Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New tow rig

Re: New tow rig

Dude, sweet brodozer.
    K7ARB

Quote Originally Posted by Chili View Post
    Dude, sweet brodozer.
    LOL! After driving it yesterday (and smoking Adam's rear tires for him -- you're welcome), I think it just needs to lose the Monster center caps and then it will be less brodozery.
    '93 YJ, 4.0, NV4500, Atlas, 35s
    '17 WK2, 5.7, ZF8HP70, NV245, 31s

Quote Originally Posted by TreeKiller View Post
    LOL! After driving it yesterday (and smoking Adam's rear tires for him -- you're welcome), I think it just needs to lose the Monster center caps and then it will be less brodozery.
    First person to buy him a collection of flat-billed caps wins the internet.
    K7ARB

Quote Originally Posted by BEETROOT View Post
    Excellent purchase. You are going to love it. Ridiculous amount of power in those 6.7 motors and great ride too.

They are very lenient on diesel emissions in AZ. My 7.3 Superduty passed last week. I have 4" straight pipe exhaust no cats no mufflers, and left my programmer tuned to "Extreme".

They do a sniff test. They will tell you to floor it during the test. Do not floor it. Just go to 2500.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Matt, what do you mean they will tell you to floor it? My YJ gets the sniff every 2 years, and they make me sit in the little penalty box while they get in the rig and floor it on the rollers. I don't have a say in the matter. What's different about the diesel that they would let you do it yourself?

Scott
    '93 YJ, 4.0, NV4500, Atlas, 35s
    '17 WK2, 5.7, ZF8HP70, NV245, 31s

Matt, what do you mean they will tell you to floor it? My YJ gets the sniff every 2 years, and they make me sit in the little penalty box while they get in the rig and floor it on the rollers. I don't have a say in the matter. What's different about the diesel that they would let you do it yourself?

Scott
    It different for diesels. Ive read what he said on the Web too. He gave me the location he used which seems to be diesel friend.

The only thing bro in it is the wheels. I said 100% agree with that and I dont love the wheels. That said they do look better than stock ones so Ill run them. Replacing them isnt cheap, especially when you figure they threw in a matching spare wheel and tire. Id rather spend $2500 on other stuff.

They do a smoke test on the diesels. They will ask you to floor it first to verify it has a governor. Then it's a series of "mat it" tests. 3 I think. They don't use the same sniffer they use on cars and they do not put it on the dyno. They let me stay in the driver seat.

They do a visual under the hood though. If they see the EGR delete they will not test/pass it. I've been told there is a delete plate that looks like the egr is still there. But I have no info on that.

Congrats on the new TR!
    Last edited by OTR-93YJ; 11-07-2016 at 12:59 PM.

don't 3/4 ton and up go on the rollers?
    Barry
    Wheel it while ya can
    and sway bars are overrated. IMO

Yep.

Any thoughts as to how reliable these are? It's still covered under ford extended warranty until 12/31. I have the ability to extend the warranty, just waiting on the ford rep to get back to me with costs.

Same here... last week..1 ton 2007 with "banks" programmer.

just sniff test look under hood, 3 times "floor it" ...They let me stay in the driver seat.

(They do a sniff test. They will tell you to floor it during the test. Do not floor it. Just go to 2500.)
    Last edited by shortestbus; 11-07-2016 at 08:14 PM.

Scott
    For whatever reason, they have you stay in the truck and man the throttle on diesels.

Quote Originally Posted by Estrada View Post
    Any thoughts as to how reliable these are? It's still covered under ford extended warranty until 12/31. I have the ability to extend the warranty, just waiting on the ford rep to get back to me with costs.
    Purely anecdotal, but:

We have two 6.7 Superduty chase trucks. One is a 2012 with 90k on it, one is a 2015 with 10k on it. The older one has been used hard. Heavy towing, offroad, just generally had the snot beat out of it. Neither truck has had a single issue other than the Ford Sync stereo stopped working on the 2012.

I have multiple friends and family members with them too, and have never heard of anyone with any issues. The Superduty forums might give you a better big picture idea of how reliable they are (or aren't) but in my personal experience Ford got it right with these trucks.

Thanks for your thoughts. From what I've read they are pretty reliable but when there's an issue it gets expensive fast. Especially with the cramped engine bay and need to go body off for many repairs. My only concern with the extended warranty is them saying the mods or tune caused the issue. I'll see what the service advisor has to say

Quote Originally Posted by metalman View Post
    don't 3/4 ton and up go on the rollers?
    my 05 350 has never been on the rollers. Smoke test only.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by OTR-93YJ View Post
    my 05 350 has never been on the rollers. Smoke test only.
    My 2000 F250 always goes on the rollers
    79 cj7, rebuilt 304, YJ family "cage" , wide track axles, Moser 1 pc. rear, lockrites F/R, TF999/D300 with custom floor shifter, twin sticked, 33x12.5x15 Falken Wild Peaks

New tow rig

Diesels do an opacity test . It's completely different than gas vehicles. You pull up hit the rev limiter. Then they start the test. 3 times of mashing the pedal to the floor . And the guy stands behind the truck with a mask and a sensor on a stick.
    Plus the equipment check.

You should see the look on people faces when I bring straight piped big cam or Kta Cummins trucks thru there lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by redneck20; 11-08-2016 at 12:54 PM.
    MPGs? Real trucks go by GPM...

Quote Originally Posted by aheath4 View Post
    My 2000 F250 always goes on the rollers
    My F250 gasser had to go on the rollers, the diesel hasn't yet.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information