Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Carb replacement - Stock (Carter?) vs Motorcraft 2150

Re: Carb replacement - Stock (Carter?) vs Motorcraft 2150

Quote Originally Posted by crawlin'n4L View Post
    Have you taken yours through emissions or are you in a lucky part of the state where it isn't required?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    His is on a 304,aV8, acts ,uch different than a 258 6cyl
    Quote Originally Posted by amber.hodge View Post
    Steve is so innocent. Its really cute, actually. Ah to be a kid again....
    "anyone who says they know everything about anything is either a fool or a liar"

Guess it would be

I purchased the 2150 from the eBay guy, years ago. Have had great luck with it ever since. I ran it thru emissions twice and didn't have an issue. I don't have to do emissions anymore though. I have people all the time comment "I can't believe your rig has a carb on it". I will say that it doesn't mind straight up and down, but on its side, it dies pretty quickly. All that being said, I'm at the stage where as soon as I do my V-8 swap, my carb days will be over.

Runs great on stuff like this :

Dies fast like this :

Thanks for the input! Glad to hear it works well. Do you have a working EGR or smog system in place?

When I last did emissions, all the parts were there, but not many were functional. They took awhile to inspect, but I passed. I have a classic policy now , so no testing is needed.

Why is it not passing emissions??
    Jeff

Drink More Water

Don't have the failing paperwork, all I remember is that the mechanic had to adjust the carb before taking it to the testing place and getting it to pass himself.

Don't have the failing paperwork, all I remember is that the mechanic had to adjust the carb before taking it to the testing place and getting it to pass himself.

Do they roller you or are you 'idle only'. (If you have a full time four wheel drive like a quadra trac they will not run you on the rollers).

They do a visual inspection to make sure things are connected and that the hoses are not cracked. They don't check for functionality.

For an '83 you probably are tested for co2 and hydrocarbons but not Nox.
    82 Cherokee WT SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau Moab Seats/RCI 6point Harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/custom bumpers and roll bar/WARN 8000/steering brace/CO2 Tank/CB/dual batts/custom TC skid plate

I'm not sure, I haven't gone to the emissions place with my brother in law. Good to know they don't check for functionality ... Who knows if 30 + year old emission components still work lol!

Not always the carb, but it would be nice to know the numbers from the emissions test. Never know on a old carb what was messed with? How is the motor's condition, or the emissions equipment. The emissions equipment really does not hurt the performance of a properly running motor if is hooked up correctly and the parts are working right.

Thanks for the input! Glad to hear it works well. Do you have a working EGR or smog system in place?

every thing is there EGR air pump canister its an older one i had to drill and tap for a bowl vent no biggy if its not hooked up it wont pass

Quote Originally Posted by wiley-moeracing View Post
    Not always the carb, but it would be nice to know the numbers from the emissions test. Never know on a old carb what was messed with? How is the motor's condition, or the emissions equipment. The emissions equipment really does not hurt the performance of a properly running motor if is hooked up correctly and the parts are working right.
    I'll post up numbers if we get a failing test after the trans is fixed. The motor runs well other than some rough idling. Around 12 mpg so I have to believe something could be improved. Everything is hooked up currently because it has been able to pass emissions with the right carb tweaks.

Just for giggles, have your ignition module checked at asutozone / oreally's.... motocraft is multi stage and commly fails mid range.... will emulate bad carb. I run dual, woth "new" one being backup that IS can change to easily.

Other common fail I have seen is vac advance on distributor- people remove check valve, allowing fuel vapor to destroy diaphragm. Apply vacum (suck on hose), see if holds or leaks.
    "anyone who says they know everything about anything is either a fool or a liar"

Quote Originally Posted by Will E View Post
    Do they roller you or are you 'idle only'. (If you have a full time four wheel drive like a quadra trac they will not run you on the rollers).

They do a visual inspection to make sure things are connected and that the hoses are not cracked. They don't check for functionality.

For an '83 you probably are tested for co2 and hydrocarbons but not Nox.
    They do test for NOx (I took 8 Scramblers through each year)

We swapped carbs with a 2150 via the ebay kit, a fairly simple job once the vacuum lines are sorted. It is back on the road as of last Christmas. It's great to have it running again!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information