Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: $35 radio versus $450 radio (Baofeng vs. Yaesu

$35 radio versus $450 radio (Baofeng vs. Yaesu

I've owned a Yaesu VX-8DR and Baofeng UV-5R+ for about three years. Recently, I realized it was time to dump the VX-8 when I found myself annoyed if I had to hand the Baofeng to someone else for a Jeep trip and use the VX-8. Almost everything about it is harder to use than the Baofeng, and one of three objective quality measures is worse too (the speaker is way too quiet). I have no way to really measure transmit distance other than having them side by side, they seem to do about the same. Same for receive, except like I said, the Yaesu volume is way too low.

The buttons are hard to press on the VX-8. This is probably related to it being waterproof. It's one main reason I can't give it to newbies, they often don't actually get the PTT pressed properly or at all, and others can't hear them of course. The battery life is far less than the Baofeng's. Setup on the radio itself is slightly more challenging, though of course, you can use CHIRP to program both.

The Yaesu does more bands, that may or may not matter to you. I have never found myself using 50MHz or 220MHz.

Cost for accessories is just insane. You don't even get a cradle for the Yaesu, and buying one costs almost as much as a Baofeng radio. The mic/speaker for the Yaesu costs about as much as two Baofeng radios, while the mic/speaker for the Baofeng is $7. Etc.

The antenna on the Baofeng is a bit short and thus kind of crappy, so I replaced it with a Diamond. Now it does better than the stock Yaesu antenna.

My Yaesu is on eBay. It can find a new home with someone who needs the APRS stuff or just likes brands over substance.
    Carlos Alvarez
    2015 copper pearl JKU Rubicon
    KG7EQI

Re: $35 radio versus $450 radio (Baofeng vs. Yaesu

I'm with you man, and I have been preaching about the Baofengs for a while. I have used my $30 Baofengs alongside PCI Icom ($250 each) and there is no noticeable difference in range or anything else. And the Baofeng is the same radio that Rugged sells with a different skin for 3x the price.

I wish they would come out with a 50 watt base radio now.

Quote Originally Posted by BEETROOT View Post
    I wish they would come out with a 50 watt base radio now.
    I just put a 60w VHF mobile in the Jeep, a Luiton 580. Seems fine so far, haven't used it much more than just hopping on a repeater and chatting. It was cheap. You can easily make that a base.
    Carlos Alvarez
    KG7EQI

Cool, thanks I'll check that out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Btech (Baofeng) has two mobiles, one a dual band 50w that has tested at around 70w:

https://baofengtech.com/uv-5001

And now a 20-25w tri band:

https://baofengtech.com/uv-2501+220
    Ted - K2AMD
    2006 KJ pretty much stock, but well stocked when I travel!
    Quote Originally Posted by Locked & Loaded View Post
    LOL. I'm one of the dbags.

Quote Originally Posted by teddyearp View Post
    Btech (Baofeng) has two mobiles, one a dual band 50w that has tested at around 70w:

https://baofengtech.com/uv-5001

And now a 20-25w tri band:

https://baofengtech.com/uv-2501+220
    Cool! I might pick one of those up.

Never came across that on Amazon because I only search for Baofeng, didn't know they go by BTech also. Thanks for the heads up.

I recently went to a TYT-9800 mobile in my Jeep. It's a quad band with an 800 channel memory and costs about $200, including the remote mount kit on Amazon.
    http://www.amazon.com/TYT-TYT-TH-980...words=tyt+9800

There is a local dealer who also sells them pre-programmed with just about every repeater, DPS, local PD/FD and more that you could possibly want or need. It's nice not to have to program in 800 channels! My problem is the darn radio is smarter than me. I am still learning how to use the scan, priority VFO, etc.

I do have a Yaesu FTM 400XDR but that is too pricey to install in a JK when I run around with no doors a good part of the year.

TYT also has a handheld that I have been playing with. I like it better than BF stuff and almost never use my VX7R anymore.

