Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mobil HAM Users Here?

Question Mobil HAM Users Here?

I am new to HAM and recently bought some Baofeng handhelds and a Kenwood TM-281A with a Firestick 2 meter antenna for my TJ.
    I am still studying for the Tech license, which I should be taking next week, so I can be legal before I use these frequencies.

My main reason for wanting HAM is better quality and distance, especially in an emergency situation. Rather it be zombies, AJ tweekers or someone injured off road etc, capable communications can save life's! CB radios are extremely limited due to the interference and mass use of those frequencies.

With HAM, apparently you can hit a repeater from most anywhere you are. FYI:Repeaters are like cell towers that receive your weak signal and rebroadcast it with a more powerful signal, allowing for much great distances.

I will still have the CB along with the HAM, but would like to know of others here that are running HAM?
    Would like wake up this section of the forum; looks to have been dead for a while here.

What license do you have?
    What brand of mobile/handheld/base rig?
    What antenna(s)?
    What coax?
    Experience with connecting to repeaters while on the trails?
    What to do, what not to do?

Please contribute!

Thanks!
    Get Down With the Sickness!

Re: Mobil HAM Users Here?

Good timing I was just looking into the ham licencing last night was given a handheld ham last year just haven't messed with it yet. I'm curious to know how the testing goes for you and what way your studying for the tech license

not sure how up to date this is but look here: http://www.mag7race.com/pdf/channel.pdf

most of us communicate on a few of these that everybody has. BITD, BFG relay, weatherman, loco moco, etc. There are also a few KOH ones

Quote Originally Posted by Bugs View Post
    What antenna(s)?
    What coax?

Please contribute!

Thanks!

What license do you have? Technician
    What brand of mobile/handheld/base rig? TYT TH9000 60 Watt 2 Meter Transceiver
    What antenna(s)? Firestik 2M4
    What coax? Wilson 305-830
    Experience with connecting to repeaters while on the trails? I'm a new licensee, so I've only had my radio on my last two outings. Using simplex from Jeep to Jeep is an indescribable improvement over CB comms. As for repeaters, it seems as though you can get the Mt Ord and Mt Lemmon repeaters from damn near anywhere. Using the autopatch feature this past weekend, I placed a cell phone call through the Mt Ord repeater from the middle of Bulldog Canyon. I continue to be impressed with the range and quality of communications. The fact that I have bona fide emergency communications is very comforting to say the least.
    What to do, what not to do? Don't cuss.

For anyone considering going this route, I can tell you that for me, the primary purpose was for emergency comms, so it was either HAM or a sat phone. The sat phone idea was over with pretty quickly once I found out what they cost. For HAM, you study for a few days, pay your $15 to the test administrators, and you're good to go. The rest is dependent upon how much you want to spend on equipment. Personally, I have less than $200 in my mobile rig.
    K7ARB

Quote Originally Posted by Aljal View Post
    Good timing I was just looking into the ham licencing last night was given a handheld ham last year just haven't messed with it yet. I'm curious to know how the testing goes for you and what way your studying for the tech license
    Thanks ShmUDE, good info!

I am using HamTestOnline to study for the tech exam, when I am ready, there are several locations and times available around the valley to take the test.
    The Hamtestonline charges $25 for a 2 year subscription that I feel is well worth it, even though I am using a friends subscription. These courses make learning this stuff very easy!.
    https://www.hamradiolicenseexam.com/

QRZ.COM
    you can go there and they have practice tests for free.
    use the resources pull down to get to the tests
    I used to worry about rich and skinny
    til I wound up poor and fat
    KE7VKY

What license do you have? Tech

What brand of mobile/handheld/base rig? Icom W32A dual band handheld

What antenna(s)? rubber duck (came with the radio)

What coax? n/a

Experience with connecting to repeaters while on the trails? From the Reno Pass trail off of the 87, I have hit the Mt Ord repeater which is linked to Shaw Butte to place phone call using the Shaw Butte autopatch.

What to do, what not to do? Follow the rules. There is some enforcement including self-enforcement by ham operators.

Extra - (but I don't know everything)

Handheld - Yaesu FT-60R
    Mobile - Kenwood TMD-7A Dual-Band with APRS
    Base/Field Ops - Yaesu FT897
    Base - Kenwood TS940S

What antenna(s)?

Mobile - Diamond NA770A
    Base - 10 meter half wave dipole made from 3/4" copper tubing, mounted vertically along a backyard tree (HOAs - ugh!)

What coax?

Mobile - RG58
    Base - LMR400 (overkill but got a good deal...RG-8X is the best cost/benefit IMHO)

Drops out in most canyons. Best bet is to have a handheld in addition to your mobile. If you're rolled over in a canyon, you can generally get in range of a repeater with less of a climb or hike than it takes to get cell phone coverage. Keep the major peaks in mind (Mount Ord, White Tanks, Mt. Union, Mingus Mountain, Mt. Lennon and so on) when you're off roading. If you can get line of site to them, you can probably hit one of the repeaters on them.

If you have it, get over mike fright. Get on a net (personal favorite is Drive Time Trivia Net on 147.120/446.900 weekdays from 7am to 8am) to get into the routine of contacts.

Don't let on air criticism dampen your enthusiasm. There are all types on the airwaves. We have folks who will nit pick you to death (often while ignoring their own transgressions) and others who will nudge you along the way.

Call Sign at the beginning, every 10 minutes and end of your conversations and you're 90% there.

Bring your colleagues and your friends into the fold as well and start conversations about anything of interest. Make it a fun place to be.

And, by all means possible...if you're driving your Jeep, that comes first. Drop the radio if you have to, miss a call, or fall out of a conversation without signing off...just say safe...

Good luck on your test!
    _______
    Roger
    KE7YAG

KE7YAG,
    Awesome, thank you very much!!

Funny... I was about to post something similar Bugs. I just bought a little Baofeng handheld last week. The guys I was with at KOH were all using Rugged Radios on the above mentioned frequencies, seemed to work a lot better than CB.

I know next to nothing about them, good info here.

Mobil HAM Users Here?

Lots of great info here.

One day I'll upgrade from my current ham. I do like the idea of a hamheld radio.

Uniquely crafted from my fat fingers.
    Craigslisticon

^Those are illegal in Israel I hear!

Matt, send me your email again and I will send you a freq file you can upload into your Baofeng, in case you have nit figured out how to do it yet?

Sent from my iFone using my *****

Guys, I am interested in ham. Keep me posted on what your doing. Ill talk to you on the next run.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information