Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Expedition Trailer Build

Re: Expedition Trailer Build

That looks awesome.

This is from the 6th to 8th of April; last week.

Tent bolted on and a folding table clamped down on top of the box under the tent.
    Name:  15 04 08 Exped Trlr (1).JPG
Views: 331
Size:  114.6 KB

Kilby Max trailer coupler.
    Name:  15 04 08 Exped Trlr (4).JPG
Views: 322
Size:  80.0 KB

Trimmed out front.
    Name:  15 04 08 Exped Trlr (5).JPG
Views: 316
Size:  86.4 KB

Rear trim installed and license plate hung (temporary attachment devices, i.e., zip ties)
    Name:  15 04 08 Exped Trlr (10).JPG
Views: 317
Size:  106.5 KB

Another view of the rear trim and the tailgate latch.
    Name:  15 04 08 Exped Trlr (11).JPG
Views: 323
Size:  110.0 KB

Another view of the folding table.
    Name:  15 04 08 Exped Trlr (6).JPG
Views: 315
Size:  88.2 KB

Loaded and ready to go week ago Thursday (April 9th) about noon.
    Name:  15 04 09 Exped Trlr (3).JPG
Views: 318
Size:  105.1 KB

2nd night sleeping in it. This is on BLM area just outside Park boundary for Canyonlands. 1st night was in a RV park in Bluff. That was as far as we got Thursday night after the doctor appointments that morning and the somewhat later than anticipated departure. It was dark and late and we decided not to spend time and energy exploring for a camp site in an area that we didn't know.

Works very well and nice and comfortable to sleep in, even down to 31 degrees on Thursday and around 33 or 34 on Friday.
    Name:  15 04 10 Exped Trlr (3) - Copy.JPG
Views: 316
Size:  106.9 KB

The last night on the trail (Monday) for this trip found us between Bullfrog Basin and Boulder Utah on the Burr trail. We found this very isolated and beautiful spot. Next morning we discovered that we were right on the boundary line for Capitol Reef National Park at the edge of the 400' deep canyon that is the park boundary.
    Name:  2015 04 14 Capitol Reef (31).JPG
Views: 318
Size:  87.5 KB

Switch backs over the Reef.
    Name:  2015 04 14 Capitol Reef (93).jpg
Views: 329
Size:  1.34 MB

Pretty happy with everything and how it works. Put 1,600 miles on in six days. About 50 on dirt roads and another 30 on 4wd trails. Slept in it 4 nights, down to 31 degrees. No dust inside the box. No dust inside the tent cover. Nothing scrambled, broken or out of place with the items inside the box. Still a few minor things to take care of; license plate holder, side marker lights, build and install table tops for folding leaves on tail gate, minor modification to the end racks to allow the end tent windows to open completely.
    One last shot, taken from the same location as the previous photo of the switchbacks.
    Name:  2015 04 14 Capitol Reef (92).jpg
Views: 327
Size:  1.03 MB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Tortured Metal; 04-18-2015 at 11:40 AM. Reason: tried to remove last photo w/o success
    Burn it and beat on it

Thats a good looking trailer Real professional I could see those selling at a store

Great looking trailer build ! ! ! Wish you many, many happy miles with that.

Would you like to build another one ? ? ?
    2013, JKUR, DOZER (MAC & CHEEZE), MANY UPGRADES, 35's, 31/2 Lift,

Quote Originally Posted by Rhino View Post
    Great looking trailer build ! ! ! Wish you many, many happy miles with that.

Would you like to build another one ? ? ?
    Thank you. No Steve, once is enough. BCT would be happy to build one for you, probably for not much more than what I have in materials for this one.
    Burn it and beat on it

Quote Originally Posted by Tortured Metal View Post
    I have the capability to build my own, but as a good friend pointed out, "I probably have more money left than Saturdays." ]
    I will have to remember that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nice job! Thanks for sharing

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is awesome. Very nicely done.

I am just about to start mine. My rims just arrived last wee, so I can run the same 40's on it that I run on my JKU, including beadlocks. Then I can have spares. I also am doing the Timbren's that you did. I have not decided on whether I am going to run electric brakes, but I probably should. This will be a fall project for me.
    07 JKU, Teraflex Dana 60 Front/ 14 Bolt Rear, ARBs, 40" MT/R-Ks, Antirock, Teraflex Long Arm, 5 screaming children, 430hp LS3 Engine swap completed. ENGINE SWAP THREAD LINK HERE Cage, Coilovers, and 14 Bolt swap NEW FULL CAGE, THIRD ROW, COILOVERS, 14 BOLT SWAP THREAD HERE

Quote Originally Posted by Keith B. View Post
    This is awesome. Very nicely done.

I am just about to start mine. My rims just arrived last wee, so I can run the same 40's on it that I run on my JKU, including beadlocks. Then I can have spares. I also am doing the Timbren's that you did. I have not decided on whether I am going to run electric brakes, but I probably should. This will be a fall project for me.
    For what it is worth, you might want to reconsider your tire choice. The guys I know who went with 35" or larger tires on their trailers often talk as if they regret it. They can chime in here with their own explanations as to why, but it seems like 33" or smaller tires are the way to go. I have 32" tires on my expedition trailer, and it still has better clearance than any of my Jeeps.

"Lophat is not going anywhere, it's a reference. This forum would fold up and die if he left. LOL!" -- OTR-93YJ

"if they are like LoPhat, then their heads are stuck so far up their rear they have re-emerged as a head." -- From_Catherine

"Lo-Phat.. Don't wash the XJ. You don't want someone to confuse it as a mall crawler.." -- Will E

Quote Originally Posted by LO PHAT View Post
    For what it is worth, you might want to reconsider your tire choice. The guys I know who went with 35" or larger tires on their trailers often talk as if they regret it. They can chime in here with their own explanations as to why, but it seems like 33" or smaller tires are the way to go. I have 32" tires on my expedition trailer, and it still has better clearance than any of my Jeeps.
    The real point of the bigger tires was spares at home and on the trail as well. Plus I already bought them.
    07 JKU, Teraflex Dana 60 Front/ 14 Bolt Rear, ARBs, 40" MT/R-Ks, Antirock, Teraflex Long Arm, 5 screaming children, 430hp LS3 Engine swap completed. ENGINE SWAP THREAD LINK HERE Cage, Coilovers, and 14 Bolt swap NEW FULL CAGE, THIRD ROW, COILOVERS, 14 BOLT SWAP THREAD HERE

Nice work! Looks like an aftermarket trailer.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information