Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mobil HAM Users Here?

Re: Mobil HAM Users Here?

Quote Originally Posted by Geeepin View Post
    Lots of great info here.
    One day I'll upgrade from my current ham. I do like the idea of a hamheld radio.

Uniquely crafted from my fat fingers.
    The only possible thing that could be better is bacon radio.
    Good judgement comes from experience. Experience more often than not comes from bad judgement.

What license do you have? Extra

What brand of mobile/handheld/base rig? All of my rigs have an older Kenwood TMV-7A, picked them off of EBay so I would have the same radio in each rig Haven't set up an HF rig yet but I do have a Kenwood TS 140s rig to use someday.

What antenna(s)? Three rigs have Diamond 5/8 fold over, one has MFJ through the glass, all dual band 2meters/70cm

What coax? Not sure exactly what ever came with the antennas

Experience with connecting to repeaters while on the trails? I am not in your area so can't help with your area repeaters but I always carry a small ARRL repeater book so I can add repeaters if needed. On the trails with other hams I usually go with 146.520 direct on 2 meters to talk Jeep to Jeep.

What to do, what not to do? Do not transmit on your radios until you have your license. You can listen and learn a lot about how normal communications are done on the radio. Once you get your call and license get on and talk to people most Hams are "motor mouths" about the hobby so talking is not a problem! Ask questions if you don't know. There are lots of online info about Ham radio, ARRL, W5YI group, etc. Very enjoyable hobby that covers a lot of ground, computer communication, Long distance (DX), Satellite, Moon bounce, Digital modes, at times you can even talk with the ISS astronauts, Hams in airplanes.
    KJ5GQ
    1957 CJ 6 under construction
    https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...NoN0ZONXlVUmV3
    1983 Scrambler Built, 2006 Unlimited Rubicon built, 2006 Unlimited Rubicon Wife's

What license do you have? General

What brand of mobile/handheld/base rig? Yaesu VX-7R handheld

What antenna(s)? Supplied multi-band

What coax? N/A

Experience with connecting to repeaters while on the trails? Have had my ticket for a few years and was a bit more active on 2M bands when I was back east working in DC. I haven't done a lot of trails here, but did have the radio with me a couple weeks back out in Joshua Tree, Berdoo Canyon and Brooklyn Mine Trail. There were a couple other hams there using simplex.

What to do, what not to do? Get your license and have fun with it. Not much you can't do as long as you use good judgement. As mentioned elsewhere, there are regulations regarding use of all radio frequencies. Be mindful that enforcement, while spotty, is serious and if caught violating FCC rules, fines can be pretty steep. Hams also tend to self-police and most are more than happy to support anyone looking to get a license or further their skills.

I've been using radios since my teens. Most of my experience was with commercial and public safety gear. I used to freelance and later worked for network news in New York City. We had a radio group that was open to news hounds using licensed UHF business band frequencies with repeaters that covered the NY Metro area, all of NYC, Long Island, Northern New Jersey. Users paid an annual fee to maintain the repeaters and supplied their own radios. For those less technically inclined, it was a great way of providing wide area communications much the same as 2 meter band is used by hams., without the need for everyone to be individually licensed and have their own call signs. I wonder if something like that might be workable for the off-road community. Just thinking out loud…..

Charlie
    N2TFS
    Last edited by chazur; 02-15-2015 at 08:44 AM. Reason: Spelling / add call

Life's Short - Play Dirty

I have a Yaesu VX-7R handheld as well. I dont have a ham lic but am allowed about 5 channels in the 155 range.

The test I took was basic and only about 15 questions, but again its only for 5 channels.
    1997 TJ 2.5l zone 4.25 lift on 33's, Locked/open, winch, cup holder.

License Class : Extra

Radios : Alinco, Icom, Kenwood, Yeasu, Wuxon, numerous old HF boat anchors

Antennas : Diamond, NCG, Cushcraft, Buddipole, Many types of wire, coat hangers, copper pipe, threaded rod, I know I am missing a few here.

Coax : Whatever 50 ohm is laying around that I can scrounge connectors for. Or twin lead, or Window Line, Or .. yeah whatever to get the job done...

Misc Ideas and good things to have around : For the smart phone users a app call Repeater Book. It was free if my memory is right and it will download and store repeaters with coverage in a given grid square so if you are out on a trail you can have a handy list of repeaters that cover the area you are in.

Also a good idea to keep a handheld and if available for your radio a dry cell battery case around. Gives you something that the batteries wont self drain over time for emergency use. Just keep the batteries out of the dry cell case until you need to use it. If you cant get a drycell case for your radio and it has a 12v input then get a battery case from say Radio Shack or any of the online electronics places and make one up with the correct plug for your radio. Really nice for emergencies when power might be out for an extended period of time and you cant charge your lithium ion batteries. Just hit a store and grab some AA's or keep a stash of them around your house.

Another project that I have been wanting to do and havent yet is make a rollup 2 meter J-pole. Should give much better performance than the rubber duckie on your handhelds and will roll up and stash away pretty small since its made from old tv 300 ohm twin lead. Just have to find some old twin lead laying around somewhere.

Suggested to buys : Arrl Repeater Book in Paper back or Spiral bound every three or so years, ARRL Operating Manual and Antenna Book, the operating manual is a good general reference on all the things you can do in the hobby, once should be ok with this book but with the way technology is changing maybe again at your license renewal date. The antenna book is a once purchase, it has a good bit of antenna theory and design information and projects that you can do like the roll up antenna I discussed above and the copper, coathanger and threaded rod types that I listed way up top.

