Thread: TJ transfer case problem

TJ transfer case problem

I have a 97 TJ four-cylinder that the transfer case went out on. I also have a 98 4.0 both have the NP231 transfer case and my 98 has been wrecked so a friend from church swaped out the transfer cases for me. But it won't go into gear now. It will shift but doesn't pull in 2wd or 4WD. Does anyone have any idea what could be the problem? I'm new to the site so I hope I'm posting it in the right area. Thanks for any help anyone can offer.

Re: TJ transfer case problem

Welcome to the VJC, sorry to see that your first post is one looking for guidance on a problem. But I think that's how a lot of people find this place, and I'm sure that you'll find some good advice here. I am moving this thread to the "general" section of the forum.

What transmission do you have in each vehicle? Also, when you say you can shift, you mean you can cleanly shift 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc, but no matter what you do with your T-case, you can't get the driveshafts to turn?

Something to consider is that you took an NP231 out of a vehicle with a 4.0 and put it in a vehicle with a 2.5. You either have an AX-5 manual or a TF30RH auto in your '97 2.5 vehicle (I'm guessing you have the manual based on your comments), and an AX-15 manual or TF32RH auto in your '98 4.0 vehicle. The NP231 input shafts from the transmission to the transfer case are not the same between the two vehicles.

The AX-15 transmission is always a 23 spline shaft and extends 1/2" beyond the face of the transmission. The TF autos, I believe, are generally a flush 23 spline shaft. The AX-5 will have a 21 splined shaft and it extends 1/2” past the tail housing adapter.

Anyway, if you took an NP231 out of a rig with a 4.0 and put it into a rig with a 2.5, the input shafts would not just match right up - unless your friend disassembled the donor t-case and replaced the input shaft with the one from your 4 banger rig.

Scott
    Last edited by TreeKiller; 11-17-2016 at 08:28 AM.
    '93 YJ, 4.0, NV4500, Atlas, 35s
    '17 WK2, 5.7, ZF8HP70, NV245, 31s

3. 11-17-2016, 07:03 AM

Reason
    Duplicate post

My first thought would be the same as Scott's as well, the input shaft wouldn't be the same on a 2.5 vs a 4.0.
    http://www.virtualjeepclub.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=10100&dateline=1356046401 $350 generated for the AZOHVC from the sale of these decals so far. ($5/pair is donated)

Scotty would be correct in all his details except the 97-98 TJs ran a 2.4
    And the 2.5 was in the 04 TJs if I'm not wrong but the shaft lengths were correct in the case causing the too much length to manually shift the gears
    Im back to the drawing board
    STAY TUNED!

Quote Originally Posted by azgypsy View Post
    Scotty would be correct in all his details except the 97-98 TJs ran a 2.4
    And the 2.5 was in the 04 TJs if I'm not wrong but the shaft lengths were correct in the case causing the too much length to manually shift the gears
    The 2.5 4 banger was a carryover from the YJ and was replaced by the 2.4 in 2003.

Oooooo
    I'm sorry I think I was backwards Scotty?
    That's what happens when I get old and have owned both a 98 and an 04
    Dam them ole farts.
    Im back to the drawing board
    STAY TUNED!

Quote Originally Posted by azgypsy View Post
    Oooooo
    I'm sorry I think I was backwards Scotty?
    That's what happens when I get old and have owned both a 98 and an 04
    Dam them ole farts.
    I might be catching up with you Dave!

Scott

Wow I'm sure he didn't do that. I will check the transmission to see which one it is and get back with you. I sure appreciate your advice and help.

Treekiller I tried to send you a message on here earlier but it didn't seem to go through The guy that is changing out our transfer cases is trying to change the input shaft that you told me about but he seems to be having a problem. He says he needs a special tool to get the transfer case apart does that sound right and he said that while he has it apart we should go ahead and replace the chain and other parts inside of the transfer case. Does that sound right? and he says there is some kind of ring on or in the input shaft that is keeping it from coming out. I 4sure appreciate all your help and advice thanks again

I've tried posting A message on here earlier but for some reason it's not showing up. I was asking about the problem I'm having with my transfer case. The guy who is changing them out has had a problem trying to change the input shaft which treekiller told me needed to be done for it to operate correctly. The guy told me he needs a special tool for opening up the transfer case in order to change the input shaft and he also told me we should change the internal parts while we have it apart and that there is some type of ring either in or on the input shaft that is apparently causing a problem getting it out. Does all this sound right? I really appreciate anyone's help and advice thanks again

Thread Information