Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Disadvantages of buying a duely?

Re: Disadvantages of buying a duely?

Quote Originally Posted by Huck View Post
    With a dually, you'll have tire scrub, just like you have with any dual-tire set up (trailers or big rigs). Just can't turn all four tires at the same time and that does causes scrubbing/wear. You will learn to pull through spaces or back into them to park. Not difficult. I love my one ton, CCLB, SRW truck. It is stable, stupid long, and more than wide enough.
    If you are looking for a tow rig and the deal is a solid one, the above statements, aren't deal breakers. I would buy one, if the deal was right. I wouldn't want to DD one and my SRW truck is a monster, in LA. Couldn't imagine trying to park and manage driving a dually around it, when I'm here.
    says the srw driver :P

anyways, tire scrub is so minimal with a dually you probably wont even notice. now if you had a tandem axle, you will notice it. plus weight is a huge factor in it.

youre right parking isn't a big deal, after you've been driving it for a while. but being a noob to a very long wheel base, it can be very intimidating trying to finagle one into a standard parking spot. especially when, pulling through or backing in is not an option.

as for the above statements not being deal breakers, that's not entirely true. the insurance premium alone could make that sweet deal on the truck go sour. along with the extra cost on registration etc

now, I daily drove mine for many years and the only complaint I had? I wish my dually was a diesel. that's it.

I have hundreds of thousands of miles driving all throughout cali (and the lower 48) in a 45 foot prevost xl2. after all of that, driving my dually is like driving a go kart. its all about adaptability. once you figure out what you can and cant do in it. driving it becomes a breeze

now, if its a deal that's too good to pass up AFTER weighing in the other factors, go for it. just familiarize yourself with it for a bit and don't let it intimidate you. the length teaches you to swing wide. the trackwidth is another story...

tony
    Last edited by pigpen; 06-20-2016 at 09:20 AM. Reason: spelling, more words
    2012 jkur - rk 5.5" long arm x factor lift, 37" nitto trail grapplers, 5.38s, or fab bumpers, tire carrier, sliders and the list goes on and on and on.....
    2012 civic si sedan - boosted, tuned, 360whp blah blah blah...
    1988 chevy crew cab dually (squarebody) - slated for a full build soon

I know a guy that had a SRW superduty and after purchasing a 40' toy hauler, he traded it in for a DRW. He sad the SRW was white knuckle driving going down the hills. (he was probably running way too fast, but that's an assumption)

Anyway, I have a SRW so I will limit the size of my next trailer accordingly.

Oh, and never mind the internet spelling/grammar police. All forums have them. It's a good forum in spite of them.

Quote Originally Posted by pigpen View Post
    says the srw driver :P

anyways, tire scrub is so minimal with a dually you probably wont even notice. now if you had a tandem axle, you will notice it. plus weight is a huge factor in it.

youre right parking isn't a big deal, after you've been driving it for a while. but being a noob to a very long wheel base, it can be very intimidating trying to finagle one into a standard parking spot. especially when, pulling through or backing in is not an option.

as for the above statements not being deal breakers, that's not entirely true. the insurance premium alone could make that sweet deal on the truck go sour. along with the extra cost on registration etc

now, I daily drove mine for many years and the only complaint I had? I wish my dually was a diesel. that's it.

I have hundreds of thousands of miles driving all throughout cali (and the lower 48) in a 45 foot prevost xl2. after all of that, driving my dually is like driving a go kart. its all about adaptability. once you figure out what you can and cant do in it. driving it becomes a breeze

now, if its a deal that's too good to pass up AFTER weighing in the other factors, go for it. just familiarize yourself with it for a bit and don't let it intimidate you. the length teaches you to swing wide. the trackwidth is another story...

tony
    Too funny. SRW driver by choice, after owning both and regularly towing no more than 15k +/-. No issues with sway, at speed, but I'm not running over-loaded. My rig is a commercial plated rig, but I have no ill effects from higher insurance premiums. It's actually pretty cheap to insure. What bums me out the most is the annual emissions testing and being limited to year long registrations. I ran a shipping yard, in Flagstaff, carrying a CDL. Have a 'few' miles of dually time under my belt as well. Still wouldn't choose to DD a DRW or even my SRW, but I'm wierd and DD one of my Harleys.
    yah, Huck you newbie, Rubicon drivin', mall Cruisin', bling-bling, bolt-on, got no drivin skillz, drove thru a AutoZone with a crap magnet attached, H2 wannabe, poseur! Pay attention!
    If you would pry your sorry arse out the Scottsdale Fashion Square once in a while you would know more about the BLM and the USFS (you do know those acronyms, right?).

What bums me out the most is the annual emissions testing and being limited to year long registrations.
    I have to agree with this.

