Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Military style soft top for LJ coming (TJ will follow)

Re: Military style soft top for LJ coming (TJ will follow)

Cool man. Glad you are getting traction on these. I am interested. So it comes with the frame?
    Long arm/37"/beedlocks/Mas grande arb Dana 44 rear/grande 44 front/ superjoints/WJ knuckle conversion/harness/cage/seats/winch/5.13/armor/skids/
    Parts/hydro/5-1/takes a beating that's for sure but still needs more crap

Quote Originally Posted by jeepdude775 View Post
    Cool man. Glad you are getting traction on these. I am interested. So it comes with the frame?
    Thanks bud,
    yes, it comes with the frame which is actually 17 pieces including the tailgate bar brackets. It all comes apart and fits on a box for shipping. To give you an idea of how rugged the frame is, it weighs about 90 lbs. The top itself weighs slmost 30lbs from all the material.
    Soft top info: www.americanconvoy.com

Nice top...the sail cloth is a great idea. Reminds me of the camper top for my boat years back. By chance do the windows have screens in them...if not have you thought about that? Screens would be nice to let the air in and bugs out.

Very nice top, however I have to say that it is not "new" / "unique"- with exception of additional / higher bows ( our new tops are even taller), is near identical to tops we have run on our (tour) Scramblers ( now stretched YJs) for years. With heavier (than factory) marine cloth, the tops withstnd daily (often twice a day, 7 days a week) being dragged through trees and brush. Windows being replaved every 3-4 years, we have "curtains" to protect windows when rolled up.

Although $2000 price seems a little high ( we pay arround $1200-$1400), with the extra bows I don't think is as unreasonable as people make out. Pics soon.

http://www.arizonaterritorialadventures.com/
    Last edited by OlneyJeeps; 03-13-2016 at 08:42 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by amber.hodge View Post
    Steve is so innocent. Its really cute, actually. Ah to be a kid again....
    "anyone who says they know everything about anything is either a fool or a liar"

"anyone who says they know everything about anything is either a fool or a liar"

Quote Originally Posted by Hemrides View Post
    Nice top...the sail cloth is a great idea. Reminds me of the camper top for my boat years back. By chance do the windows have screens in them...if not have you thought about that? Screens would be nice to let the air in and bugs out.
    Thanks! Another person I ran into suggested it a while back and I have thought about it, however that would certainly raise the price so for now I am just sticking with the original design since we are a startup with limited funds. If the product does well, we will certainly entertain those options in the future. Thanks for posting.

Quote Originally Posted by OlneyJeeps View Post
    Very nice top, however I have to say that it is not "new" / "unique"- with exception of additional / higher bows ( our new tops are even taller), is near identical to tops we have run on our (tour) Scramblers ( now stretched YJs) for years. With heavier (than factory) marine cloth, the tops withstnd daily (often twice a day, 7 days a week) being dragged through trees and brush. Windows being replaved every 3-4 years, we have "curtains" to protect windows when rolled up.

Although $2000 price seems a little high ( we pay arround $1200-$1400), with the extra bows I don't think is as unreasonable as people make out. Pics soon.

Nice website. My friends are coming out soon and want to take a historical Jeep trip so I will shoot them your info.

I haven't seen any tops for a Jeep that are similar. Do you have a picture of your new tops and are they commercially available? The top on your website doesn't look much like it except the the sides roll up. I would certainly be interested to take a look. I did research tops on old Nissan Patrols, FJ40s, Rovers and CJ3s when I was designing these so there should be a noticeable kinship there as far the overall look goes but the way the hardware attaches and much of the soft top design is completely different/innovative from any of those in many ways.

As far as the price goes, I have only received one piece of negative feedback saying it would be too expensive for a trail rig. Most of the folks that have signed up on my list and have followed my journey on JF over the last few years think the price is fair since they understand the value of the product. Is it right for everyone? Probably not. We are not trying to put Bestop out of business, rather we just want to offer another option that is both more ruggedized and higher end.

Thanks for the comment.
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Squint View Post
    Nice website. My friends are coming out soon and want to take a historical Jeep trip so I will shoot them your info.

I haven't seen any tops for a Jeep that are similar. Do you have a picture of your new tops and are they commercially available? The top on your website doesn't look much like it except the the sides roll up. I would certainly be interested to take a look. I did research tops on old Nissan Patrols, FJ40s, Rovers and CJ3s when I was designing these so there should be a noticeable kinship there as far the overall look goes but the way the hardware attaches and much of the soft top design is completely different/innovative from any of those in many ways.

