Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ill describe my perfect camping spot, feel free to let me know if youve seen it!!

ill describe my perfect camping spot, feel free to let me know if youve seen it!!

my perfect camping spot would be somewhere ill more than likely never see anyone else, somewhere i can relax for a few days, possibly do some stream fishing and not be hassled by strangers. preferably blm and moderately difficult to reach, not for most stock vehicles. super green forest, up on a mountain with an incredible view, near a stream. cool days, cold nights. hopefully no further than 4-5 hours away from phoenix. if you've seen my perfect camping spot or something similar please clue me in, i desperately need to escape the city for a few days!!

Re: ill describe my perfect camping spot, feel free to let me know if youve seen it!!

Try haggler creek east of payson
    Or maybe the black river north of globe!
    Both are great trout creeks.
    Im back to the drawing board
    STAY TUNED!

Re: ill describe my perfect camping spot, feel free to let me know if youve seen it!!

Quote Originally Posted by azgypsy View Post
    Try haggler creek east of payson
    Or maybe the black river north of globe!
    Both are great trout creeks.
    thanks a lot gypsy, im looking up both spots as we speak. i spend a lot of time in payson so hopefully ill be seeing that spot this week. ive only ever driven through globe so that will be cool to check out

There's no fishing but check out the Coconino N.F. near Casner Trail. The trailhead is gated and that part of the forest is near two wilderness areas.

The closer to the trailhead you go, the fewer people you will see. The two times I've gone, the only people seen that deep into the woods were some hunters scouting and a couple of ranchers. The first time, we saw more deer and elk than people!

Unless you like the cold, this is not the time to go up there as it is north of Sedona, west of Kachina Village. We use the Flagstaff weather to determine the forecast. In the summer, as you're making your way to the area, you will see a lot of people but as you continue, you will see fewer and fewer. If you want solitude, keep going until you reach the burn area from the Slide Rock fire in 2014, we camped just beyond the burn in 2015 and did not see another human until the next morning when we were on our way to the trailhead.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

To Gypsy's list I'd add

http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/tonto...35657&actid=33

May be a little developed for ya, but a great base for all kinds of exploring.
    Good judgement comes from experience. Experience more often than not comes from bad judgement.

I like Haggler creek but you are not going to not see people there.
    82 Cherokee WT SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau Moab Seats/RCI 6point Harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/custom bumpers and roll bar/WARN 8000/steering brace/CO2 Tank/CB/dual batts/custom TC skid plate

Also check out any access to Chevelon Creek. Not many areas to drive up to it except the campground but its dry by then. A little hiking can get you to the creek and I've seen plenty of fish there.
    It's like an LJ... only bigger.

Canyon Creek near Young maybe?

^^^ lower canyon creek has a fish hatchery!
    To the right of the bridge there's trout to be had but hike to the left of the bridge and it's barbless ONLY!
    Great fishin.
    STAY TUNED!

Quote Originally Posted by armygreenjk View Post
    Canyon Creek near Young maybe?
    Quote Originally Posted by azgypsy View Post
    ^^^ lower canyon creek has a fish hatchery!
    To the right of the bridge there's trout to be had but hike to the left of the bridge and it's barbless ONLY!
    Great fishin.
    And lots of people! I went out by kinnkinick lake around the 4th of July and did not see anyone but it is day use only. I do not know how often it is stocked and there was plenty of camping nearby in the woods but I do not know how crowded it gets in that area.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Good location
    Good fishing
    No people

Pick any two. LOL

My favorite spot in AZ. East Fork of the Black River. You'll have to wait until spring though.

Quote Originally Posted by MV3 View Post
    My favorite spot in AZ. East Fork of the Black River. You'll have to wait until spring though.
    I proposed to Megan not too far from there.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

What did she say?
    Oh!
    Never mind .....I think I know.
    STAY TUNED!

Its not BLM, but rather Forest Service. Google search the MVUM (motor vehicle use map) for the National Forest you'd like to visit. Print it off, or open it on your computer. Mark where all the lakes and campgrounds are. These are areas you will want to avoid. Then look at the map key. It should show you the markings for "Dispersed Camping". These are areas where you are allowed to park on the side of the road, and camp where ever you want. Pick a road that looks to be a bit of a distance from the areas you are trying to avoid. The map should also show streams, creeks and rivers, so if that's what you're looking for, then pick a spot near there.

Once you have picked a spot, download PDF Maps on your phone. Open PDF Maps and download the MVUM to it. PDF Maps uses your GPS in your phone and shows you where you are in the MVUM map.

Using this technique, I've camped in a place very similar to what you describe in the Coconino National Forest. Here's the coordinates:
    3432'15.42"N, 111 5'41.28"W

Here it is on the map. Notice the orange highlighting on the road. That is the area that dispersed camping is allowed. I marked it "Campground" but there are no camp sites, just areas to pull the Jeep over and camp.
    Name:  Capture.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  211.3 KB

Here's the full map: http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_...20Travel%20Map

A few pictures from that camping spot: http://imgur.com/a/qaMjX
    I didn't get any pictures of the streams, but they were definitely around there.

Also, keep in mind that with dispersed camping, you have no toilets or showers. Bring a shovel and some toilet paper. A camping stove is also recommended.
    Last edited by bmlbytes; 11-30-2016 at 08:04 PM.
    1995 Jeep Wrangler YJ Rio Grande, 31" tires, 3" lift, 12k lbs winch, front Spartan lockers
    We keep a log of our Jeep adventures on our website: Arizona Adventurers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information