Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a solid shop to fix this wheel...

Looking for a solid shop to fix this wheel...

First of all, I have no clue how this happened. I was riding along at 70, HOV lane enjoying my cruise to work when the back wheel locked up completely, half a second later something snapped and it rolled out of the slide and I was able to get it towed off the road. Now for the real problem. Somehow, some way, I snapped all 5 bolts holding the rear sprocket/pulley onto the wheel. Unfortunately, they're snapped off inside the hub spacer and I don't have the means, or skill to pull them. I've called a couple places, each unable to help. I was referred to one shop that wanted $50 a hole, not saying that's not what the price should be, as this isn't an every day job and does require some skill, but I just don't have it. If someone can point me in the right direction for a cheaper fix, or happens to have a spoke 16x3" wheel hanging out in their garage that they don't need, I'd be very grateful...

I know I'm not on here very much, too poor to wheel, but ya'll are always the best for advice so I thought I'd bring this one to the group...
    Name:  20150825_125136.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  561.7 KB
    Name:  20150825_125150.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  528.1 KB
    Name:  20150825_125132.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  1.39 MB
    Name:  20150825_125109.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  551.3 KB
    Total Price of having a badass Jeep: Priceless, some things money can't buy, for everything else your wife will get pissed about…

Re: Looking for a solid shop to fix this wheel...

Hammer and center punch
    Drill bit and easy out
    Penetrant and patience
    No easy way to make this happen but anyone with basic mechanical skills "should" be able to handle it if the metal isn't fused together.

I'm drawn to this type stuff like a moth to a flame. I agree with Ehall but I suggest left hand drill bits and use a drill press or a mill so that the hole you drill is perpendicular. If nobody else chimes in with a shop and you are down to your last option, I'd give it a try. But I'm thinking the wheel may be damaged to the point where nobody is going to be willing to take a chance of being liable. The reason they are pricing it high could be because it looks like a lot of the threads have been destroyed in those holes. There's a good possibility that would have to be welded up and re cut.

Good luck.
    Non-College Educated Working Class White Deplorable....

You might want to figure out why it locked up and broke he bolts before you waste time fixing it.

They had to have been loose. Or maybe over tightened at the last tire change. When was the last time a wrench was put to those bolts?

The surface where the wheel and the pulley mate will have to be surfaced as well.

I'll go ahead and say this as well, you're lucky to be alive! I'm guessing a light weight bike, like a crotch rocket. If you survive a 70MPH rear wheel skid on a bagger you've got nine lives

Are the bearing seized up? Is that what broke the axle shaft? Did you have a shirt or jacket (sounds silly to ask in August) that might have slipped down into the pulley?

Quote Originally Posted by ehall View Post
    Hammer and center punch
    Drill bit and easy out
    Penetrant and patience
    No easy way to make this happen but anyone with basic mechanical skills "should" be able to handle it if the metal isn't fused together.
    That's basically how my dad explained the birds and the bees to me lol

Quote Originally Posted by OTR-93YJ View Post
    I'm drawn to this type stuff like a moth to a flame. I agree with Ehall but I suggest left hand drill bits and use a drill press or a mill so that the hole you drill is perpendicular. If nobody else chimes in with a shop and you are down to your last option, I'd give it a try. But I'm thinking the wheel may be damaged to the point where nobody is going to be willing to take a chance of being liable. The reason they are pricing it high could be because it looks like a lot of the threads have been destroyed in those holes. There's a good possibility that would have to be welded up and re cut.

Good luck.
    That's what I'm thinking, that no one wants that liability, which I don't blame them. I don't have a drill press or mill and it's not something I have the balls to do by hand. I'm taking the wheel down to 2 Guyes Garage in Mesa today, they always come through for me so I'm hoping they have an answer. The threads outside the hole are shot completely. I'm hoping they can at least get the hub or spacer(whatever you call it) off and I can just buy another of those and the wheel will still be good but we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by ehall View Post
    You might want to figure out why it locked up and broke he bolts before you waste time fixing it.
    The only thing I can contemplate is that either A. Something got up in there and jammed everything up, which I doubt. or B. somehow all 5 bolts hit the swing arm and snapped off which is also very hard to believe. The bearings are good, drive pulley is free and clear, everything mechanically operates smoothly. The drive belt turns in gear the way it should. The wheel was rolling smoothly after I removed the rear sprocket and belt. I literally have no clue how something like this would happen. It's rather concerning and I have to figure it out, but step one is getting it back together I'd say.
    Total Price of having a badass Jeep: Priceless, some things money can't buy, for everything else your wife will get pissed about…

What bike? Year and make. I want to look at a microfiche. Where is the axle shaft?

