Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Camping with flowing water during the AZ Summer?

Camping with flowing water during the AZ Summer?

My wife has sprung a request to go camping for the long weekend but put some very difficult qualifiers on it, for which I have no ideas. It's far too late to reserve a spot at a campground anywhere in AZ that's even remotely desirable right now, and it's unlikely I'll be able to leave the office early enough on Friday to find a first come first serve campground spot either.

I'll (maybe) take the YJ but my wife and step daughter will probably drive wherever we go in her BMW, so that leaves us with dispersed camping that's 2wd car accessible.

1) Has to be near a river or creek that's active right now
    2) Has to be at an elevation sufficient to not be rahtardedly hot
    3) Would be great if it's walking distance from vault toilets but I'll buy a privacy tent and a toilet-on-a-bucket thing for the girls if I have to.

I have only camped in an actual campground twice that I can recall in the last 12 years, otherwise I've always camped dispersed, and don't recall anywhere I've camped adjacent to flowing water during the summer (lost the Garmin, with all that stuff saved in it, in a tragic boating accident).

Anyway, thought I'd post up here to see if anybody had any spots that meet the above conditions that they would be willing to recommend.

Gracias.....

Scott
    Last edited by TreeKiller; 06-27-2016 at 02:40 PM.
    '93 YJ, 4.0, NV4500, Atlas, 35s
    '17 WK2, 5.7, ZF8HP70, NV245, 31s

Re: Camping with flowing water during the AZ Summer?

Camping and holidays are a no go IMO. I hate hanging with the masses. No fires this time of year and a big dust storm from all the traffic.
    Barry
    Wheel it while ya can
    and sway bars are overrated. IMO

Quote Originally Posted by metalman View Post
    Camping and holidays are a no go IMO. I hate hanging with the masses. No fires this time of year and a big dust storm from all the traffic.
    Yeah Barry, I totally agree. I normally avoid going anywhere on a holiday like this. She didn't like my idea for camping and wheeling with friends this weekend, and just wants us to do something alone, so I wanted to try to find a way to make that happen since it's not often that she wants to go camping at all. Propane firepit is legal though as far as I know, which the girls would probably prefer to a smoky wood fire anyway.

Good luck with that. Kim's gonna have to upgrade to an X5 so she can get far enough off the road to find water and solitude.

That said, the host at Manzanita holds out sites for first-come first-served drive ups, and I've lucked out there before. Send somebody up early.

http://www.recreation.gov/campsiteSearch.do
    Good judgement comes from experience. Experience more often than not comes from bad judgement.

Pitch a tent in the backyard and turn the hose on. Maybe run some flex duct from the house for ac.
    Barry
    Wheel it while ya can
    and sway bars are overrated. IMO

How much flowing water are you looking for?

I post that in jest, but I have to agree with Barry on not camping out on the holidays. Every possible spot will be filled with at least two families.

You can disperse camp at the roping arena at Mormon lake but there's no water. Lots of scenic trails, and I think this weekend is one of the largest ropings in the state. If you're into that. Anyway, there's bathrooms and showers to use, a steak house and saloon.

I wish I had your problem, I have to work.

This is not well known, and I've had luck there. Probably too hot though.
    34.760932, -111.889395

And flowing springs:
    34.302947, -111.349901

Flowing springs is close to payson so there will probably be a lot people there this weekend.
    Last edited by OTR-93YJ; 06-27-2016 at 03:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cactus Ed View Post
    Good luck with that. Kim's gonna have to upgrade to an X5 so she can get far enough off the road to find water and solitude.

That said, the host at Manzanita holds out sites for first-come first-served drive ups, and I've lucked out there before. Send somebody up early.

http://www.recreation.gov/campsiteSearch.do
    Thanks Mike, I think you mean "You're gonna have to buy Kimberly an X5....." LOL. That would make Kimberly very happy, that would not make Scott's bank account very happy.

Thanks for the tip on Manzanita. They could get up there by noon probably, and I would have to follow in the rig early evening most likely. Will research that one a bit amigo!

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by metalman View Post
    Pitch a tent in the backyard and turn the hose on. Maybe run some flex duct from the house for ac.
    LOL! I do have a swamp cooler designed to cool a whole house sitting on my back patio, could just push that up to a window in the tent I suppose LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by OTR-93YJ View Post
    How much flowing water are you looking for?

I post that in jest, but I have to agree with Barry on not camping out on the holidays. Every possible spot will be filled with at least two families.

You can disperse camp at the roping arena at Mormon lake but there's no water. Lots of scenic trails, and I think this weekend is one of the largest ropings in the state. If you're into that. Anyway, there's bathrooms and showers to use, a steak house and saloon.

I wish I had your problem, I have to work.

This is not well known, and I've had luck there. Probably too hot though.
    34.760932, -111.889395

Oh brother, this just might be right up her alley. She does like the Jesus Juice and this spot seems to be sandwiched right between three producers of it! Praise!

Quote Originally Posted by OTR-93YJ View Post
    And flowing springs:
    34.302947, -111.349901

Flowing springs is close to payson so there will probably be a lot people there this weekend.
    This might be a possibility! This looks dispersed and car accessible and there's agua!

Many thanks brother Martin!

Scott

Not much water up north anywhere. Long lake is dry, knoll lake and blue Ridge are only half full. Good luck finding running water and cool weather.

I forgot to add that the verde above payson is running but it will be 100 degrees and crowded.

There's a few nice spots on Oak Creek between Sedona and Cottonwood but they fill up fast. It's at the end of Angel Valley Rd.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

I hope the hilljacks don't see me telling you this, but.... If you turn left onto *******jack road it'll take you down to the east verde in a lesser known area. Not to say there won't be people there, but probably not as many. And I don't remember what the roads are like. We went down to Doll Baby road that way. It was a good ride. I took a two wheeled ride with those guys through that area and have planned to go camp it since but haven't made it back up there. Plus, I'm an RV type camper now: Hookups, showers, direct TV, etc. LOL.
    Last edited by OTR-93YJ; 06-27-2016 at 05:15 PM. Reason: I guess you can't say C.R.A.C.K.E.R. jack road.

You could get a room in Page and swim in Lake Powell.

Haggler creek is a beautiful spot with lots of dispersed campin!
    I'd even have ya come get my portapotty and tarp just to make momma happy!
    Im back to the drawing board
    STAY TUNED!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information