Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Steering Issue - 74 CJ5

Steering Issue - 74 CJ5

I recently broke a U Joint on the driver's side axle, Dana 30 with LockRite locker, 373's and everything else pretty much stock. So I ended up replacing the front axles with G-2's and in the process found the front wheel bearings to be toast and replaced those too. I finally got it back together and took it for a spin and it wondered, severely, from side to side. It drove straight and true until I replaced everything! I took it in and had an alignment done, the tow-in had to be corrected but everything else was good. The wondering persisted so a friend said to check the caster - it already had shims that are about 1/4" thick at the thickest part. I took it all apart and moved the shims back so they are straight with the perches and the caster is slightly toward the rear. The wheels feel tight and I think all the bearings and such are snug and done right. I adjusted the steering box (power steering) and all that did was make the steering tighter but did not stop the wondering from side to side.

I am at a loss! Anyone have any idea what might cause the wondering? Any thoughts, suggestions or ideas would be appreciated! Thanks in advance, Bob

Re: Steering Issue - 74 CJ5

Did the front tires get switched around by accident kinda sounds like radial ware

Sent from my iPhone

Nope, did one side at a time and placed the wheels under the frame on the appropriate side. The tires are MTR 33X12.50X15 with only 4K miles on them.
    Last edited by RLPII; 07-01-2016 at 07:05 PM. Reason: wrong mileage on the tires.

What tire pressure are you running? ? ?
    If to high you will be all over the road.
    You have tightened everything up so it will drive different.
    2013, JKUR, DOZER (MAC & CHEEZE), MANY UPGRADES, 35's, 31/2 Lift,

I was at 21 lbs. when I started, raised that to 24 lbs. which is what I normally run on the highway. I kind of expected a change in the handling, a positive change but this is down right dangerous. My thought process leads me to it has to be something that I did while replacing the axles or bearings......but that is as far as it goes. As it wonders back and forth down the road, it feels like something is lose somewhere but all the ball joints feel tight? Clueless?

I was at 21 lbs. when I started, raised that to 24 lbs. which is what I normally run on the highway. I kind of expected a change in the handling, a positive change but this is down right dangerous. My thought process leads me to it has to be something that I did while replacing the axles or bearings......but that is as far as it goes. As it wonders back and forth down the road, it feels like something is lose somewhere but all the ball joints feel tight? Clueless?

I think that you are low on the air pressure. Just for grins, bring your air pressure up to 29/30 lbs.
    Thatís where I used to run mine. You can always lower it..
    2013, JKUR, DOZER (MAC & CHEEZE), MANY UPGRADES, 35's, 31/2 Lift,

I guess it wouldn't hurt? Before I changed out the axle and bearings, ran at 24 with no issues, so it never crossed my mind to go that high. Heading out for the night, but I will give it a try as soon as I can. Thanks Rhino!

IF you have TRULY changed nothing else, it sounds almost as if you may have worn/loose spring shackle bushings, or possibly worn/loose axle ball joints.

I'd bet even money that an increase to the tire pressure will have zero effect...
    Working for a living is highly over-rated...

Got brand new shackle bushings and bolts (greaseable) - when you say axle ball joints, are you talking about the ones on the knuckles?

lift the front off the ground, have someone turn the wheel left and righ while you watch the steering parts, see if anything moving that shouldn't be.

Also, don't waste your money on an alignment shop, easy DIY IME!
    Get Down With the Sickness!

have the tires balanced. I have this issue from time to time. tires go out of balance when wheeling. air up to 25psi it wanders. at 15psi just fine. air down to 15 and drive it.
    Barry
    Wheel it while ya can
    and sway bars are overrated. IMO

Well, I lowered the air pressure to 15 in just the front tires and drove it, felt better but still wandered but not as severely. So, then I lowered the air pressure in the rear tires too and that made it worse. I know the linkage going into the steering box is a little sloppy, but it was that way before I did the work on axles and bearings - but, going to jack it up now and test the other components again.......

Thanks to everyone that has contributed and of course if anything else comes to mind, please feel free to let me know!
    Bob

Raising air pressure will make tires harder / more prone to follow / react to road irregulariti?es. While Lowering pressure reduces "bounce" ( think of putting pressure in basketball / vollyball), it exponentially increases heat / internal wear ( bend wire back and forth, it heats/up, fatigues and breaks). Excess heat from low pressure also will cause tread separation ( internal).

It is very easy to over tighten steering box... like ring / pinion, backlash is required.

"Caster shims"? Never put shims on front springs ( in attempt to point pinion up)- it destroys caster leverge, will trigger all kinds of bad things, death wobble.
    Quote Originally Posted by amber.hodge View Post
    Steve is so innocent. Its really cute, actually. Ah to be a kid again....
    "anyone who says they know everything about anything is either a fool or a liar"

"Straightening" springs / sjackles- lift vehicle , support on stands to frame so axle hangs free remove tires)
    Loosten u bolts
    Use bfh to mske springs hang straight
    Re- tghten ubolts ( nylock nuts / lock tight), do not over tighten

Shackle inversion ( putting to rear of springs) does wonders for driveability...
    Quote Originally Posted by amber.hodge View Post
    Steve is so innocent. Its really cute, actually. Ah to be a kid again....
    "anyone who says they know everything about anything is either a fool or a liar"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information