Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Soldier Pass trail at immediate risk of public closure - help needed

Soldier Pass trail at immediate risk of public closure - help needed

I can't figure out what the implementation date is. There is a 45 day objection period after it is published publically, but that is limited to those who previously submitted written comments during the comment period.

I wonder what the "bidding" process was for who would end up getting exclusive access? That would be an interesting FOIA request.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ShaknNotStirred; 09-17-2016 at 10:10 AM.

Re: Soldier Pass trail at immediate risk of public closure - help needed

This bothers me:
    "Closing only 1.2 miles of road to motorized use would not significantly affect the publicís access to motorized recreation opportunities."
    and:
    "Indirect effects are limited to areas where some displacement may occur on the Red Rock Ranger District, especially the Broken Arrow Road."

So is the plan to take away 1.2 miles at a time? Is Broken Arrow going to be the next trail on their list for private access only?

I will predict right now that the people that live near the entrance/exit to Broken Arrow will see how this has turned out and they will be pushing the forest service to do the same for that trail.
    2004 LJ, I6, BFG KM2 33s, 3" Teraflex lift, d30/d44, Locked/LSD, 4.56, 8K winch, Rancho rs9000x. - Joe -

You can read all of the public comments here: http://a123.g.akamai.net/7/123/11558...T3_3888756.pdf

Glancing through the Pro-B comments (which includes a unanimous vote from Sedona's city council!) it seems like "ATV noise" is one of the most commonly cited reasons. Looks like a few morons running open pipes ruin it for the rest of us.

Re: Soldiers Pass Motorized Use Project

There is a 45 day objection period stated. But the only objections accepted are from those who sent in comments concerning this (which I did). Could use some help composing a formal objection.............PM's to me here or on the Facebook site would be appreciated.
    Last edited by tmgarmon; 09-20-2016 at 03:49 PM.
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by OTR-93YJ View Post
    But, yea, when it comes to those types of headlights, round is best!

Quote Originally Posted by IOwnCalculus View Post
    Welp.

Yep. It happened. The Forest Service has officially decided to provide motorized access to public lands exclusively to a private company. Total sham in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Cactus Ed View Post
    There's no question in my mind that if the residents on the way to Soldier Pass win this one, the folks on Broken Arrow won't be far behind in lodging a protest. Any reduction in traffic anywhere will put more pressure on that. The chances of any closure out there are virtually zero, although I would bet within 10 years there will be a cap and you will need to lottery for access.

There is a fair amount of legal precedent where private access collides with commercial use on Federal lands. http://gcpba.org/2010/08/30/will-ano...elp-or-hinder/

CC your "elected representatives" with anything you send to the FS.
    Mike your comment is even more pertinent considering that in the Draft Decision Notice, the author specifically states that they will be actively monitoring Broken Arrow for increased traffic displaced by the public closure of Soldier Pass. To me, additional / active "monitoring" translates as a precursor to proposed closure. I would be willing to wager that we will be revisiting this same issue at Broken Arrow in a few years.

"Hey, let's close this one so that more people will go to this other place, then we can justify closing the other place because of the increased traffic." Dominos.

Scott
    Last edited by TreeKiller; 09-16-2016 at 11:12 AM.
    '93 YJ, 4.0, NV4500, Atlas, 35s
    '17 WK2, 5.7, ZF8HP70, NV245, 31s

Betcha that Pink Jeep Tours gets Broken Arrow Exclusively in a few years......or maybe less
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by OTR-93YJ View Post
    But, yea, when it comes to those types of headlights, round is best!

Quote Originally Posted by jhart View Post
    I wonder who got paid. I don't understand why only one jeep tour company would be allowed to utilize this trail.
    Ann Kirkpatrick (among others, probably). Follow the money. Same person who sold Hackberry to Rio Tinto.

https://www.govtrack.us/congress/members/AZ/1

https://kirkpatrick.house.gov/az-rep...iz-copper-mine

Alternative B is a lawsuit looking for a lawyer. The precedent is already set - https://www.nps.gov/grca/learn/news/...ir_Opinion.pdf

Plaintiffs argue that the allocation of river access between
    commercial and noncommercial users is inequitable and thus
    limits the free access of members of the public....

And in the interest of full disclosure - with the full knowledge that it'll piss most of you off - I wrote in support of closure. My comment is #243.
    Good judgement comes from experience. Experience more often than not comes from bad judgement.

I'm sure the "real" trail was closed long before my time. You can see where it's been closed as a through trail at a few points. I truly would love if they left this trail open to the public for motor vehicle use, but at the same time, I almost don't even care. The amount of trail that's even drive-able is so short, that you might as well just walk/hike.

Quote Originally Posted by jhart View Post
    I wonder who got paid. I don't understand why only one jeep tour company would be allowed to utilize this trail.
    Permit system. Pink Jeep has Broken Arrow, Red Rock has Soldiers Pass, Sedona Offroad has Cliffhanger, etc. In turn the Tour companies take care of "trail maintenance" (like turning the most challenging part of Cliffhanger into a flat trail) and have a specialty trail that other companies can't go on. Every trail a company runs technically is permitted, but the specialty trails have tighter restrictions as far as number of tour vehicles per hour.

Quote Originally Posted by Begz View Post
    I'm sure the "real" trail was closed long before my time. You can see where it's been closed as a through trail at a few points. I truly would love if they left this trail open to the public for motor vehicle use, but at the same time, I almost don't even care. The amount of trail that's even drive-able is so short, that you might as well just walk/hike.
    The issue I see is the Broken Arrow community using this to limit public access to the Broken Arrow trail as well. The USFS has set a precedent by stating that public access can be limited, while commercial use can still continue on our "public" trails. Lord knows the USFS is monitoring use on BA with the game camera perched in the trees near the entry obstacle. They're not concerned with who's parking and hiking/biking in, but the motorized traffic using the trail.

Soldiers Pass should of been either left open to all motorized use or closed to all motorized use, period.

They have been monitoring motorized vehicle traffic on BA for some time. There has been a game camera in the trees by the entry obstacle for sometime now. I'm in 100% agreement with the BA community using this to restrict public access in the near future.

This is a draft decision. Is there any way to appeal or challenge it before it becomes final? Would getting the media involved help to put pressure on the "responsible official" by drawing attention to the fact that taxpayer funds will benefit a private enterprise on public land?

Life's Short - Play Dirty

45 days to object and after that they have 5 business days to finalize it. At least that's what I'm understanding from what I've read in the USFS documents. This has been an issue for awhile and sadly, we're at the end game. Unfortunately, Sedona is filled with people who'd rather restrict access to protect "their" piece of Red Rock.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  94.6 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  89.6 KB

I just received the documents from the USFS, I guess because I submitted my comments in response to the proposal. I did notice that there is a chance to appeal. I realize it's probably a done deal, but this is an election year. We might be able to put a public spotlight on this issue and appeal to elected officials and get some media coverage to try and persuade the USFS to keep the trail open. The argument that public lands should remain open to the public is very popular in Arizona and allowing this trail to be closed and accessed only by a for-profit enterprise would rub most constituents the wrong way. Is there still a lobbyist working OHV issues? This might be the only thing that could keep this and other trails from being closed to public access.

Life's Short - Play Dirty

It sounds like other areas. It's being turned into the "King's Forest" if you aren't considered to be "royalty" you can't use it.......
    Silence is Golden, but Duct Tape comes in many colors.
    Practice Leave No Trace, leave it cleaner than you found it.
    Jorneyman Polyphase Meterman - IBEW Local 387

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information