Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how would you value an old mid 70's truck?

Blog Entries

how would you value an old mid 70's truck?

So I know an older gentleman, he has a couple of old ford f100's mid 70's I think. one is a 4x4, the other a 2wd. neither has run in at least 15, probably 20 years, and from what he has said about them they were running when parked, but would probably need work since they've been sitting, not sure on the engine in them. he has shown passive interest in selling them to somebody he knows, but not real serious about it.

I had a 1970 my grandpa gave my brother and I, I rebuilt the engine, brakes, and other mechanical things, and my brother did all the body work, upholstery, and painted it baby blue, it was actually the truck I took my wife on our first date in. My dad sold it a few years ago, but I actually still see it driving around town now and then (easy to spot, its a long bed with a slightly bent bumper). But it makes me think I may pick one of these up. Even if I park it for a few years before I actually get around to restoring it, I would like to have it.

But how do I determine would be a good price to pay for one? There is no KBB, and most of the prices I see online are for restored, or at least running trucks, which is obviously worth more money... does anybody have experience buying classic vehicles?

how would you value an old mid 70's truck?

If they haven't been running in 15 -20 years then they will need a full restoration on the drivetrain, electrical, fuel system, tires etc. Sounds like you'd be offering money towards shaped pieces of steel , degraded fabric and dry plastic trim. Since this isn't really a sought after model of historical significance. You should just sell him on the idea of giving one of them too you. Or offer a couple hounded bucks to take one off his hands.

Uniquely crafted from my fat fingers.
    Craigslisticon

Blog Entries

Re: how would you value an old mid 70's truck?

That's what I thought. he mentioned a few weeks ago that he may want $2k for them, but that's way way way too much.... it would cost me over $100 to flat tow it I'm sure (since I doubt the brakes work) he mentioned it again to me tonight, but didn't name a price, he's been watching what I've been doing with the jeep, and likes it... I need to see if he'll let me come take a look at them, see what condition they are really in.

So you got the parking on the side of the house worked out *jab* *jab*

Would be a nice truck, but why not look a few years older yet and avoid emissions all together? or was there something for half or 3/4 ton trucks prior to 70 or 72.... cant remember exactly.
    93' 2.5L YJ 8.8 4.88 33's E-Locker & LSD

WTB- co2 handle/valve guard for 5# tank.

Blog Entries

as far as the parking, It actually worked out pretty good. I laid 700+ bricks, and the jeep is parked there now. I talked to my brother who is an architect, and has had to deal with permit stuff, and he said I'm probably good without a permit, but if they come back and say I have to have one, or take it out, I can easily take the bricks out and just stack them.

The reason why I would buy this year of truck is all nostalgia. I had one I rebuilt with my brother, it what I learned to drive on (3 on the tree!), its what I took my wife out in on our first date, so its kinda important to me. I have not been out looking for one, this gentleman that I know has mentioned his trucks in passing as he's seen me work on my jeep, and how he would like to sell them to somebody who would restore them.

I actually spotted my old truck about 18 months ago, in the walmart in maricopa parking lot, it had been about 4 years since we had sold it:

Obviously some of the value depends upon the truck itself.
    4x4 tend to be worth more than 2wd
    short beds worth a lot more than long beds/extra cabs
    any rust drives value way down.
    6 cylinder worth less than V8
    -Vinny

hard question to tell over the internet. Its going to be worth what ever the old man wants. Sometimes thats free, sometimes its worth more then the truck is.

At the end of the day, is not really your call. Offer what you think they are worth and hope he doesn't laugh in your face.

If it's got TONS and he knows it... well the axles themselves are worth $$

If you know the guy and you really want the truck(s) Establish two prices; one if they will start and drive with fresh fuel and one if they will not.

I'd offer 500 for the 4x4 if it doesn't start and build a crawler out of it. I've actually been looking for one myself.
    Non-College Educated Working Class White Deplorable....

Blog Entries

I doubt it has tons, we'll see, if they are short beds, I almost want them both! one to hot rod, since you can put a crown vic front end on it super easy, and a mustang V8 plops right in with no issues. Lower it a bit, put it on 20's and smoke tires every where you go, and then the 4x4 to turn into a rock crawler...

I'll see him next wednesday, and I'll ask him if I can even come look at them, and take some pictures. He told me what condition they are in, but who knows how correct that is. He's _very_ wealthy, but lives very conservative, and doesn't look at at his stuff, and probably hasn't looked at this in a few years since they are not at his home, but on another property he owns.

the 2wd would look awesome like this:
    Attachment 64347

and the 4x4:

See if its a High boy, Buy it
    Last edited by Geeepin; 05-28-2015 at 02:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by geeepin View Post
    see if its a high boy, buy it
    x2!!
    Non-College Educated Working Class White Deplorable....

id rather have the 2wd one.

You don't need a permit from the city to lay pavers. If you have an HOA, who knows?
    "if they are like LoPhat, then their heads are stuck so far up their rear they have re-emerged as a head."

Blog Entries

Much discussed in another thread, but no HOA.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information