Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Finally, a tow rig for Slick!

Finally, a tow rig for Slick!

Long story, the company truck broke down in Detroit, in the winter of course.... The thing started blowing out white smoke, loss of power and poor idle; the dealer determined that 5 of the 8 of the injectors were bad and wanted 5K to do the set, company did not want to invest 5k into the poor thing and wanted to sell it to them, they offered a small amount of cash and I offered more, so I got it for cheap but had to ship it back here; all in all Nick Ricci hooked me up with the deal.
    It is a 2004 Chevy 2500 Duramax LLY with around 220K on the ticker, gonna do the injectors myself. Our company has had it since 43K, it's pretty beat-up but I think it will make a good Unimog and crawler hauler. Thinking a little torsion crank, some 32's and she will clean up nice. Have to find a trailer next and need some sorta equipment trailer, the mog weighs in at 9K!

Here it is after it's 2,000 mile journey on a trailer from Detroit, I used Nicole Matthews from First Rate Auto Transport as the broker, she did a great job and got the truck on the trailer in less then a few working days. Shipping a longbed, extended cab, diesel in the middle of a Detroit winter is a difficult, expensive and stressful thing to manage.

After I blasted all the salt off of the sucker!
    Last edited by Nick02; 02-20-2015 at 12:29 AM.
    1966 Mercedes Benz Unimog 404.1
    2001 Dodge Dakota on roids

Re: Finally, a tow rig for Slick!

Sweet! Another tow rig thread. Let's see how many pages this one will go.

Congrats on the new (to you) truck, Nick.

"Lophat is not going anywhere, it's a reference. This forum would fold up and die if he left. LOL!" -- OTR-93YJ

"if they are like LoPhat, then their heads are stuck so far up their rear they have re-emerged as a head." -- From_Catherine

"Lo-Phat.. Don't wash the XJ. You don't want someone to confuse it as a mall crawler.." -- Will E

I think my dad is selling his big goose neck trailer. I'll get the info for you. He's in Northern Cali but he's driving his Cummins down here in March.
    I'm sorry, what? I was ignoring you

Hey Nick, does one of the employees live off of Houston in Gilbert? Stapley, halfway between Baseline and Guadalupe? The last couple times I've gone and picked my trailer up from storage I've seen a Rally Fighter parked out front one of the houses I apss by.
    Quote Originally Posted by djui5 View Post
    I'm an idiot.
    Quote Originally Posted by My Green Jeep View Post
    I have no clue...

Quote Originally Posted by mingoglia View Post
    Hey Nick, does one of the employees live off of Houston in Gilbert? Stapley, halfway between Baseline and Guadalupe? The last couple times I've gone and picked my trailer up from storage I've seen a Rally Fighter parked out front one of the houses I apss by.
    Probably, we have a sign out system and some employees hustle it hard.
    Steal the car!

Got hold of a tech2 and took at look at the injector comps. All the injectors seem to be within operational parameters, 8 may be a little up there but still anything +- 4 or less is ok at idle in park.

However there is a clear problem with the EGR, this thing was leaking boost and oil all over the place, think I may be on the right track with this.
    Last edited by Nick02; 02-20-2015 at 12:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick02 View Post
    Probably, we have a sign out system and some employees hustle it hard.
    Can I sign one out?
    To busy reading everyone else's to come up with my own.....

Fixed the EGR, new tires, new fuel filter, trans serviced and I have been DD driving the thing around, it's been a good truck.
    So I dropped some coin on a 14K trailer, dual 7k axles, brake on each wheel, 8lug is where it's at playa.
    Should handle the Unimog or Dakota just fine....

Last edited by Nick02; 05-22-2015 at 12:04 AM.

Nice trailer. I agree about the 8-lug axles. It's nice to have enough trailer to haul whatever you need to haul and do it at a decent highway speed.
    FWIW: I would recommend ditching the stock tires before you think you need to do so. (From experience). I would also recommend swapping over to an e range commercial LT radial tire. A bunch of folks have had great success with the Firestone Transforce HT. I run them and trust them more than I would the bias ply ST, stockers. They are tough and run a lot cooler at highway speeds. Weight rating is the same or better depending on size. Not a sexy shot, but these are mine.
    yah, Huck you newbie, Rubicon drivin', mall Cruisin', bling-bling, bolt-on, got no drivin skillz, drove thru a AutoZone with a crap magnet attached, H2 wannabe, poseur! Pay attention!
    If you would pry your sorry arse out the Scottsdale Fashion Square once in a while you would know more about the BLM and the USFS (you do know those acronyms, right?).

BLING BLING BLING PLAYERS! Radial, steel sidewall radials load range G! for a G of course!

Tows excellent!

Oh, this is what happens when you tow a Unimog incorrectly.

Where you get your trailer from? I just got a truck and looking for a trailer now!
    Eric - *2004 Wrangler TJ, Coilovers, 2 Speed Atlas, 37" Pitbull Rockers
    *'08 Silver Rubicon JKU 2.5" lift, 5.13's and 35's

Please tell me that you upgraded your towing receiver hitch on the truck and you are NOT using the OEM one to tow the Unimog. They are not made for that much weight. I say get either a Tow Beast, titan, or a Toque Lift setup, those are the only ones I can think about off the top of my head. But you need a true Class V setup. If you don't believe me on the strength of the OEM, put a set of jack stands under the frame of the truck to take the suspension out of the question, and then put the full tongue weight of the trailer on the receiver and watch it twist/bend/bow. Since a Class V has a lot less movement, it takes a good chunk of trailer sway out.
    2013 JKU RUBICON 10TH ANNIVERSARY EDITION: Wife's DD
    2003 TJ Rubicon: Trailer queen
    1990 XJ: Somewhere in Mesa

Quote Originally Posted by AZJeeps View Post
    Please tell me that you upgraded your towing receiver hitch on the truck and you are NOT using the OEM one to tow the Unimog. They are not made for that much weight. I say get either a Tow Beast, titan, or a Toque Lift setup, those are the only ones I can think about off the top of my head. But you need a true Class V setup. If you don't believe me on the strength of the OEM, put a set of jack stands under the frame of the truck to take the suspension out of the question, and then put the full tongue weight of the trailer on the receiver and watch it twist/bend/bow. Since a Class V has a lot less movement, it takes a good chunk of trailer sway out.
    Those don't weigh that much , maybe around 7-8k

-- Nate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    MPGs? Real trucks go by GPM...

If you are having sway issues you need to scale the trailer and unimog and get the total weight then get a tongue scale and set the tongue weight to 10-12% of the total by where you position the unimog. If that is more than your receiver is rated you need to get a HD receiver and a weight distribution hitch. Then mark the trailer so you load the same place every time. If you tow different vehicles you need to do it with each one.
    KJ5GQ
    1957 CJ 6 under construction
    https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...NoN0ZONXlVUmV3
    1983 Scrambler Built, 2006 Unlimited Rubicon built, 2006 Unlimited Rubicon Wife's

I've never seen 8 lug axles and G-rated tires on such a "small" trailer. Very nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by djui5 View Post
    I'm an idiot.
    Quote Originally Posted by My Green Jeep View Post
    I have no clue...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information