Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Willys MB - "motor pool" project

Thumbs up Willys MB - "motor pool" project

Fixer-upper Thread !!

Titled as a 1945 Willys MB, but I suspect its closer to 1943 based on the frame tag and motor serial#. The glove box data plates are off of it, but are still around.

I knew about the Jeep for the last 7 years or so and I had admired it but never gave it much more thought than that, until I went over to look at a log splitter that was for sale at a bargain price. While getting ready to look at the log splitter, I was casually asked if I wanted to buy a Jeep ? Hadnt really been looking for one, but said Id look it over.

We looked at the log splitter and it was really nice but more than I needed, so then we got to talking about the Jeep. Wheeled it out of the garage so I could climb under it and see the undercarriage in the daylight. Didnt entirely know what all I was looking at specifically, at the time, but I know what to look for in old cars as far as what might be a real PITA to work on or fix up and what signs might indicate major problems or something that isnt right. Was really surprised to not see damage or any significant rust. Had legitimate wear / patina and seemed to be reasonably complete. Talked about the local history of it and then started talking about all the spare parts he had, as all the parts and supplies were included with the sale of the Jeep. There was a lot of parts.

Spent over an hour looking at it even though I didnt know much about Willys and wasnt looking to buy one , but did realize it might be an opportunity. After all that looking and talking, I brushed upon the subject of what kind of price might he be asking. We talked about it and how the parts were all originals and that there would be a discount if the Jeep stayed local. I didnt think the asking price was out of line at the time so I said Id give it some thought and get back with him later as I *might* be interested.

Came home and started googling, and the more I looked into it the more interested I became in this Jeep. Continued with the research and the more I looked and learned , I decided it was something I might have fun with, as well as being easy to maintain. Went back the next weekend and looked it over again, this time knowing a little more about what to look for, and then we took it for a test drive. The test drive was sure an experience as the brakes and steering are 70 year old tech. Jeep drove fine and transmission shifted smooth and held in gear with clutch acting like should. The motor was rebuilt a couple years ago and it has been converted to 12volt a while back. Some of the engine compartment parts are missing, some are in the parts pile. It could use some freshening up no doubt, it has fluid leaks, but its totally drive-able around the neighborhood roads as it sits. Reviewed the mountain of spare parts that were all included in the deal, this time knowing a little more about what they all were.

Ended up buying it.

It runs and drives already so there's no need to jump into anything right away. It wont be for few months until I can really do much with it as Im pretty tied up with a million other things. I have no use for a garage queen and this old Jeep has been running around the mountain for last 45 years or so with the previous owner also having bought it from a long time local, who got it sometime in the 60's or 70's.

Im not going to do a frame-off or anything because there isnt a paved road for 30 miles and its just going to get all dirty again. It does need some attention so Im going to fix it up "motor pool" style with refurbished seats and canvas, a paint job, and then clean up the wiring and fix the functional things. Refurbished but not restored, while respecting its originality . Itll be more fun driving it around that way. Later on if I decide I want to restore it itll make a great foundation for doing that.

This is from the Memorial Day Parade a few years ago, not sure any of these guys want or would have wanted their pics here so I edited it a little.

Ill update this thread as things move along.
    '14 Toyota FJ Cruiser, Off Road Edition
    '43 Willys MB
    LOWTECH 3-10-2007

Willys MB - "motor pool" project

What a fun project, Congrats! Thanks for sharing and keep us posted on progress. Heck, just post more pics as is! 😎 That is some sweet old iron!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Willys MB - "motor pool" project

That's just too cool!
    Get Down With the Sickness!

Cool old Willys. I've got a couple of old willys trucks but in way worse condition.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    90 YJ, 93 4.0l, AX-15, 3.55 D35/30 with ARB F/R, Atlas 4.3:1, Warn Full Float kit rear, on 33's, M.O.R.E motor mounts, 1" BL, Warn 9k.

SWEETNESS for sure... Congrats...
    Working for a living is highly over-rated...

Thank you guys, I think it's going to be a lot fun driving around. Hard to believe it's over 70 years old.

Even though I can't really get to things till this Fall, in checking around for parts, I found a site that was fair priced and having sale items I needed with free shipping and I took the first plunge.

Mostly small parts that i knew i didn't have or were cheap enough it didn't matter, but also a front bumper assembly as the current one is bent and was for a cj2a, and then a hot ignition coil with high internal resistance so I can ditch that ugly white resistor and the wiring going to it.

I don't plan buying much else until I get around to doing a full inventory of the parts-pile that came the jeep.
    Last edited by Robb; 08-18-2016 at 07:36 PM.
    '43 Willys MB
    LOWTECH 3-10-2007

Solid rig! Rare find for sure!

