Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dogs in the Jeep

Dogs in the Jeep

We like to take my dog with us on our trips, but she's not the smartest dog in the world, and I'm a bit worried that if I take the windows off of the Jeep that she will hurt herself. She likes to just hang out of the Jeep as far as she can. If we hit a big bump or something, it could be bad.

What do you think is the best way to restrain the dog in the back. Seatbelt harness on the rear bench seat? Nets over the window spaces? Anything else?
    1995 Jeep Wrangler YJ Rio Grande, 31" tires, 3" lift, 12k lbs winch, front Spartan lockers
    We keep a log of our Jeep adventures on our website: Arizona Adventurers

Re: Dogs in the Jeep

I take my two dogs, I just put a harness on them and loop the leash around the upper roll bar. I leave mine long enough that they have free movement around the jeep but that also means enough to fall or jump out. While not enough to get under the tire its probably enough to get injured in some way. In that case, stupid should hurt and they will learn.

We got a cargo net for our dog when the hardtop is off.

http://www.jeepcargonet.com/

So far i am pleased with the quality and design.
    2004 LJ, I6, BFG KM2 33s, 3" Teraflex lift, d30/d44, Locked/LSD, 4.56, 8K winch, Rancho rs9000x. - Joe -

My young 'un likes to stand on the passengers seat and hang out as far off the seat as possible, looks like she's surfing. I usually tie her leash to the center overhead CB rack so she has some support, but as said above, one big bump or swerve and she's dangling out the door on the end of the leash. There were times when the windows were off and I thought she was safely in back only to hear a noise, look back, and see her rolling on the pavement. Dumb mutt launched out the window while we were moving.
    These days she gets just enough leash so she can lean her head out and have her nose in the wind.
    Kenneth
    1998 TJ 4.0 MT

Quote Originally Posted by KennethS View Post
    There were times when the windows were off and I thought she was safely in back only to hear a noise, look back, and see her rolling on the pavement. Dumb mutt launched out the window while we were moving.
    This, right here, is what I am afraid of.

I like the idea of a wrap-around cargo net. It would allow her to be in the Jeep and move around in the back, but I don't have to worry about leaving her behind when she decides to chase that rabbit she just saw.
    1995 Jeep Wrangler YJ Rio Grande, 31" tires, 3" lift, 12k lbs winch, front Spartan lockers
    We keep a log of our Jeep adventures on our website: Arizona Adventurers

I put this cargo net on my old Jeep for when my dog rode in the back. Worked great. I didn't like the idea of having him on a leash in case he fell out or something.

Amputate a leg or two, should solve the problem of mobility.

If your dog is a jumper I would look into the cargo net as the safest option. If you use a leash all you are effectively doing is hanging your dog from a high speed vehicle. Also in the event of a roll over you are still just hanging your dog, possibly causing further injury.

My dog back in the states, Wilie, loves to go Jeeping and just lays down in the back seat / cargo area. Now our newest little family member here in Japan would most likely jump out the window if she thought the wind blew funny...
    2005 Jeep Wrangler TJ Unlimited Rubicon

I have the Spiderwebshades on the sides and use a harness and lead clipped to the rear seat mounts when the back seat is out. If back seat is in, I buckle the seat belt and attach the lead from the harness down near the buckle of the seat belt to keep it snug.

Life's Short - Play Dirty

Quote Originally Posted by bmlbytes View Post
    when she decides to chase that rabbit she just saw.
    In my case it was a Chihuahua.
    Kenneth
    1998 TJ 4.0 MT

I guess even dogs like Taco Bell.
    2005 Jeep Wrangler TJ Unlimited Rubicon

Check out spider web shade they make side shades

I have a new pup right now and I'm still brainstorming a solution. I've been really into a few builds I've seen on other forums of making a platform box to cover the back area, then a harness system. Something that would double as a tool storage underneath, and a flat/padded surface, nowhere to get a paw stuck or fall through. That way the pooch isn't getting wacked with your tools, and can bounce around a bit without getting hurt.

It would seem you guys should be able to train your dog to ride in the Jeep so you both were comfortable with it.
    Is that not an option?

Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat455 View Post
    It would seem you guys should be able to train your dog to ride in the Jeep so you both were comfortable with it.
    Is that not an option?
    Off topic: Bill is back. Late night posting, just took on a whole new meaning.

On topic: I used Raingler cargo nets for my rear compartment. They worked well and have kept my dogs in the TJ.
    yah, Huck you newbie, Rubicon drivin', mall Cruisin', bling-bling, bolt-on, got no drivin skillz, drove thru a AutoZone with a crap magnet attached, H2 wannabe, poseur! Pay attention!
    If you would pry your sorry arse out the Scottsdale Fashion Square once in a while you would know more about the BLM and the USFS (you do know those acronyms, right?).

Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat455 View Post
    Is that not an option?
    Even with a well trained dog, it's nice knowing they can't get/fall out no matter what. My dogs were pretty content in the Jeep, but you never know. Having nets also meant I could go into a gas station or whatever without worrying about leaving them loose in an open Jeep in the parking lot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information