Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Soldier Pass trail at immediate risk of public closure - help needed

Soldier Pass trail at immediate risk of public closure - help needed

Quote Originally Posted by LO PHAT View Post
    Where did you see or hear that option A has been eliminated from consideration? The comment period is (supposed to be) open for 30 days from March 31, 2016.

I have to say that after studying the four options in detail, I am not thrilled with option C only providing 12 permits per day for public use while not also placing severe restrictions on commercial use. If the Forest Service plans originally called for up to 15 encounters per day (defined as the number of times one sees another person or party recreating in the area), option C would be excessively restrictive of public use (but could leave commercial use in the area opportunity to grow).

Read more details HERE.

It is entirely possible that, of the options presented, A and D are the only two that make any actual sense.
    You are correct. My apologies, there are four other alternatives that had already been eliminated from consideration. A (no change) and D (complete closure) are both indeed still on the table, along with options B (commercial use only) and C (open to limited public and commercial use). My opinion, and that's all it is, is that A is still off the table only because the chance of no action regardless of public comment is almost zero, and that's why Nena has taken the stance she published above. I.E. Calculated political move. Voting for A is equivalent to throwing your vote in the trash, so rather than waste it, pick the next best option that still gives you the chance to visit the trail, which is C.

Last edited by TreeKiller; 04-26-2016 at 11:43 AM.
    '93 YJ, 4.0, NV4500, Atlas, 35s
    '17 WK2, 5.7, ZF8HP70, NV245, 31s

Re: Soldier Pass trail at immediate risk of public closure - help needed

As to the 'growth of commercial use', seems like that was a concern early on that was addressed in the version of Alternative C that we have today. This was one of the other options already eliminated because it relied upon a pool of access that would be almost entirely dedicated to RRWJT from the beginning:

There's no question in my mind that if the residents on the way to Soldier Pass win this one, the folks on Broken Arrow won't be far behind in lodging a protest. Any reduction in traffic anywhere will put more pressure on that. The chances of any closure out there are virtually zero, although I would bet within 10 years there will be a cap and you will need to lottery for access.

There is a fair amount of legal precedent where private access collides with commercial use on Federal lands. http://gcpba.org/2010/08/30/will-ano...elp-or-hinder/

CC your "elected representatives" with anything you send to the FS.
    Good judgement comes from experience. Experience more often than not comes from bad judgement.

If this info is correct, option C and D are almost the same thing. Only 12 permits per day basically closes the trail to the majority of people. IMO option A is the only real choice to fight for. So that is what I put in my letter. I also put my opinion saying that a "free permit" system like in Bulldog Canyon would help and reduce the traffic on that trail.
    2010 2 door Rubicon, 37x12.5 MTR's, Terraflex 2.5" lift, Bushwacker Flat Fenders, Smittybuilt XRC bumbers and sliders, Warn 9500 Powerplant winch, Dual tops, Hard and soft doors, Superchip, ...and the list will grow.

Quote Originally Posted by JLabr2 View Post
    If this info is correct, option C and D are almost the same thing. Only 12 permits per day basically closes the trail to the majority of people.
    This is exactly how I interpreted option C.

"Lophat is not going anywhere, it's a reference. This forum would fold up and die if he left. LOL!" -- OTR-93YJ

"if they are like LoPhat, then their heads are stuck so far up their rear they have re-emerged as a head." -- From_Catherine

"Lo-Phat.. Don't wash the XJ. You don't want someone to confuse it as a mall crawler.." -- Will E

It's probably too late in the game for this but... if noise is one of the core issues, why not require / enforce noise limits on vehicles? While I don't want that trail restricted, I'm sure the constant droning of people with open or nearly-open exhausts on their ATVs and side-by-sides is probably a lot louder than it used to be when it was Jeeps and trucks with full street exhausts.

How much public (tax) money is utilized to maintain, sign and patrol this trail? If it becomes closed to public motorized use, then the corresponding spending cut should also be made. If the tour companies want it...they can pay for their own access.
    I wear sun visors and drink Budweisers.

Bump

Scott

Final bump. Today's the day, do or die.....

Scott

Emailed. Thank you for bringing this to our attention

Soldiers Pass Motorized Use Project

Just received an email about this from the USDA Forest Service. Looks like they have officially closed Soldiers Pass to everybody except Red Rock Western Jeep Tours, the Forest Service, and emergency responders.....................................Hmm mmmmm

Read Here
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by OTR-93YJ View Post
    But, yea, when it comes to those types of headlights, round is best!

Welp.

Re: Soldiers Pass Motorized Use Project

I wonder who got paid. I don't understand why only one jeep tour company would be allowed to utilize this trail.
    2004 LJ, I6, BFG KM2 33s, 3" Teraflex lift, d30/d44, Locked/LSD, 4.56, 8K winch, Rancho rs9000x. - Joe -

Blog Entries

Re: Soldiers Pass Motorized Use Project

Quote Originally Posted by jhart View Post
    I wonder who got paid. I don't understand why only one jeep tour company would be allowed to utilize this trail.
    I was wondering the same thing Joe.
    79 cj7, rebuilt 304, YJ family "cage" , wide track axles, Moser 1 pc. rear, lockrites F/R, TF999/D300 with custom floor shifter, twin sticked, 33x12.5x15 Falken Wild Peaks

Blog Entries

Yes, bummer, I just read this email. Looks like the jeep tours have a private trail now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information