Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bob's Cove at Apache Lake Trail Report

Bob's Cove at Apache Lake Trail Report

Bob's Cove

This is a one way in/one way out trail that goes to a cove on Apache Lake. We named the cove after the friend who told us about it. It starts out easy on Mill's Ridge Road near Roosevelt Lake; then follow the tracks below for appropriate turns to the cove.

Trail-head Location:

Near Roosevelt Lake & Punkin Center, AZ

How to get there:

From the Phoenix/Scottsdale area, take Hwy 87 north, go right on Hwy 188. Go about 15 miles past the Tonto Basin Marketplace in Punkin Center and make a right just before a bridge onto Mill's Ridge Road.

Nearby Services:
    Tonto Basin Marketplace near Punkin Center / Tonto Basin map here: https://goo.gl/maps/eEMpj
    • Gas, Air
    • Convenience Store (carries lots great pre-made food like sandwiches and such)
    • Ice, Water

Distance (in miles): The trail is 9.4 miles each way

Trail Rating:

4/2/2016: Starts out on easy graded road. After turning onto a lesser trail it quickly degenerates from non-use. Trail is currently rated mostly a strong moderate and difficult in spots. High clearance, low gears and lockers recommended.

Trail Conditions:

On 4/2/2016: The trail is deteriorating from non-use. Consider taking tree trimming tools. Very brushy in many places; expect lots of AZ pin striping. I lost both antennas to overhanging branches! Use caution crossing one off-camber section high on a ridge. Many steep ascents and descents, tight turns, large boulders in places.

Beautiful view of Roosevelt Lake at the start & end of the trail:

View of backside of Four Peaks:

Plenty of room to park at the cove and just before you get to the cove (we had 7 Jeeps on this trip):

More pictures and trip report Click Here.

Tracks:

This forum won't let me upload the tracks, so if you want the file Click Here.
    Last edited by dzJeepChic; 06-12-2016 at 12:42 PM.

Re: Bob's Cove at Apache Lake Trail Report

That looks like a really fun trail, thanks for sharing.

Thanks for the write up and pics.
    Going to have to run this trail.
    2013, JKUR, DOZER (MAC & CHEEZE), MANY UPGRADES, 35's, 31/2 Lift,

I updated the post because this forum won't let me upload the tracks, so if you want the tracks PM me your email address and I'll send the gpx file to you.

Looks like catfishing hole to me
    New #6312 buggy under way .. -Kaos Krawlers- LetzRoll Offroad Racing #. JM Rigging Supply, Catsonly Muffler

I hate to bring this up, but I have looked on the Tonto map for this trail and I do not find the part of the trail that goes all the way down to Apache Lake. It appears to me that you may have taken a path that is not recognized by Tonto as a legal forest road.
    2010 2 door Rubicon, 37x12.5 MTR's, Terraflex 2.5" lift, Bushwacker Flat Fenders, Smittybuilt XRC bumbers and sliders, Warn 9500 Powerplant winch, Dual tops, Hard and soft doors, Superchip, ...and the list will grow.

Quote Originally Posted by JLabr2 View Post
    I hate to bring this up, but I have looked on the Tonto map for this trail and I do not find the part of the trail that goes all the way down to Apache Lake. It appears to me that you may have taken a path that is not recognized by Tonto as a legal forest road.
    You take the wash to the cove.

Yeah, like I said, the wash is not a recognized forest road by Tonto thereby it is not legal to take this trail down to the cove.
    2010 2 door Rubicon, 37x12.5 MTR's, Terraflex 2.5" lift, Bushwacker Flat Fenders, Smittybuilt XRC bumbers and sliders, Warn 9500 Powerplant winch, Dual tops, Hard and soft doors, Superchip, ...and the list will grow.

Yeah, like I said, the wash is not a recognized forest road by Tonto thereby it is not legal to take this trail down to the cove.
    yet another reason to not share your trail.

I hate to bring this up, ...
    No you don't, you love it and you know it.

Quote Originally Posted by lethaljeep View Post
    yet another reason to not share your trail.
    Right?

I'm an old school Jeeper here and I've always understood that washes are legal to drive in.

If you had asked me to see my tracks I'd have more confidence that you even know what route I'm talking about. Tonto has not released a MVUM, so I think the wash is open.

I do know that mother nature is eventually going to close this trail if we don't start using it.

Yes, I agree that Tonto has been slow to get their travel management plan out there so we know where we can and cannot go. That being said, Tonto currently says that if a trail does not have a numbered trail posted, then it is not open for travel. I am just concerned that if we openly post trail runs on this forum that are not open, then Tonto might be harder to work with in the future. Maybe I am just being paranoid.

Great pics, thank you!
    Get Down With the Sickness!

Yes, I agree that Tonto has been slow to get their travel management plan out there so we know where we can and cannot go. That being said, Tonto currently says that if a trail does not have a numbered trail posted, then it is not open for travel. I am just concerned that if we openly post trail runs on this forum that are not open, then Tonto might be harder to work with in the future. Maybe I am just being paranoid.
    There is also an Arizona law that says if the federal government closes a trail to the public (the actual owners of the land) they must enforce the closure. It cannot be enforced by local, county or state LEO. The law was sponsored by the G&F commissioner a few years back.

Go enjoy the trails. The Tonto will do exactly what the BLM is doing. They did their studies, closed the trails, gave us a map, and now are starting the process to close more trails.

That would be FR 336. If you check the Tonto proposed travel map I believe you'll find it is slated for closure. No, I don't think you are being paranoid.

Until then there is no reason not to consider it open.

Good judgement comes from experience. Experience more often than not comes from bad judgement.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information