Does it have a swing arm on both sides or just one?

Most shops are going to want to fix it right. The hub may not be as expensive as you think it is. Lacing the wheel is fun. If you go that route I know a guy that would probably be very competitive in pricing. But he's a perfectionist so I know calling him for a "quick fix" isn't going work.
    Last edited by OTR-93YJ; 08-25-2015 at 03:38 PM.

They had to have been loose. Or maybe over tightened at the last tire change. When was the last time a wrench was put to those bolts?

The surface where the wheel and the pulley mate will have to be surfaced as well.

I'll go ahead and say this as well, you're lucky to be alive! I'm guessing a light weight bike, like a crotch rocket. If you survive a 70MPH rear wheel skid on a bagger you've got nine lives

Are the bearing seized up? Is that what broke the axle shaft? Did you have a shirt or jacket (sounds silly to ask in August) that might have slipped down into the pulley?
    yeah, lil 09 Sportster, replaced the tires and brakes at the March/April area, this rode great until about early July, I'm finally not mad at it anymore and figured it's time to get it fixed...

That's just it, the axle is clean and straight, not even a stress mark. Bearings are good, or at least from what I can tell, I can't really get them out without a press. Nothing got down in there, just had my leathers on, I left the baggy clothing in the 90's...

Okay that means swing arm both sides. So the axle nut must have come loose and the axle slid out enough to drop the spacer. That would allow the bolts to hit the swing arm. (harleys rattle and wiggle enough to mask a little axle shake so you wouldn't feel it) There should be damage on the swing arm where the bolts hit it.

Sorry man, I'm sure you'd rather just fix it rather than talk about it.

If you can manage to get one of those broken bolts out and the amount of thread you have left in there is equal to 1.5 times the diameter of the bolt, it might worth trying to save the hub. If not, it's not worth the risk.

What bike? Year and make. I want to look at a microfiche. Where is the axle shaft?

Does it have a swing arm on both sides or just one?

Most shops are going to want to fix it right. The hub may not be as expensive as you think it is. Lacing the wheel is fun. If you go that route I know a guy that would probably be very competitive in pricing. But he's a perfectionist so I know calling him for a "quick fix" isn't going work.
    2009 Harley XL1200N "Nightster" Wishbone swing arm, RH drive...

The reason they are pricing it high could be because it looks like a lot of the threads have been destroyed in those holes. There's a good possibility that would have to be welded up and re cut.

Good luck.
    x2, I wouldn't touch that for any amount of money and if it was my personal bike I would never trust riding on that again.
    I'ma cookin' somethin' up!

I've repaired stuff like that before for donations (usually beer) and I always have them sign something saying that the part is to be used only as a paper weight now and should never be reinstalled. I don't know that would hold up in court or not but so far my repairs have not failed; or at least not that I know of.

Looking for a solid shop to fix this wheel...

If I was looking for a shop to do the repair, I would use and recommend Highway Choppers. They are not cheap and only take cash, but they work miracles with aluminum and steel repairs. What they can do with an aluminum head is nothing short of a miracle.
    That said, they are not cheap and only work for cash. I've trusted them, when it's something above my pay grade.
    yah, Huck you newbie, Rubicon drivin', mall Cruisin', bling-bling, bolt-on, got no drivin skillz, drove thru a AutoZone with a crap magnet attached, H2 wannabe, poseur! Pay attention!
    If you would pry your sorry arse out the Scottsdale Fashion Square once in a while you would know more about the BLM and the USFS (you do know those acronyms, right?).

yeah, the more I look at it, and the more people I talk to, it's looking like I'm going to have to bite the bullet and just buy another wheel. Thanks for the help and chat about it. I'll put Highway Choppers on my list of people to talk to should I decide to go another route, but I'm almost completely sure it's time for a new wheel.

...or just the hub. Might be cheaper. Not sure what lacing a wheel costs nowadys. Used to be 50.00.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information