Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: triple tow

Re: triple tow

I have pulled 14,000lbs. 24' gooseneck 2 axles with 10,000 lbs. 18' box car trailer 2 axles all axles had breaks . Pulled fine & safe.. Not legally ...
    Last edited by shortestbus; 12-01-2016 at 02:59 PM.

Hey Barry
    John beazely pulled a gooseneck camper and his flatbed loaded with his rig every year to Wyoming to hunt with his dad and brothers behind his Chevy pu!
    Dave
    Im back to the drawing board
    STAY TUNED!

It could probably be done without any issues. But the law does state 5th wheel and not gooseneck. You might see me doing it one of these days.
    Barry
    Wheel it while ya can
    and sway bars are overrated. IMO

My friend Mark tows his 5th wheel with a buggy behind. He does not like it. I think there is an overall length limit too. 65 feet is what I remember.
    "if they are like LoPhat, then their heads are stuck so far up their rear they have re-emerged as a head."

Real world experience here. Make sure the tow bar for the jeep (when flat towing) is level when it's hooked to the rear of the trailer. Mine wasn't and it was a terrible tow. I corrected that and you can't even feel the jeep back there.

I don't have real world experience with the goose neck, but I was told the goose neck is not as strong as the fifth wheel hitch. Supposedly that is why you cannot legally pull doubles.

I have four friends that flat tow the jeeps behind fifth wheel rv's. Have for years, no issues.

If the second trailer is a vehicle it's exempt from needing brakes. But since it's 4K+ pounds I'm going to rig up a way to set the brakes on the jeep when I'm stopping.

Everything else mentioned is spot on. 65 foot max, break away braking, yada yada.

You need to see what the combined carry weight rating is on your tow rig and make sure the gross of both of the trailers does not exceed that. Most people never think about the "legal" part, but if you're ever in a wreck the lawyers will go through that kind with a fine toothed comb.
    Non-College Educated Working Class White Deplorable....

First must be a king pin . If you have a GN you can change it too a king pin and use a 5th wheel receive easy . I've hauled various assortments of triples, quad and even 5 vehicle .
    It's really not that bad as long as weight is set right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    MPGs? Real trucks go by GPM...

Check with Cliffs welding in Mesa he may have the answers and also about the safety aspect......1-480-832-0570
    Spend every minute you can with your family,
    you will never get that time back.

I know this is an old thread but maybe I can shed some light on this subject. I have a 15,000 GVW 5th wheel that I bought just because it had a really strong frame. I built my own hitch that is stronger than anything you can buy. I towed 700 miles to Moab and 400 miles to Colorado the next year. I got along great except for bridges and uneven roads. The front trailer pivots in the middle where the axles are so this swings the hitch on the back of the middle trailer back and forth quite a bit. The Jeep and trailer only weighed 5000 pounds so I never felt any movement in the truck but sometimes when I looked in my mirrors I'd have to hold my breath because the Jeep would be in the wrong lane at times. It's a bad idea to tow this way and if you look at your GVW rating on your truck it's not rated to tow 20,000 pounds. My diesel's GVW is 22,000 pounds, I was rolling down the highway at 27,000. truck pulled it great but if you get into an accident you're screwed.

Quote Originally Posted by 4-rocks View Post
    I know this is an old thread but maybe I can shed some light on this subject. I have a 15,000 GVW 5th wheel that I bought just because it had a really strong frame. I built my own hitch that is stronger than anything you can buy. I towed 700 miles to Moab and 400 miles to Colorado the next year. I got along great except for bridges and uneven roads. The front trailer pivots in the middle where the axles are so this swings the hitch on the back of the middle trailer back and forth quite a bit. The Jeep and trailer only weighed 5000 pounds so I never felt any movement in the truck but sometimes when I looked in my mirrors I'd have to hold my breath because the Jeep would be in the wrong lane at times. It's a bad idea to tow this way and if you look at your GVW rating on your truck it's not rated to tow 20,000 pounds. My diesel's GVW is 22,000 pounds, I was rolling down the highway at 27,000. truck pulled it great but if you get into an accident you're screwed.
    With all due respect, your diesel's GVW is not 22,000 pounds. I strongly suggest you learn what those letters mean.

The GVW is the weight of the vehicle at the time is it weighed. The GVWR is the maximum weight the vehicle can weigh when fully loaded. The GCVW is the maximum total weight of truck and trailer(s) together.

If you're going down the highway and your second trailer (your jeep) is in the other lane, you're doing it wrong. There is a possibility that if you learn what all these different weights are and what they mean, things will go smoother for you.

The Pivot you mention at the trailer axles should only happen when turning. Going down the road the only action at those axles should be up/down. You may have bad spring shackles. I recently bought a 15K fifth wheel that is 10 years old and found all the shackles worn badly. Also, if you are going to tow tandem tralers, it's a good idea to install shock absorbers on the middle trailer. It stabilizes the ride.
    Last edited by OTR-93YJ; 06-30-2017 at 10:56 AM.

With all due respect, his diesel could have a GVW of 22,000 lbs. I drove a Freightliner sleeper cab that weighed in at around 18,000 lbs. A condo cab could get close to that. The rest of it sounds about right though.

Bill
    90 YJ, 93 4.0l, AX-15, 3.55 D35/30 with ARB F/R, Atlas 4.3:1, Warn Full Float kit rear, on 33's, M.O.R.E motor mounts, 1" BL, Warn 9k.

You are absolutely right. I made an assumption that he was talking about a 3/4 or 1 ton truck, not a semi.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information