Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New tow rig

Re: New tow rig

A little late on this, but I'll chime in since I've had 2 DPF equipped trucks that were deleted in Maricopa county. If you're deleted, you won't pass without the DPF in place - bottom line. You can leave the EGR in place and disabled to pass the visual there, but a DPF/CAT/SCR on the '11 and up truck is HUGE and pretty easy to spot when it's missing. On my first truck, I would swap it every time I did emissions, but that got old quick. I have family with property outside of Maricopa county, so the 2nd truck was registered at their physical address - much easier to do. The other option is to find a DPF/CAT/SCR assembly from someone who deleted and hollow it out/run a straight pipe right down the middle. You'll need to leave it on a "no power" tune to pass the snap (opacity) test, but it'll pass and the visual will pass as well.

As for the truck, do you know your build date? There are only 2 real "issues" with the Scorpion 6.7 and they really only affect the earlier '11s. 1 is dropping valves and destroying the engine, but this is more common on non-deleted trucks since the issue appears to be related to the heat generated by the regen cycles. The 2nd issue is turbos. The bearings Ford used in their funky turbo setup on 6.7 are prone to failure on the early '11s, but it'll be pretty dang obvious when it starts to go. Nice thing is that it usually is a pretty contained failure (doesn't take anything else with it) and it's always a good excuse to upgrade :-)

Other than that, just drive the crap out of it - they're a solid platform, especially once tuned!
    David
    Jeepless

Quote Originally Posted by NSRacer View Post
    A little late on this, but I'll chime in since I've had 2 DPF equipped trucks that were deleted in Maricopa county. If you're deleted, you won't pass without the DPF in place - bottom line. You can leave the EGR in place and disabled to pass the visual there, but a DPF/CAT/SCR on the '11 and up truck is HUGE and pretty easy to spot when it's missing. On my first truck, I would swap it every time I did emissions, but that got old quick. I have family with property outside of Maricopa county, so the 2nd truck was registered at their physical address - much easier to do. The other option is to find a DPF/CAT/SCR assembly from someone who deleted and hollow it out/run a straight pipe right down the middle. You'll need to leave it on a "no power" tune to pass the snap (opacity) test, but it'll pass and the visual will pass as well.

As for the truck, do you know your build date? There are only 2 real "issues" with the Scorpion 6.7 and they really only affect the earlier '11s. 1 is dropping valves and destroying the engine, but this is more common on non-deleted trucks since the issue appears to be related to the heat generated by the regen cycles. The 2nd issue is turbos. The bearings Ford used in their funky turbo setup on 6.7 are prone to failure on the early '11s, but it'll be pretty dang obvious when it starts to go. Nice thing is that it usually is a pretty contained failure (doesn't take anything else with it) and it's always a good excuse to upgrade :-)

Other than that, just drive the crap out of it - they're a solid platform, especially once tuned!
    Great info, thanks! I have all the stock parts and can swap if needed. Im going to try registering it up north today. Wish me luck! I need to look into the build date. The good news is that I have full Ford warranty at this point so Im covered for a little while. I debated extending the warranty, but Ford wants $3500 for 4 years/48k. That seems a bit steep for me.

I pulled my Jeep to Parker of the weekend and it was great. Night and day difference from pulling with the F150.

Wow. Looks like mine (well what I want mine to look like)

No issues getting it registered. If you want details please PM me

Quote Originally Posted by Estrada View Post
    No issues getting it registered. If you want details please PM me
    Good to hear!
    Good judgement comes from experience. Experience more often than not comes from bad judgement.

Nice truck !!
    07 JK Rubicon, 3.5 lift, 35's

Dont know much about the 6.7 but hopefully its near a bulletproof as a 7.3. Does that have the dual turbos? Variable stator? I heard that was $$ if it goes tits up
    Long arm/37"/beedlocks/Mas grande arb Dana 44 rear/grande 44 front/ superjoints/WJ knuckle conversion/harness/cage/seats/winch/5.13/armor/skids/
    Parts/hydro/5-1/takes a beating that's for sure but still needs more crap

6.7 is not as reliable as the 7.3 but is light years ahead of the 6.0 and 6.4.

That said it produces TONS of power. Way more than the 7.3 . Hauled this to St George, Utah a few weeks ago. Pulled it VERY comfortably especially considering Im a total Newb at towing.

What are the specs on the motor?
    Long arm/37"/beedlocks/Mas grande arb Dana 44 rear/grande 44 front/ superjoints/WJ knuckle conversion/harness/cage/seats/winch/5.13/armor/skids/

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford..._Stroke_engine

440 hp 860 tq without modding. Tuner and deletes add power too. It also has a 6 speed transmission which is way better than the one in the old 7.3s

Ok thats the new one. Didn't know they were around that long

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information