Thread: Found turtlle

Found turtlle

Just found a little turtle in the back yard. By chance anyone know what kind this is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    87 YJ, 4" spring under,35 mud, Dana 44 front eaton E-Locker, Ford 9" detroit locker, Flip dana 300, Fuel injected, Stroker motor, OBA, full roll cage

Re: Found turtlle

sorta looks like a sucata,ie spelling. I've seen them in az. as big as a barrel, saw one down by florence years ago, in the wild, not a desert tortoise thats natural to az, think they
    re from africa or something like that.

Blog Entries

It looks a lot like my desert tortoise which will grow to between 10 and 15lbs max, and not like a sulcata which will be over 100 lbs in 10 years.

picture of my desert tortoise shortly after we got her:

more recent video of my tortoise
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCQhPBljBE8

The sound is way off in this, not sure why, it didn't used to be...

anyways, here is a picture of a sulcata:
    Name:  8caf9e518435fc4a36431f59c1f71b5b.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  69.2 KB

Edit: sulcata's also have much spikier forelegs which makes them easier to identify, which it does not look like the one you have has very spiky fore legs.

I'm betting it belongs to one of the neighbors!
    Im back to the drawing board
    STAY TUNED!

Quote Originally Posted by azgypsy View Post
    I'm betting it belongs to one of the neighbors!
    Not anymore!

Scott
    '93 YJ, 4.0, NV4500, Atlas, 35s
    '17 WK2, 5.7, ZF8HP70, NV245, 31s

The legs don't have any spikes on them that I can, they look smooth. Not sure how it would have gotten in our back yard, since we have a brick fence. I guess he could have came in where the gate is. But this has to be one lucky tortoise, since we have about 10 cats that love to hang out around the front of the house.
    87 YJ, 4" spring under,35 mud, Dana 44 front eaton E-Locker, Ford 9" detroit locker, Flip dana 300, Fuel injected, Stroker motor, OBA, full roll cage

Blog Entries

You would be amazed at how small of a hole they can get through, they are also amazing climbers. if you watched my video, that's exactly why I built the box I put my tortoise in.

What are you going to do with it?

Blog Entries

You would be amazed at how small of a hole they can get through, they are also amazing climbers. if you watched my video, that's exactly why I built the box I put my tortoise in.

What are you going to do with it?

I sent out an email to the neighbors to see if any one lost it. The wife wants to keep it. So if no one claims it then I guess I will be building a area for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Found out where it came from. The guy the next street over has them. So this made it a few hundred yards to get in our backyard. He offered it to us and the wife wants it so it looks like we have a new addition to the family. He says it's a Sonoran desert tortoise.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dzrtrataz View Post
    Found out where it came from. The guy the next street over has them. So this made it a few hundred yards to get in our backyard. He offered it to us and the wife wants it so it looks like we have a new addition to the family. He says it's a Sonoran desert tortoise.
    Perfect! it will get to 10-15lbs, which is a perfect size. We've had our tortoise for about 3 years now, and love it. We cannot have a lot of fluffy animals due to allergies, but tortoises have fun personalities, and make great pets. they are escape artists, go to youtube and there are some pretty good videos about how to take care of them. ours has eaten mainly a diet of grass (Bermuda) and collard greens, along with other veggies/greens. Avoid giving it fruit! being a desert tortoise they don't eat much of it, and their tummies are not equipped for it, and it will give them diarrhea, and they will dehydrate and die. Collard greens, mustard greens, spinach, and most of the plants you have growing in your backyard are perfect for it. avoid giving too much kale, it gives them thyroid issues, and iceburg lettuce has as little nutritional value for them as it does for us.

Enjoy! let me know if you have any questions, I'm no expert, but I've done a ton of research, and happy to answer any questions, or at least point you in the right direction, and if your neighbor has any more he's willing to part with. Let me know, we would love to have another one.

Thread Information