As far as the price goes, I have only received one piece of negative feedback saying it would be too expensive for a trail rig. Most of the folks that have signed up on my list and have followed my journey on JF over the last few years think the price is fair since they understand the value of the product. Is it right for everyone? Probably not. We are not trying to put Bestop out of business, rather we just want to offer another option that is both more ruggedized and higher end.

Thanks for the comment.
    Greg
    I actually drive for / am mechanic for http://www.wildwestjeeptours.com/ , I just posted Walker's ( guide for WWJT, who started his own business while still driving for WWJT ) because no pics f new Jeeps on WWJT site (owners are great, but very old school / anti technology, don't get me started). Tops are custom made (Apache Awning) for each Jeep. I am curious about your material.

To promote window life, I HIGHLY recommend curtains (attach w/ velcro to interior before roll up). Virtually every company in business (I have driven for 4 ) uses them.

Newer Wramblers are intrgrating Scrambler half cab, 3rd door (which now has rounded corners).

I want to do full rigid (aluminum or modified full top?) top with soft sides. Best boss, but took 11 yrs to get half cab, 4 yrs to get 3rd door which is closer but still not to my specs, 3 years / I did first on my time (spec was paid for when adopted design).

I can't see how screen windows could be more than $200 (shade screen material)?

Because window is first to go, replaceable panels (we pay abt $100 ea for sewn in ones) would be great.

Would think interchangeable shadescreen top would be huge seller option.

I think too mucj

Is this one of them? I snapped this pic a whie back. I stopped to examine it more closely since it was parked at Ted's hot dogs down the street from me. It looks like those tops lay on the roll bars, which is a very different set up form mine. They also have no rear quarter panels and are a much simpler design in all aspects. I do love the old Scramblers and CJ6's which is the whole reason I bought an LJ to start with.

As for windows, we use the highest quality material we could find, but as you mentioned they are still vulnerable to scratching on the trail. I wouldn't recommend running trails with lots of brush with the windows on at all and that is why all the sides zip off quickly and easily but I know in your business, you probably need to keep the windows up or down based on the clients, weather etc and I can repect that. They don't scratch much from rolling them up though. On some of the earlier tops we did, we use less expensive glass material and they really scratched up. Our top is already being manufactured so I don't anticipate any changes or additions for now. Once we sell through our first run, we might look at screen to replace windows or other options.
    Last edited by Squint; 03-13-2016 at 05:10 PM.

That is one of Flint's (fotgot name of hi company, he has 3 Jeeps). Because dust / dirt on windows will scratch the window whenrolled up (been diong for 25+ years), the curtains are a necesity.

Newer Jeeps / tops have additional bows (which do brace off bars).
    With weather like now, shade screen top panel would be awsome ( I had done for my JKU, loved it

you work in tempe off beck? pretty sure i saw that LJ parked at an office there. Caught my eye as strange since it looked like a jeep but had the top of an old Defender.

Quote Originally Posted by ShmUDE View Post
    Caught my eye as strange since it looked like a jeep but had the top of an old Defender.
    Good call, Ty. That roof line is very similar to a D90.
    yah, Huck you newbie, Rubicon drivin', mall Cruisin', bling-bling, bolt-on, got no drivin skillz, drove thru a AutoZone with a crap magnet attached, H2 wannabe, poseur! Pay attention!
    If you would pry your sorry arse out the Scottsdale Fashion Square once in a while you would know more about the BLM and the USFS (you do know those acronyms, right?).

You need to see one in person. It's a work of art.
    Quote Originally Posted by OlneyJeeps View Post

Long arm/37"/beedlocks/Mas grande arb Dana 44 rear/grande 44 front/ superjoints/WJ knuckle conversion/harness/cage/seats/winch/5.13/armor/skids/
    Parts/hydro/5-1/takes a beating that's for sure but still needs more crap

Quote Originally Posted by ShmUDE View Post
    you work in tempe off beck? pretty sure i saw that LJ parked at an office there. Caught my eye as strange since it looked like a jeep but had the top of an old Defender.
    Yep, that's me. It definitely has a similar shape and design to defender tops, FJ40s, Nissan Patrols, and yes, old Jeep tops. Most of the old military vehicles had a similar bowed design so I wanted stay within that tradition.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information