Thread: So this happened.....

So this happened.....

So I took Senator Highway from Prescott to Crown King today. What a terrible trail. From everything I've read, it seemed like a simple, easy trail and since the jeep had been sitting for a bout a year without any Offroad use, I thought I'd be a good shakedown for driving it after its time off.

Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1436331395705.jpeg
Views: 271
Size:  95.0 KB

(this is after I removed the shock)

Well a shakedown it was. A handful of new ugly sounds arose and something under the passenger front wheel well didn't look right... The shock was compressed and the upper hardware was nowhere to be found!

Seems the wear in the shock indicates it rubber the tire a little but no real damage and the shock seems fine compression wise.

So I'm wondering, where do I get these upper bushings and hardware? Is it a kit? And when I reinstall should I use some threadlocker?

Re: So this happened.....

You can get the grommets from 4 wheel parts or any other similar store for about $1, they might have the nut and washer you need as well. I'm curious, what didn't you like about senator highway?

Several years ago I got all new shock bushings from 4 Wheelers supply on Washington near 36th Street in Phoenix. They may also have the hardware you need.
    Kenneth
    1998 TJ 4.0 MT

I lost a shock mount going to arrowhead mall the other day. It happens.
    Non-College Educated Working Class White Deplorable....

get the conversion kit and run EYE/EYE shocks instead of EYE/STUD shocks
    MPGs? Real trucks go by GPM...

Quote Originally Posted by Co_Page View Post
    You can get the grommets from 4 wheel parts or any other similar store for about $1, they might have the nut and washer you need as well. I'm curious, what didn't you like about senator highway?
    It is a great trail if I had the time. I should've known better than to plan to only take less than 2 hours. Which then turned into over 4 hours. If I had planned on an 8 hour day wheeling (which it eventually was) I probably would've been a little more happy with the trail. Just wasn't prepared

Many years ago I spent all day going up the Senator from bumble Bee through Crown King and on to Prescott. Ended up spending the night in the Prescott area. Of course I drove there from Pinetop, so I didn't exactly get an 'early' start. I stopped a lot and just drove slow taking it all in. Pretty drive.
    Ted - K2AMD
    2006 KJ pretty much stock, but well stocked when I travel!
    Quote Originally Posted by Locked & Loaded View Post
    LOL. I'm one of the dbags.

Quote Originally Posted by teddyearp View Post
    Many years ago I spent all day going up the Senator from bumble Bee through Crown King and on to Prescott. Ended up spending the night in the Prescott area. Of course I drove there from Pinetop, so I didn't exactly get an 'early' start. I stopped a lot and just drove slow taking it all in. Pretty drive.
    It is in fact a beautiful drive. Countless amazing views

Sidenote: Does anybody know of a master rubber bushing rebuild kit? Not poly

Also, I have Rancho 9000s and the guy at Oreilly said that it's bad if the shock didn't push itself back out from the compressed position and I was like ????? I don't think so but thanks for the heads up. Am I mistaken or is the shock supposed to return to a mid-travel position?
    Last edited by Madmike9494; 07-08-2015 at 03:59 PM.

So this happened.....

Quote Originally Posted by Madmike9494 View Post
    Also, I have Rancho 9000s and the guy at Oreilly said that it's bad if the shock didn't push itself back out from the compressed position and I was like ????? I don't think so but thanks for the heads up. Am I mistaken or is the shock supposed to return to a mid-travel position?
    Depends on the year of shock you have. The old white ones are static. They dampen and remain in the position you left them at. The newer, grey-bodied RS9000's, have a bigger piston and always push out to full extension. So, depending on what 9000's you have, the orielly guy could be correct. Neither shock is a return to mid-travel position, shock. It should either sit where you left it (white body) or push out to full extension (grey body). HTH

I ran a pair of each on my rig. I was surprised when replacing the rear 9000's. The new grey ones, immediately extended, once the band was cut.
    Last edited by Huck; 07-08-2015 at 04:22 PM.
    yah, Huck you newbie, Rubicon drivin', mall Cruisin', bling-bling, bolt-on, got no drivin skillz, drove thru a AutoZone with a crap magnet attached, H2 wannabe, poseur! Pay attention!
    If you would pry your sorry arse out the Scottsdale Fashion Square once in a while you would know more about the BLM and the USFS (you do know those acronyms, right?).

Quote Originally Posted by Huck View Post
    I ran a pair of each on my rig. I was surprised when replacing the rear 9000's. The new grey ones, immediately extended, once the band was cut.
    They are the white ones. Thanks for the info. How do the grey bodies feel? Much of a difference?

So this happened.....

They work the same for me. Just makes the install is a little different, since you have to work with a shock that is wanting to expand. The grey ones are also bigger. They are wider and have a larger shaft. (Yep, that's what I typed) They appeared to be a much stronger shock, when compared to the white RS9000's.
    yah, Huck you newbie, Rubicon drivin', mall Cruisin', bling-bling, bolt-on, got no drivin skillz, drove thru a AutoZone with a crap magnet attached, H2 wannabe, poseur! Pay attention!
    If you would pry your sorry arse out the Scottsdale Fashion Square once in a while you would know more about the BLM and the USFS (you do know those acronyms, right?).

Thread Information