Thread: licensing & emissions testing - 85 CJ7 with chevy efi motor swap

licensing & emissions testing - 85 CJ7 with chevy efi motor swap

Hey all...

I have an 85 CJ7 that I started 'building' about 10 years ago. Getting married and a new job got in the way of the project and it was put on hold until recently.

This CJ was my daily driver back in the day but I let the registration lapse while it went under the knife. My concern now is getting it registered and through emissions. I swapped in a fuel injected 350 and even though all emissions equipment is in place and functioning.... I'd like to avoid the emissions inspection process if at possible.

Does anyone have any info to share in regards to registering a historic vehicle or one that has a motor swap in Maricopa County?

Re: licensing & emissions testing - 85 CJ7 with chevy efi motor swap

if everything is good and in place and working you should have no problem going through emissions. the motor needs to be out of a 1985 or newer vehicle and have all the related emission equipment from it and functioning. the other options are to register it out of town but the sticker on the plate will show it is not from phoenix area so if you get pulled over by a cop and the registration shows Prescott and you drivers license shows Glendale you will get a ticket most likely. you could also go with historic plates but will have to get special insurance and will be limited to only so many miles per year(1000-4000)

Hope for an Emissions Station that will be nice to you.

This past summer someone posted about their challenges in licensing a 4x4 with a motor swap. Finally got it resolved though.

I believe I can meet the collectible criteria from the ADEQ...

"An exemption from emissions testing is available for vehicles designated as "collectible". ARS 49-542(J)(2)(k) became effective in 2007 and applies to the following collectible vehicles:

A vehicle that is at least 15 years old or is rare, unique, limited production and an object of curiosity. And is BOTH:
    • Maintained primarily for use in car club activities, exhibitions, parades or other public functions, kept in a private collection and used infrequently;
    • AND, has a collectible or classic automobile insurance coverage that restricts the collectible vehicle mileage or use, or both, and requires the owner to have another vehicle for personal use.

Has anyone gone this route and care to share any tips or roadblocks to avoid?

I'm not looking to game the emissions system but rather utilize what the system has to offer.

Quote Originally Posted by LarryM View Post
    I believe I can meet the collectible criteria from the ADEQ...

"An exemption from emissions testing is available for vehicles designated as "collectible". ARS 49-542(J)(2)(k) became effective in 2007 and applies to the following collectible vehicles:

A vehicle that is at least 15 years old or is rare, unique, limited production and an object of curiosity. And is BOTH:
    • Maintained primarily for use in car club activities, exhibitions, parades or other public functions, kept in a private collection and used infrequently;
    • AND, has a collectible or classic automobile insurance coverage that restricts the collectible vehicle mileage or use, or both, and requires the owner to have another vehicle for personal use.

Has anyone gone this route and care to share any tips or roadblocks to avoid?

I'm not looking to game the emissions system but rather utilize what the system has to offer.
    How do you plan to use your CJ7? Most collector and classic insurance policies will not cover anything the moment your vehicle leaves the pavement. It is a huge risk if you plan to go off-road in your Jeep -- not only that your Jeep will not be covered if you wreck it, but also that you will not have liability coverage if you wreck with someone else (think about idiotic RZR owners racing around blind corners, for example). If your CJ7 is worth a lot and/or you have other material wealth in your life, the risk may not be worth it.

"Lophat is not going anywhere, it's a reference. This forum would fold up and die if he left. LOL!" -- OTR-93YJ

"if they are like LoPhat, then their heads are stuck so far up their rear they have re-emerged as a head." -- From_Catherine

"Lo-Phat.. Don't wash the XJ. You don't want someone to confuse it as a mall crawler.." -- Will E

http://www.virtualjeepclub.com/showthread.php?p=909412

Newer vehicle but the subject is the same. I would check this out and go from there to make your decision.

