Thread: Gearing Upgrade

Gearing Upgrade

I have a 1974 CJ-5 with 3.73 gears, Dana 30 (LockRite Locker) up front and Dana 44 (Power Trax No Slip Locker) in the rear.

I want to go to either 4.56 or 4.88 gears (any thoughts or comments on that would be appreciated) but I do not want to have to buy new lockers. Someone told me that you can get "Thick Gears", or something like that, so you can use the stock carriers that came with the 3.73 gearing. Does anyone know about that, the pros and cons and where you can get them?

It has the stock 3 speed transmission and the transfer case is stock with the Tera Low gears.

Thanks,
    NV Bob

Re: Gearing Upgrade

Will need to know tire size. Also where and how you will be useing it before any one can recommend anything

Talk to Simon at 4Wheelers Supply 602-273-7195
    Thick gears are used on JKs ( same carrier fow "slow" ratio, ) different bolts
    Simon / Joe would know
    Quote Originally Posted by amber.hodge View Post
    Steve is so innocent. Its really cute, actually. Ah to be a kid again....
    "anyone who says they know everything about anything is either a fool or a liar"

Thanks for the quick responses!

Tire size is 33". Some road travel, but very limited and in the old CJ, don't need to go 70! What I think I am looking for is that good "crawl ratio", I have more than enough power with the AMC 360 so that is not an issue. I do drive it to/from the trails, but it is not a daily driver.

I am located up in western Nevada but I wish I was closer to 4 Wheeler's Supply - when I did live in Phoenix, they were GREAT!

Thanks again.....

Thumbs up Re: Gearing Upgrade

I would go with 4.10's with the torque of the 360 and only 33's. Whatever ratio you pick you will not need to change carriers. On the front the ratio break is 3.54 dn and 3.73 up. On the rear get TJ rubicon gears. Purchase a couple of mater bearing kits and have them set up by a professional gear guy. I can ship them to you if needed. Just buzz me at 602 273 7195. Thanks Simon
    4 Wheelers Supply, I'm Back In Retirement!

Hi Simon!

Boy, I sure do miss being able to stop by 4 Wheeler's Supply and get the right answers! Anyway, thanks for the info! Can you give me a ball-park cost on what I would need to do both ends, including new bearings, seals, gaskets etc? I am leaning towards the 4.56s as when I do replace the tires I will probably go up to 35s.....but that is a ways off. And yes, "A man has to know his limitations!" and I know there is no way that I could set up the gears properly.......but I also know that around here it is hard to find qualified persons, but the club I belong to up here (the Sierra Stompers) might have some "Old Sage" that might be able to help! And, since I do have to order the parts, I just want to make sure that I have the right parts and all the parts I need.
    This might be a winter's project, but any help you can offer is appreciated!
    Thanks,
    Bob

Aprox $600
    4 Wheelers Supply, I'm Back In Retirement!

OK, thanks! When I get ready to pull the trigger, I will definitely give you a call and we can make sure I do it right!

Thanks again,
    Bob

If you are changing ratios, might be good time to consider wide track axles( or at least front and do spacers for rear).

Fwiw, my CJ 7 has 3.73s, 35s and 4bbl 360 w/tf999 automatic. On street / highway is awsome. Off road I wish I had lower ( you have tera low so should be fine ). Jeep used to have T150 you have, 3.55s and 33s.

I agree with Simon- because of tera low, 4.10 should be plenty low.

Best - buy my CJ7 and put your tcase in it and have fun

Not too worried about the highway - we are pretty lucky up here, there are many, many trails within a 30 to 60 minute drive. Desert for the winter and mountains for the summer. Although this year, winter doesn't want to let go! Just got a ton of snow up in the Sierra this afternoon.

My CJ has the T-15 trans and the Dana 20 Transfer case as I had both rebuilt back in the 90's and the current gearing is definitely 3.73 with 33" tires. It would be nice to have an automatic, but I try very hard to keep it as stock as possible using all Jeep parts whenever possible. Trying to stay away from adapters and major parts that were not available for the 74 CJ-5. I just rewired it with a Painless Harness this last winter and while I had the dash apart I did "upgrade" the clutch linkage to hydraulic and so far that is one of my best additions. Oh, I did change the single lever to twin sticks on the transfer case....another good addition.

Anyway, thanks for the offer on the CJ-7 but I already have 2 Jeeps (2010 Grand Cherokee) and a 4 wheel drive Toyota Pick-up (1994) so the garage is full!

Thread Information