Thread: i'm thinking about selling my electra glide. need opinions on a fair price

i'm thinking about selling my electra glide. need opinions on a fair price

my 02 electra glide is approaching 70k miles and it's having a lot of problems. i've had it for probably 7 or 8 years and ridden it daily year round. it's pretty much been my work truck and has probably paid for itself in what i would have spent on gas driving my truck or one of the jeeps. i've gotten my moneys worth out of it without having to put too much in.

a little while back i started hearing some noise in the top end. i'm assuming it's the cam chain tensioners because that is a common problem with the twin cam 88. so i've been told anyway. i've been quoted anywhere between $500 and $1000 to fix that. now it just sprang a big oil leak and one of the rear foot boards broke. i'm going to sell the bike either way. i'm close to getting my cj done and now my wife wants to get a car since she has to drive over 50 miles a day for her new job. i think she's tired of the silverado. i just have too many rigs and need to consolidate. besides, driving a jeep won't be that bad. i'm sure i'll get another bike later.

what i have to decide is whether get it fixed and try to get market value or just dump it for whatever i can get. fixing it myself is just not an option. i have too much other stuff that needs attention. i'm leaning toward selling it cheap but i don't want to give it away. with the miles and the age/condition i think i could get between $5 - $7k based on what i see people trying to get on CL. it will probably cost $1000 to get it in shape to sell it for that much though. i'm trying to figure out a fair price to just unload it. i don't want to screw anybody over but i do want to get as much as i can.

i'm thinking around $2500. somebody can put $1000 or so into it and have a bike worth $5-6k for $3500. do you guys think that's too much, too little, or just right? should i put the $1000 into it and get more when i sell it at the cost of dealing with the shop and picking up, dropping off, service writers telling me 600 other things are wrong that need to be fixed, getting charged more than the quote, and then craigslist tire kickers thinking a 13 year old bike should be like brand new. the older i get, the less i like dealing with stuff like that. i'll post pics in the next post from my phone.
    the early bird gets the worm........but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Re: i'm thinking about selling my electra glide. need opinions on a fair price

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

I would not get it fixed. You will spend a ton of money and not ever get that $ back as you'll spend more money than the price difference between what it is worth fixed and not fixed.

Quite a few of the Harley guys I've known like to fix bikes themselves (had a neighbor in maricopa that had 3 of them, just so he could have one to ride while he was working on the other two.) so I would list it for $4,000, but be willing to to take less. Mention that it needs some work and has a slight oil leak, hence the low price. You'll probably have somebody offering $3000 pretty quick, who has the know how and ability to fix it themselves. Maybe even see if some local MC's have a place to post classifieds?

From the pics it looks real clean, with the seats/paint/etc, so a few mechanical issues shouldn't scare anybody away.

thanks for the input. i'm almost 99% sure i'm not going to fix the engine problem. i really hope somebody that wants a harley and has mechanical skills that wouldn't be able to afford one otherwise will find it when i put it on the market. normally when you see any cheap harley on craigslist or anywhere else its a total pile of crap or an 883 sporty with a ripped seat and bad paint. mine is at least a decent looking bike. it just has high miles.

This quote from another thread should help you...

Quote Originally Posted by Chili View Post
    It's worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it.

"Lophat is not going anywhere, it's a reference. This forum would fold up and die if he left. LOL!" -- OTR-93YJ

"if they are like LoPhat, then their heads are stuck so far up their rear they have re-emerged as a head." -- From_Catherine

"Lo-Phat.. Don't wash the XJ. You don't want someone to confuse it as a mall crawler.." -- Will E

lol. I read that thread last night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

P.M. sent
    I used to worry about rich and skinny
    til I wound up poor and fat
    KE7VKY

Thread Information