Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Steering Issue - 74 CJ5

Re: Steering Issue - 74 CJ5

The caster shims were actually used to increase the caster, by pointing the pinion down a few degrees. Roger on the tire pressure and and steering box! Thanks for the tips.
    Bob

I did the spring hanging exercise yesterday, but did not take the tires off, so am in the process of doing that again - having a devil of a time getting the shocks off as I figure that will help get the springs straight - having the tires off will make it easier to straighten the springs too!
    Thanks, Bob

OK - one quick question, in the process of changing the axles and bearings, is there anything that I could have done wrong between the hubs (including in the hubs) that would cause the "wandering" problem?
    Thanks,
    Bob

Bearings seated properly? Wheel mate surface clean? What suspension?
    Quote Originally Posted by amber.hodge View Post
    Steve is so innocent. Its really cute, actually. Ah to be a kid again....
    "anyone who says they know everything about anything is either a fool or a liar"

New bearings and seats (I think I did it right), Not sure what you mean by "Wheel mate surface", but I think I thoroughly cleaned everything in the hub assembly, and I am running ProComp springs and some aftermarket shackles with a 1" body lift. About 4" total lift.

Hackles are new add?
    "anyone who says they know everything about anything is either a fool or a liar"

Shackles
    Assuming longer

Yes, longer than stock - but total lift is about 4". They are the same shackles that I was using before breaking the U joint and replacing the axles and bearing, back when it drove pretty good! :|

Assume you have lifted wheels, tested for play,( bearings not too loose), tested spin free (not too tight)

Yes, spin free, no play - which brings up another question: You know the "locking" washer inside the hub that locks the outside bearing nut in place? What is a good way to bend that up - I was using a large blade screw driver but I am afraid I will bread the hub housing, how do you secure that locking washer?

Blog Entries

Just pry on it with a flat edge screw driver. The washer is thinner and weaker than the hub housing. Shouldn't be a problem.
    79 cj7, rebuilt 304, YJ family "cage" , wide track axles, Moser 1 pc. rear, lockrites F/R, TF999/D300 with custom floor shifter, twin sticked, 33x12.5x15 Falken Wild Peaks

OK, thanks

With the vehicle on the ground and not running, have someone turn the steering wheel back and forth while you look at the steering components. There should no play in any of them. Look at the pitman arm on the sector shaft of the steering gear box. Have the person working the wheel do long strokes, then short strokes. There should be no play at that pitman arm. You'll probably see the arm rotating and/or twisting at that point. I'm assuming you have a dropped pitman arm.

A quick update: We think we have isolated the wandering problem either to a bad ball joint or a tight U joint, so I am in the process of pulling the axles again and will replace all the ball joints and all the tie rod ends. But, my wrenching time is a little limited so this might take a few days - also will need to find some of the parts. I have the new ball joints and the tie rod end for the pitman arm.......hopefully I can find the other two tie rod ends here locally or it will mean another trip to Reno at best! (the joys of living in a small town! )

Again, thanks to all for your comments and suggestions. I think if this fails I will up the insurance and then drive it back to Phoenix and park it in south Phoenix with the keys in it! (just kidding and no disrespect to any part of Phoenix - love you guys! )

NV Bob

Update: OK, I have finished this project - new wheel bearings, new seals, new ball joints, new tie rod ends, new spindle bearings and seals, and increased the caster shim to 6 degrees from 4 degrees. Got the toe-in set this morning. It steers much better but feels a little tight. My sources tell me that the new ball joints take a little breaking in and it should be good to go after that. At least now the wondering is minimal (probably like most old CJ's) and not near as violent or dangerous.
    Thanks to all of you who offered your suggestions and comments. Hopefully I will be able to repay the favor!
    Time to go fishing............
    NV Bob

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information