Thread: When wheeling do you........................

When wheeling do you........................

..................bring your dogs? We have three dogs, our children, we like to carry with us everywhere. I purchased a used SB utility box and adding a plywood top with carpet as a nice sitting area for the dogs. Plan on extending the plywood edge to edge, front to back, with my rear JKU seats down. New to the Jeep community, I am not sure how often we would stop while running a trail allowing the dogs to do their biz? I am adding insulation trying to preserve as much cool air as possible in the rear cabin. Also plan on adding a circulating fan for additional cooling. Appreciate any thoughts.

BTW - Our dogs are 2 x Staffordshire Bull Terriers and 1 x Yorky. All are extremely friendly and well behaved.

Re: When wheeling do you........................

We do they love it

I bring my 2 yorkies with me on many runs. Do you currently bring your dogs for rides on-road in the jeep?

I love having my boys with me when I'm out on the trail but I only bring them on trails I'm familiar with or those on the easier side. The only advice I can give is please look into a way to to secure them to the top you're fabbing for the cargo area. I have a booster seat that is secured with a seat belt and has a clip that attaches to their harnesses.

There are several folks that bring their pups with them. Most runs have plenty of stopping times for potty breaks for both humans and dogs.

I too take my two fur babies on runs depending on the trail difficulty. Mine are medium dogs, Assie/collie mix and Lab/cattle dog mix. I used to, in my TJ, have them tethered to the center of the roll bar above the seats. Giving them enough length on the tether to reach their noses to the edge of the jeep and ability to lay down on the floor or seat, if it was in. I also made my own puppy boards, as I called them, that I attached to the roll bars across the side of the jeep. This was to help support their body weight in the event I slipped off an obstacle or jerked sideways.

I have not fabricated anything for the JK yet. For now I only take them if the top is on and they have free roaming in the jeep. I was going to make something but with the move I don't see me being topless much with the amount of rainfall they have in Texas.

Last edited by TRLNGRL; 06-26-2016 at 12:44 PM.
    ***SHAR***
    Silly Boys Jeeps Are For Girls!!!
    Riding High in Raven - 2010 JK

Mine love getting out.

Jeff

Drink More Water

not for the kind of wheeling and trails I do. no way.

We bring our labs on just about every run.

I would if I had the right dog. I have a corgi sheppard mix and he has no clue how to behave in the desert. His belly is so low he drags through the cactus and has no idea what a snake is. Dumbest dog I've ever seen. But he's mine! Plus he's over 14 now so getting in and out of the vehicle is not as easy as it once was.

Thread Information