"Lophat is not going anywhere, it's a reference. This forum would fold up and die if he left. LOL!" -- OTR-93YJ

"if they are like LoPhat, then their heads are stuck so far up their rear they have re-emerged as a head." -- From_Catherine

"Lo-Phat.. Don't wash the XJ. You don't want someone to confuse it as a mall crawler.." -- Will E

Too funny. SRW driver by choice, after owning both and regularly towing no more than 15k +/-. No issues with sway, at speed, but I'm not running over-loaded. My rig is a commercial plated rig, but I have no ill effects from higher insurance premiums. It's actually pretty cheap to insure. What bums me out the most is the annual emissions testing and being limited to year long registrations. I ran a shipping yard, in Flagstaff, carrying a CDL. Have a 'few' miles of dually time under my belt as well. Still wouldn't choose to DD a DRW or even my SRW, but I'm wierd and DD one of my Harleys.
    the first sentence was so sarcastic brother. I meant nothing by it. a cclb is a cclb

as for the insurance, you are lucky. when I had mine under my auto policy, the rate was insane due to the comm reg. as soon as I put comm ins on it, the rate was much much cheaper. not everyone realizes the difference hence the reason I mentioned rates possibly going up.

as for the emissions, there are ways around that as mine hasn't been emissioned in 20 years. I also get 5 years tags

I couldn't agree more about dd a dually, hell I don't even dd my jeep anymore. I bought a civic for those duties since I cant ride sportbikes anymore...

all I'm saying is, some people really don't need, let alone drive at all a vehicle of its size for a magnitude of reasons. I'm not trying to deter him from picking one up, just giving him as much info as possible being an current owner of one.

tony
    2012 jkur - rk 5.5" long arm x factor lift, 37" nitto trail grapplers, 5.38s, or fab bumpers, tire carrier, sliders and the list goes on and on and on.....

Huck, I believe the yearly emissions is because it's a diesel not cuz of being a 3500, all of my 2500s have been 1 year registrations

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    MPGs? Real trucks go by GPM...

Quote Originally Posted by redneck20 View Post
    Huck, I believe the yearly emissions is because it's a diesel not cuz of being a 3500, all of my 2500s have been 1 year registrations
    My dually is not a diesel. It requires yearly emissions testing and registration.

"Lophat is not going anywhere, it's a reference. This forum would fold up and die if he left. LOL!" -- OTR-93YJ

"if they are like LoPhat, then their heads are stuck so far up their rear they have re-emerged as a head." -- From_Catherine

"Lo-Phat.. Don't wash the XJ. You don't want someone to confuse it as a mall crawler.." -- Will E

On my F250 it was yearly till a lady at one of the third party places asked me why I was registered as commercial. I said I don't know. She changed it and I could then go two years. It was a gas engine though.

It may be because of it being commercial . Maybe commercial regs or diesel have to be 1 yr. I know people with 2500 gas trucks that get more than 1 year.

I don't know anyone that has a 3500 gas so not sure on that

MPGs? Real trucks go by GPM...

the first sentence was so sarcastic brother. I meant nothing by it. a cclb is a cclb
    Totally cool. It was before my first cup of joe and tapacrap doesn't show me the sarcastic emoji, correctly. I simply missed it.

Although I am interested in hearing about how I can extend my annual registration duties.
    yah, Huck you newbie, Rubicon drivin', mall Cruisin', bling-bling, bolt-on, got no drivin skillz, drove thru a AutoZone with a crap magnet attached, H2 wannabe, poseur! Pay attention!
    If you would pry your sorry arse out the Scottsdale Fashion Square once in a while you would know more about the BLM and the USFS (you do know those acronyms, right?).

Disadvantages of buying a duely?

Quote Originally Posted by redneck20 View Post
    It may be because of it being commercial . Maybe commercial regs or diesel have to be 1 yr. I know people with 2500 gas trucks that get more than 1 year.

I don't know anyone that has a 3500 gas so not sure on that

I was told that 3/4 ton trucks could go either way, commercial or non-comm. Having a 1 ton, AZ doesn't give you a choice and it's automatically a commercial plate and registration. I'm really not sure why, if it's for personal use, but that's my commercial plate issue. I've got a diesel, so that's another issue. Didn't realize that they need to blow and be sniffed, annually. I wonder what passenger car diesels have, as requirements?
    The other issue with commercial tags is the extra $4 fee for being a commercial vehicle, when you renew your plates.

Totally cool. It was before my first cup of joe and tapacrap doesn't show me the sarcastic emoji, correctly. I simply missed it.

Although I am interested in hearing about how I can extend my annual registration duties.
    originally my llc was up in montana, which doesn't require emissions nor inspections. registration was literally next to nothing as well. they do a bracket system based off of year. its kind wild, check it out when you got a moment. anyways, now my llc is based out of dewey where my "business partner" lives. no emissions and 5 year tags. while I'm technically supposed to emission it since I bring it into Maricopa every once in a blue moon, not a single officer has cared when pulled over.

tony

originally my llc was up in montana, which doesn't require emissions nor inspections. registration was literally next to nothing as well. they do a bracket system based off of year. its kind wild, check it out when you got a moment. anyways, now my llc is based out of dewey where my "business partner" lives. no emissions and 5 year tags. while I'm technically supposed to emission it since I bring it into Maricopa every once in a blue moon, not a single officer has cared when pulled over.

tony
    Makes sense. I've got a 5yr on my Jeep that's domiciled off of Lake Mary Rd, in Flagstaff. Truck is domiciled in the 602... Thinking that I'm stuck working the annual renewal circuit.
    Thanks.

no prob brother.

tony

I was told that 3/4 ton trucks could go either way, commercial or non-comm. Having a 1 ton, AZ doesn't give you a choice and it's automatically a commercial plate and registration. I'm really not sure why, if it's for personal use, but that's my commercial plate issue.
    I've never heard about this. Doesn't make a ton of sense.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information