Life's Short - Play Dirty

Quote Originally Posted by chazur View Post
    I recently went to a TYT-9800 mobile in my Jeep. It's a quad band with an 800 channel memory and costs about $200, including the remote mount kit on Amazon.
    http://www.amazon.com/TYT-TYT-TH-980...words=tyt+9800

There is a local dealer who also sells them pre-programmed with just about every repeater, DPS, local PD/FD and more that you could possibly want or need. It's nice not to have to program in 800 channels! My problem is the darn radio is smarter than me. I am still learning how to use the scan, priority VFO, etc.

I do have a Yaesu FTM 400XDR but that is too pricey to install in a JK when I run around with no doors a good part of the year.

TYT also has a handheld that I have been playing with. I like it better than BF stuff and almost never use my VX7R anymore.

I've been very happy with my TYT TH9000 over the last 15 months or so. It's cheap, powerful, quiet and tough. It's even been completely wet before without consequence.

Linky:

TYT TYT-TH-9000D Two Way Radio

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006QMM9XM..._vkgsxbT9B0C6H

Last edited by Chili; 05-27-2016 at 08:44 AM. Reason: Bad Link
    K7ARB

Never came across that on Amazon because I only search for Baofeng, didn't know they go by BTech also. Thanks for the heads up.
    I would just search for "amateur radio" or "VHF radio" because there are so many brands. I found one I'd never seen, Luiton, and bought it. VHF only, but it's 60w and I just don't find a need to be on UHF or other bands. My needs are to talk to others who all have VHF ability, and to hit the repeaters for either conversation or in an emergency. Yesterday I hit the CK repeater from just off 17 near the Turkey Creek loop.
    Carlos Alvarez
    KG7EQI

Oh, and yeah, everything I've read about the 9800 is very good. I was hoping it could replace a CB, but although it will tune CB frequencies, it transmits in FM mode only. Would have been nice to have it all in one radio.

Where are you guys putting your antenna, and what kind? I have a generic Diamond dual-band on a "trunk lip" mount that's actually on the hood lip. Trees knock it back on pretty much every trip. I can't find a better answer. I'd love to have replaced the stock AM/FM antenna with the ham, but haven't found any mount that would be clean.
    Carlos Alvarez
    KG7EQI

Quote Originally Posted by calvarez View Post
    Where are you guys putting your antenna, and what kind? I have a generic Diamond dual-band on a "trunk lip" mount that's actually on the hood lip. Trees knock it back on pretty much every trip. I can't find a better answer. I'd love to have replaced the stock AM/FM antenna with the ham, but haven't found any mount that would be clean.
    Locating the antenna always seems to be a problem with a Jeep. There is no ideal place it seems.

I am using the FireStik 2 meter antenna on a spring mount.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000SA4DK0..._7jisxbKZY2SZA

The first place I tried was a custom mount on my tailgate plate:

The problem with that was it sandwiched the antenna between my tire carrier bumper and the tailgate. Sandwiching the antenna between two pieces of steel is never going to be good. So now it is on another custom mount made simply from a piece of 2 inch square tube and welded outboard on the tire carrier. This has been working well for over a year.

K7ARB

Huh, I wasn't aware that spring mounts could be compatible with a VHF antenna. Maybe I need to do some more searching.

My CB antenna mount is ideal and looks awesome, but I'm pretty sure it would not work on VHF. Guess I could buy one and try, they are cheap.

Carlos Alvarez
    KG7EQI

I have a Rugged Ridge CB antenna mount on the tire carrier and a buddy had an extra Arizona Rocky Road antenna mount he gave me for my ham rig. The price was right and it does the job. I would, however, like to have the ham antenna sit about 4 inches lower to clear my garage or carport so I don't have to keep taking the antenna off if I want to park under cover.

Name:  IMG_0003.JPG
Views: 837
Size:  539.0 KBName:  IMG_0004.JPG
Views: 832
Size:  780.5 KB

Life's Short - Play Dirty

Sometimes I forget I have a welder and a plasma cutter and can make stuff. That looks like a great idea. I just have to extend my coax/buy another.
    Carlos Alvarez
    KG7EQI

Also, I'd be happy to help re-fab yours to be shorter.
    Carlos Alvarez
    KG7EQI

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information