Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Project Brisket

Project Brisket

Quote Originally Posted by leetevo View Post
    Meh...Jesse Haines and quite a few Aussies rock them portals. I don't know if they'll live out here, but i'm going to give it a shot. If they end up blowing up, all i need to do is sell a kidney and make a call to spidertrax :-). Personally, I can't wait for rear steer. There is a learning curve i'm sure;however, I'm stoked to give it a shot.
    Judging out in Congress, I got to see Jesse's shizz up close. It's sexy and was working well, but his motor, not so much. I know they work well with a light rig.
    You also mentioned the Red Dot crew, who's shizz worked very well on my course, A4. I understand the direction you are going. Red Dot's rigs are not nearly the weight of JH's. I'm happy to watch the birth of this rig and hope to see you on a course in 2017. Would be cool to hit a trail with you, in 16, when its done.

Bo and the Red Dot boys, are about the best I've seen with the rear steer. Have fun, learning. No deductions for it this year, in the right classes. ; )

No knocking of the Spidertrax... I'm a bit attached to mine.
    Last edited by Huck; 05-26-2016 at 05:44 AM.
    yah, Huck you newbie, Rubicon drivin', mall Cruisin', bling-bling, bolt-on, got no drivin skillz, drove thru a AutoZone with a crap magnet attached, H2 wannabe, poseur! Pay attention!
    If you would pry your sorry arse out the Scottsdale Fashion Square once in a while you would know more about the BLM and the USFS (you do know those acronyms, right?).

Re: Project Brisket

oday ran portals and rear steer and would blow them up on command. He learned not to use the rear steer because it would go BOOM right away. Those were 404 portals though and his rig weight about 10k so that might have had something to do with it.

Those portals look like beef and im sure they will hold up just fine. Its just one more thing to break though.

oday ran portals and rear steer and would blow them up on command. He learned not to use the rear steer because it would go BOOM right away. Those were 404 portals though and his rig weight about 10k so that might have had something to do with it.

Those portals look like beef and im sure they will hold up just fine. Its just one more thing to break though.

Project Brisket

Portals, Docal R8, I don't know anything about this **** but did some one say 404?
    Night run?
    I like to party

Quote Originally Posted by Huck View Post
    Judging out in Congress, I got to see Jesse's shizz up close. It's sexy and was working well, but his motor, not so much. I know they work well with a light rig.
    You also mentioned the Red Dot crew, who's shizz worked very well on my course, A4. I understand the direction you are going. Red Dot's rigs are not nearly the weight of JH's. I'm happy to watch the birth of this rig and hope to see you on a course in 2017. Would be cool to hit a trail with you, in 16, when its done.

Bo and the Red Dot boys, are about the best I've seen with the rear steer. Have fun, learning. No deductions for it this year, in the right classes. ; )

No knocking of the Spidertrax... I'm a bit attached to mine.
    JH ended up having to replace that motor and did very well at Cedar City (Ist). His platform is SUPER light and that definitely helps balance his 12HP motor . Reddot is more of the package I’m after, just not with the 150K pricetag. I talked to Kevin@reddot at length about a build last week. His buggy comes out under 3500- 4,000 lbs after all is said and done. The spidertrax stuff is sexy no doubt. It’s also super expensive. The other issue is you really need to run a Tru-high9 or 10” for maximum strength. After you add all your stuff, 300M etc… you are at least 30K into those suckers.

One advantage to the portals, is I don’t have to spend the big bucks on a third member or 40 spline shafts. With gear reduction done at the Hubs, there is far less stress at the diff. Currie was able to build me 2 drop ins, with ARB’s for less than one Gearworks 10”. Overall I’m probably 1/3 less the cost.

Quote Originally Posted by ShmUDE View Post

10K wow!. I was breaking 35 spline shafts on my 6K lbs JK on a regular basis. I expect this build to be sub 4000lbs. My guess is 3500ish…

Quote Originally Posted by CRAZYCASEY View Post
    Portals, Docal R8, I don't know anything about this **** but did some one say 404?
    Night run?
    Oh I know just the trail to go on. Hahaha

Never seen a portal hold up. Rear steer, well I have my opinion on that but will keep it to myself. . Remember with rear steer ground clearance is not an issue but strength is huge with a front end going in the rear. For cone dodging only it would be fine but you are going to wheel more than 4 or 5 times a year pretty sure.
    A little bit of something is a whole lot better than nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry@4Wheeler's Supply View Post
    Never seen a portal hold up. Rear steer, well I have my opinion on that but will keep it to myself. . Remember with rear steer ground clearance is not an issue but strength is huge with a front end going in the rear. For cone dodging only it would be fine but you are going to wheel more than 4 or 5 times a year pretty sure.
    Transgender steering or something like that right . In regards to the portals, I really want to try them. Again, if there is someone else who had done hummer portals on a 9" locally I defiantly want to chat. If it works great..if/when it blows up...spidertrax or i'll take up gardening.

Quote Originally Posted by leetevo View Post
    Transgender steering or something like that right . In regards to the portals, I really want to try them. Again, if there is someone else who had done hummer portals on a 9" locally I defiantly want to chat. If it works great..if/when it blows up...spidertrax or i'll take up gardening.
    Good friend of mine (Alan) had a hummer portal nine with rear steer and had a ton of issues. He bought the buggy with this in it. He quickly became know as Trail Plug. He sold the rear end to someone in Alaska and put a dana 70 or 80 in it. His rig was a typical buggy with typical weight...ford 302/c4/atlas.
    A little bit of something is a whole lot better than nothing.

Man..this is better then Christmas..New rock lights showed up:

I've gone out a few times with Kevin Carrol and his Red Dot rear steer buggy. His was always the most capable of the group.

Quote Originally Posted by BEETROOT View Post
    I've gone out a few times with Kevin Carrol and his Red Dot rear steer buggy. His was always the most capable of the group.
    Kevins buggy is crazy. I think he has something like 60 degrees of steering?

What gauges are those? This looks like a sweet build.

Quote Originally Posted by akecj7 View Post
    What gauges are those? This looks like a sweet build.
    Speedhut. You can customize them 100%. Lifetime warrenty only downside is they take a few weeks to build.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    IG: AZROCKCRAWLER

Thanks, those are awesome and the price is great too, save about half of what Autometer gauges would have cost.

55 front and rear.. im shooting for 42-45 on mine.. machined for 50 so have some give. psc is making me a nion standard ram to push some more
    New #6312 buggy under way .. -Kaos Krawlers- LetzRoll Offroad Racing #. JM Rigging Supply, Catsonly Muffler

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread Information