Quote Originally Posted by LO PHAT View Post
    How do you plan to use your CJ7? Most collector and classic insurance policies will not cover anything the moment your vehicle leaves the pavement. It is a huge risk if you plan to go off-road in your Jeep -- not only that your Jeep will not be covered if you wreck it, but also that you will not have liability coverage if you wreck with someone else (think about idiotic RZR owners racing around blind corners, for example). If your CJ7 is worth a lot and/or you have other material wealth in your life, the risk may not be worth it.
    Generally, no (appears someone has listened to "advice" of agent who does not want to write policy, so uses threats / excuses ). As an agent for over 20 years, for multiple companies, I have never seen such an exclusion in an actual policy. The truth (as I have experienced) is that even stricter limitations (no steering/suspension changes, changes in engine size / hp ) exist as underwriting rules / guidelines for the agent. Agents (at risk of losing their agency/business) can and do write bisiness which they TECHNICALLY should not... it is a risk / benifit game. To the best of my knowlege, milage is almost never checked.

Classic plates are NOT a requirement. ADOT merely uses insurance companies (risking great loss for very little income) as "gatekeepers".

Bottom line, no matter what policy you get ( including regular policy and home policy), do NOT listn to your agent(or amyone, including me)..... READ YOUR F'ING POLICY....expecially the "endorsements" .... they (imho) are the most important part.... limitations / clarifications (they / someone sued over misunderstanding)
    Quote Originally Posted by amber.hodge View Post
    Steve is so innocent. Its really cute, actually. Ah to be a kid again....
    "anyone who says they know everything about anything is either a fool or a liar"

Hagerty will probably just decline to cover you if you indicate you plan on offroading at all. I had to pull the hitch off of my C10 to get coverage with them (not that I was using it anymore).

As far as exclusions, they don't strictly ban offroading, but I could definitely see this (copied from my own policy with them) possibly coming into play, emphasis mine:

c. Using “your covered auto” to
    prepare, practice or qualify for, or
    participate in, any of the following
    activities, regardless of where they
    take place:

1. forced hydraulic bouncing
    competitions or exhibitions;
    2. pulling against another vehicle,
    or pulling of a weighted object
    competitions or exhibitions, but
    not including trailer pulling;
    3. stereo thumping competitions or
    exhibitions; or
    4. any other similar competitive or
    exhibition activity that a
    reasonable person could
    foresee may cause injury or
    damage.
    Realistically, if you plan on driving it on a regular basis, a classic policy is not the way you want to try and get around the inspection.

Quote Originally Posted by IOwnCalculus View Post
    Hagerty will probably just decline to cover you if you indicate you plan on offroading at all. I had to pull the hitch off of my C10 to get coverage with them (not that I was using it anymore).

As far as exclusions, they don't strictly ban offroading, but I could definitely see this (copied from my own policy with them) possibly coming into play, emphasis mine:

Realistically, if you plan on driving it on a regular basis, a classic policy is not the way you want to try and get around the inspection.

The key / grey part of that policy is "COMPETITIVE" and "EXHIBITION"
    Where IS would be concerned (relative to us) would be stuff like RTI .
    Going off pavement ( and even most rock crawling ) is not "exhibition" activity. "Locker challenge" would have pushed / probably over the line.

Bottom line again READ YOUR POLICY
    "anyone who says they know everything about anything is either a fool or a liar"

Thanks everyone for the replies... even if they left me a bit discouraged.

I'll call my insurance company on Monday and see what they have to say. I'm no longer holding out much hope for the classic car option.

Just suck it up and take it through emissions. I have an 81 J10, 83 CJ5 and 30 Grand Waggy. All three pass. And not without trouble. But I have learned a lot. I wouldn't tell them about the engine. Never give info unless asked. Just make sure you have a CAT a smog pump and a way to let them put vacuum on your fuel system. I always go to the Glendale station on 115th. ave. and Glendale. Just take it through. The first one is always a mulligan to find out what's wrong. Good luck.
    Jeff

Drink More Water

Quote Originally Posted by Locked & Loaded View Post
    Just suck it up and take it through emissions. I have an 81 J10, 83 CJ5 and 30 Grand Waggy. All three pass. And not without trouble. But I have learned a lot. I wouldn't tell them about the engine. Never give info unless asked. Just make sure you have a CAT a smog pump and a way to let them put vacuum on your fuel system. I always go to the Glendale station on 115th. ave. and Glendale. Just take it through. The first one is always a mulligan to find out what's wrong. Good luck.
    I have taken several through that have later engines ..... when they asked / looked for smog pump, I axplained that had been converted to injection and explained hoe air pump would not allow O2 sensor to function properly (said NOTHING about engine conversion)... "makes sense" coded over-ride "pass"

Make sure good cat, vent/vac to charcoal can all good

Thread Information