Scott
    4.0, NV4500, Atlas II, TAD Shafts, 30 spline D30/Trussed & Gusseted, Budget PSC Hydro-Assist/LetzRoll 7075 steering, Currie 9, 4.56s, ARBs, M.O.R.E Shock Towers, 6.125" SUA lift, 35" MTRK, Kilby/York OBA, Warn, Caged, Raven Armor, Fenom Fab Sliders, Geniuine China Bro Bars, Zip Ties, Duct Tape

Been super busy working on other stuff and havent been able to touch the Willys yet.

Phase 2 is almost complete though. Had to get a place to put the Jeep and all the spare parts and that required a lot of paperwork first. A few storage racks in the back and itll be ready for action.

'43 Willys MB
    LOWTECH 3-10-2007

lol I bet that shamrock guy loved hauling that up there

MPGs? Real trucks go by GPM...

SHE ! It was her first time up there.

She was a pro and really cool too, totally took the time to get it back in there where I wanted it between the boulders and trees.
    We ended up fine-tuning the exact placement with a neighbors backhoe the following day, but only nudged it over a little bit. In getting it delivered some companies use a truck and trailer which would have been more challenging to get that box back into that spot, so it was really perfect that they had it brought up on a tow truck like that. Saved me a lot of hassle in possibly having to move it around myself.

She had a way better attitude than the Lowes delivery guy that brought stuff up for me one time (2013 or so ?) in a 24' truck with forklift hanging on the back, and he only had to drop stuff off by the General Store. That guy insisted that he had been sent up the wrong road, and that there had to be a better road to get back to the highway and that he wasnt taking that road back. Sorry dude, that IS the good road. Havent been able to get Lowes or HD to bring stuff up since.
    Last edited by Robb; 01-06-2017 at 04:00 PM.
    '43 Willys MB
    LOWTECH 3-10-2007

Ah I know who that is she's pretty cool.

MPGs? Real trucks go by GPM...

Weather/roads finally permitted bringing it home.

Drove the Jeep home, it started right up using a little starting fluid, after sitting all Winter.

Hauled 2 trailer loads of parts and got them into the container (some delicate stuff rode in the back of FJ, that stuff not pictured)
    Didnt have a chance to go through it and inventory anything, thatll have to get done later. For reference thats a 14' by 5' trailer.

Got the Jeep into the container , fit just right.

And to top it off, I ended up bringing the log splitter home, that started this all. Friend and I went in together on it for co-ownership that works out in both our favors.

Lots of stuff to work on ahead.
    Last edited by Robb; 03-13-2017 at 10:34 AM.
    '43 Willys MB
    LOWTECH 3-10-2007

Been digging through the parts and finding stuff to put back on it, making some progress.

Getting some of the accessory parts back in place and freshening up a little, but not too much freshening, if that makes sense. I havent done any bodywork on it yet other than the windshield frame. Still some dust on it and stuff, just trying to get it reassembled and all the parts back on it at this point, not restoring it yet. Its still rough.

Got the top bows all cleaned up with a wire wheel, and found all the top bow brackets along with a few missing small parts purchased I also put on the right muffler system from the exhaust manifold all the way back.

Fixed the original windshield frame, looks like maybe someone hit a tree branch at some point. Both sides of the outer frame were damaged long ago. I knew the driver side was patched so I ground off the outside steel and welds until I got to the original tube. To my surprise it was sleeved inside, they just didnt use the right diameter and the sleeve wasnt "fixed" in place. I got some tube and some solid stock and double sleeved it and plug-welded in 4 places to anchor it in. Then I did a little body work to clean the welds and grinds up along with some paint .

BEFORE

DURING

Cleaned up the seat frames and got the new canvas on. Seats, hip pads and straps and hardware. I recycled the old bottom cushions into the new seat bottom cushions to fluff them up nice and comfy.

Also dug out the fender blackout light, picked up a pintle hook and then I started getting fresh knobs for the light switches on the dash as well as fresh throttle and choke cables.

Next steps:

I kept hearing a squeak that was just "too much" to ignore, from the back. I had tightened and isolated quite a few things so I was surprised it was still giving me one. I got under the back and shook the jeep body and I could see where a couple welds were broken on the back bumper near the frame, so Ill have to weld that up soon too.

Still lots and lots of work to do but its starting to look like a WW2 jeep again !
    Last edited by Robb; 05-14-2017 at 07:46 PM.
    '43 Willys MB
    LOWTECH 3-10-2007

thats a cool rig. I love all the character that those old ones have. Fix it, but dont go overboard with the restore where you dont ever want to take it offroad.

Oh yeah for sure..... I want it to "look the part", but its for driving.

When I go to sell it someday itll be a great candidate for someone else to fully restore if they want. Besides fixing leaks and wiring , Ill still smooth out a few bumps and fill in a few holes as weekend projects kinda stuff, but nothing near frame-off or anything. Definitely bought this with the intent to drive it around CK, and not have it just sit in a garage. Doubt I would even own it if I had to keep it here in the valley, honestly.
    '43 Willys MB
    LOWTECH 3-10-2007

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information