don't have to load and unload the camper on the truck?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    That setup will pull much more smoothly, stable, and more comfortable that a truck camper and BP trailer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    MPGs? Real trucks go by GPM...

To be more clear my tow rig is a 11 f250 6.7 crew cab long box with a 5th and air bags. It can pull any of the options. Just trying to see others experience with the different setups

One thing I'm trying to plan for is fitting a full family in there. Right now it's just 3 of us but there will be another child eventually. Having 3 beds is ideal. That space would also be nice for taking friends too (think KOH). That's what had me interested in the one linked above with the 16 foot camper.

You could always look at custom toy haulers. I know a few people that have them and can fit a stretched jeep in it

MPGs? Real trucks go by GPM...

Quote Originally Posted by redneck20 View Post
    That setup will pull much more smoothly, stable, and more comfortable that a truck camper and BP trailer
    Not sure how pulling around another 3,000 or 4,000 pounds of weight and another 15 or 20 feet of length equates to being more stable and comfortable
    Burn it and beat on it

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information