Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Disadvantages of buying a duely?

Disadvantages of buying a duely?

i was lookin at a 3/4 ton pick ups as a tow vehicle, and I come upon a good deal on a 1 ton duely. What are the disadvantages of a duely besides the shear size and having to replace 6 tires.
    Last edited by johnstd; 06-19-2016 at 09:08 PM.

Re: Disadvantages of buying a duely?

That's it ! just 6 tires... but advantage is more weight on the tow vehicle . Bigger bed ! long wheel base rides better on long trips when towing rides great, high winds don't move you around as much .Turns are better being wide holds the road much better.

They are a little harder to fit in parking spaces. Other than that no disadvantages that I can think of.

You would first need to learn how to spell "dually"...

... unless it happens to be an old school GM "Big Dooley".

Either way, there is no such thing as a "duely".

"Lophat is not going anywhere, it's a reference. This forum would fold up and die if he left. LOL!" -- OTR-93YJ

"if they are like LoPhat, then their heads are stuck so far up their rear they have re-emerged as a head." -- From_Catherine

"Lo-Phat.. Don't wash the XJ. You don't want someone to confuse it as a mall crawler.." -- Will E

the replacing 6 tires isn't really a bad thing. the tires I had on mine were rated for 100k miles (I got more out of them than that), which is double what my civic tires are rated for. so in actuality my civic is more expensive since I replace 8 to the duallies 6 (cost per tire is about the same).

parking can be a nightmare depending on where you go. and with a trailer, it gets more fun.

the biggest disadvantages I have run across while owning a dually?

registration is more since you get to pay a weight tax AND for a commercial registration.

not all insurance companies will insure a one ton. and if they do, the rates are a bit more due to the "commercial" rating.

ive been dealing with it for years and ill tell you, the advantages far outweigh the disadvantages.

tony
    2012 jkur - rk 5.5" long arm x factor lift, 37" nitto trail grapplers, 5.38s, or fab bumpers, tire carrier, sliders and the list goes on and on and on.....
    2012 civic si sedan - boosted, tuned, 360whp blah blah blah...
    1988 chevy crew cab dually (squarebody) - slated for a full build soon

As far as Ram trucks go, the 2500 and 3500 suspensions are different. The suspension in the 3500 dually is extremely stiff and harsh when unloaded. With some good weight on the rear end it rides great. I would say I use my truck for 80% towing.

It really comes down to how often you tow and how heavy . With a 3500 dually compared to a 2500 you gain a lot of payload/towing capacity vs the downsides of a harsher ride and cost of 2 more tires.

I would recommend going and driving it to see what you think of the ride quality. Or go to the dealer and drive a 2500 and 3500 back to back.

Quote Originally Posted by LO PHAT View Post
    Name:  url.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  14.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by pigpen View Post
    the replacing 6 tires isn't really a bad thing. the tires I had on mine were rated for 100k miles (I got more out of them than that),
    I had a set of all terrains that lasted around 70,000 miles on mine, the majority towing heavy stuff. I guess sharing the load across 4 tires instead of 2 really does make a difference in tire wear.

Either way an extra two tires is what, like $500 once every few years? Not really worth factoring that into the purchase decision.

Ford 6.7 Superduty DRW rides just about the same as a SRW Superduty. And the newer DRW ride better than the older SRW.

Quote Originally Posted by LO PHAT View Post
    You would first need to learn how to spell "dually"...

... unless it happens to be an old school GM "Big Dooley".

Really, for a spelling error, no wonder no one visits this site anymore. .I wont.

if you end up getting a dually, welcome to the world of land yachts, if not, I don't blame you

tony
    2012 jkur - rk 5.5" long arm x factor lift, 37" nitto trail grapplers, 5.38s, or fab bumpers, tire carrier, sliders and the list goes on and on and on.....

Quote Originally Posted by johnstd View Post
    Really, for a spelling error, no wonder no one visits this site anymore. .I wont.
    That was a seriously lame response...

Instead you could not get butthurt, own your spelling mistake, thank me for the education, and go buy one of the coolest trucks on the planet.

EDIT: What is it with people these days? If you are going to own a badass truck, you should at least be able to spell what it is, right? There was nothing offensive in my post. I am a dually owner and fanatic. I know that pigpen is too. I was simply passing along some educational information.

Last edited by LO PHAT; 06-20-2016 at 08:04 AM. Reason: growing tired of the pussification of people these days ... especially those considering owning a dually

"Lophat is not going anywhere, it's a reference. This forum would fold up and die if he left. LOL!" -- OTR-93YJ

"if they are like LoPhat, then their heads are stuck so far up their rear they have re-emerged as a head." -- From_Catherine

"Lo-Phat.. Don't wash the XJ. You don't want someone to confuse it as a mall crawler.." -- Will E

If replacing 6 tires is a big deal then just do the drives and steers at different times

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    MPGs? Real trucks go by GPM...

if buying 6 tires is a big deal, don't buy a dually at all. its like complaining about their fuel mileage (amongst other things)......

tony

Disadvantages of buying a duely?

With a dually, you'll have tire scrub, just like you have with any dual-tire set up (trailers or big rigs). Just can't turn all four tires at the same time and that does causes scrubbing/wear. You will learn to pull through spaces or back into them to park. Not difficult. I love my one ton, CCLB, SRW truck. It is stable, stupid long, and more than wide enough.
    If you are looking for a tow rig and the deal is a solid one, the above statements, aren't deal breakers. I would buy one, if the deal was right. I wouldn't want to DD one and my SRW truck is a monster, in LA. Couldn't imagine trying to park and manage driving a dually around it, when I'm here.
    yah, Huck you newbie, Rubicon drivin', mall Cruisin', bling-bling, bolt-on, got no drivin skillz, drove thru a AutoZone with a crap magnet attached, H2 wannabe, poseur! Pay attention!
    If you would pry your sorry arse out the Scottsdale Fashion Square once in a while you would know more about the BLM and the USFS (you do know those acronyms, right?).

Quote Originally Posted by lo phat View Post
    that was a seriously lame response...

Instead you could not get butthurt, own your spelling mistake, thank me for the education, and go buy one of the coolest trucks on the planet.

Edit: What is it with people these days? If you are going to own a badass truck, you should at least be able to spell what it is, right? There was nothing offensive in my post. I am a dually owner and fanatic. I know that pigpen is too. I was simply passing along some educational information.

x2
    your mileage may vary

locked/locked
    241OR
    456s
    mighty 33s

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information