Lunatic Fridge
    Last edited by Lunatic_Fridge; 02-15-2015 at 10:25 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by 4wheelinHawkeye View Post
    Welll... I might fall under the category "special" kinda crazy. Wait, what ? Did I just say....
    Quote Originally Posted by LO PHAT View Post
    You will fit right in with my group of misfits. I'll even make them promise to flop you gently.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar_Mike 2013 View Post
    Yup, I'm a crab. Crabs make me feel dirty.

Quote Originally Posted by Lunatic_Fridge View Post
    License Class : Extra

Radios : Alinco, Icom, Kenwood, Yeasu, Wuxon, numerous old HF boat anchors

Antennas : Diamond, NCG, Cushcraft, Buddipole, Many types of wire, coat hangers, copper pipe, threaded rod, I know I am missing a few here.

Coax : Whatever 50 ohm is laying around that I can scrounge connectors for. Or twin lead, or Window Line, Or .. yeah whatever to get the job done...

Misc Ideas and good things to have around : For the smart phone users a app call Repeater Book. It was free if my memory is right and it will download and store repeaters with coverage in a given grid square so if you are out on a trail you can have a handy list of repeaters that cover the area you are in.

Also a good idea to keep a handheld and if available for your radio a dry cell battery case around. Gives you something that the batteries wont self drain over time for emergency use. Just keep the batteries out of the dry cell case until you need to use it. If you cant get a drycell case for your radio and it has a 12v input then get a battery case from say Radio Shack or any of the online electronics places and make one up with the correct plug for your radio. Really nice for emergencies when power might be out for an extended period of time and you cant charge your lithium ion batteries. Just hit a store and grab some AA's or keep a stash of them around your house.

Another project that I have been wanting to do and havent yet is make a rollup 2 meter J-pole. Should give much better performance than the rubber duckie on your handhelds and will roll up and stash away pretty small since its made from old tv 300 ohm twin lead. Just have to find some old twin lead laying around somewhere.

Suggested to buys : Arrl Repeater Book in Paper back or Spiral bound every three or so years, ARRL Operating Manual and Antenna Book, the operating manual is a good general reference on all the things you can do in the hobby, once should be ok with this book but with the way technology is changing maybe again at your license renewal date. The antenna book is a once purchase, it has a good bit of antenna theory and design information and projects that you can do like the roll up antenna I discussed above and the copper, coathanger and threaded rod types that I listed way up top.

Lunatic Fridge
    Excellence, thanks Eric!!
    Get Down With the Sickness!

I bought one today. I don't know anything about it yet.

It's green.
    Non-College Educated Working Class White Deplorable....

Quote Originally Posted by OTR-93YJ View Post
    I bought one today. I don't know anything about it yet.

It's green.
    Did it come with green eggs also?

For anyone wanting to make a 2 meter rollup J pole antenna without having to re-invent the wheel, here's a nice tutorial I found:

http://www.namebrandhandle.net/amate.../rollupj.shtml
    K7ARB

Quote Originally Posted by Bugs View Post
    Did it come with green eggs also?
    LOL! It's an icom ic-v8. i have a bud that hooked up to it and programmed it for all the stuff I need. It was cool watching him. He set some of the freqs to receive only, just to keep me from talking to the wrong people....
    Non-College Educated Working Class White Deplorable....

I post this for anyone interested in a vanity call sign.

About ten days after you pass your technician's exam, you will receive a 2-by-3 call sign. 2-by-3 signs have two prefix letters, one numeral and three suffix letters ...such as KG7XXX. It is assigned to you by the FCC, and you have no say in what your call sign looks like; although afterwards, you can apply for a "vanity" call sign.

Much like a vanity license plate for your car, a vanity call sign allows you to pick (within certain parameters) your own custom call sign in the same or different format. For example, you might stay with the same 2-by-3 format and just change some of the characters, or you may want to change the format to 1-by-3, which might look like K7XXX. Lots of people change the characters to something meaningful or easy to remember, like their initials. To apply, you create an account with the FCC's website, and afterwards there is a multi-step process to apply and pay for your vanity sign. The cost is $16.10 directly from the FCC. As I mentioned, the process is multi-step and a bit clumsy, so if you're like me and can't be bothered with that, there are companies that will take care of all of those steps for a fee. The one I used is here: http://www.w5yi.org/ The charge was $45, which includes the fee to the FCC, so you are essentially paying them $29 to do paperwork for you. About 20 days or so later, you will be issued your new call sign.

In my case, the FCC originally issued me a call sign of KG7QMY, which is a bit of a mouthful and doesn't exactly roll off the tongue. As of this morning, I am now K7ARB. See what I did there?
    K7ARB

^ Thanks Chili!

Quote Originally Posted by Bugs View Post
    ^Those are illegal in Israel I hear!
    No, just frowned upon and hard to find.

My old call sign used to be KDG8613 years ago.
    Last edited by teddyearp; 04-04-2015 at 05:23 PM.
    Ted - K2AMD
    2006 KJ pretty much stock, but well stocked when I travel!
    Quote Originally Posted by Locked & Loaded View Post
    LOL. I'm one of the dbags.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information