Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 28

Thread: New tow rig

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Gilbert
    Posts
    2,314

    New tow rig

    After a month or so of looking, finally found what I was looking for.

    2003 F350 7.3 diesel crew cab. Pretty much stock besides lift, gooseneck, and 4" straight exhaust. Picked up some 35" Grabbers too. She's a beast.



    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422918279.691562.jpg
Views: 437
Size:  199.5 KB
    Last edited by BEETROOT; 02-02-2015 at 03:59 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Durango, CO
    Posts
    2,153

    Re: New tow rig

    Good Job man!! That is a beautiful truck and the last of the great 7.3! Those trucks are worth more than the last year of the 6.0.

    How many miles on it?
    My name is Daniel. I pretty much STILL do what I want.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Gilbert
    Posts
    2,314

    Re: New tow rig

    Thanks yeah I considered a 6.0. Could have bought a similar 07 or 08 for what I paid for this 03. Decided the 7.3 was worth it though.

    125,000 miles.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Durango, CO
    Posts
    2,153

    Re: New tow rig

    Wow! You really got a gem there! Key to 7.3's also are clean oil and frequent changes. The HPOP will thank you!
    My name is Daniel. I pretty much STILL do what I want.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Gilbert
    Posts
    2,314

    Re: New tow rig

    Think a programmer is worthwhile? I won't be towing more than 6,000 lbs or so but have heard they can really help with fuel mileage.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Durango, CO
    Posts
    2,153

    Re: New tow rig

    Only if you have gauges or a programmer that has integrated gauges. The 2 detraments of a Diesel engine are high exhaust EGT and low fuel pressure.

    Even stock trucks should have these two gauges to help diagnose issues before damage is done.
    My name is Daniel. I pretty much STILL do what I want.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    35th and greenway
    Posts
    5,664

    Re: New tow rig

    And on fords , you need the trans temp gauge. They get hot when towing.

    Remember your only towing 6k but it's really more like 10k with all the added stress of the oversized tires.


    -- Nate

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    MPGs? Real trucks go by GPM...

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    A J U S A
    Posts
    5,625

    Re: New tow rig

    Nice truck Matt!
    Get Down With the Sickness!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Gilbert
    Posts
    2,314

    Re: New tow rig

    Quote Originally Posted by ZJROCKRIG View Post
    Only if you have gauges or a programmer that has integrated gauges. The 2 detraments of a Diesel engine are high exhaust EGT and low fuel pressure.

    Even stock trucks should have these two gauges to help diagnose issues before damage is done.
    Cool. I have a plan for gauges. I bought one of the new Alpine receivers with Apple Carplay. This lets me run iPhone apps on the stereo screen. With the DashCommand app plus bluetooth OBDII transmitter, I'll be able to monitor everything the CPU reads.

    Name:  dash-command-3-p.png
Views: 621
Size:  72.1 KB

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Gilbert
    Posts
    2,314

    Re: New tow rig

    Quote Originally Posted by redneck20 View Post
    And on fords , you need the trans temp gauge. They get hot when towing.

    Remember your only towing 6k but it's really more like 10k with all the added stress of the oversized tires.


    -- Nate

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Good point. Will keep an eye on it. The truck has trans temp gauge in the dash.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bugs View Post
    Nice truck Matt!
    Thanks homie. Your rig up and running? I'm ready to wheel sometime soon.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    A J U S A
    Posts
    5,625

    Re: New tow rig

    Quote Originally Posted by BEETROOT View Post
    Thanks homie. Your rig up and running? I'm ready to wheel sometime soon.
    Should have the gears/ARB swap done this week, then my BAMF welder and all around awesome guy Chili will weld up the truss/gusset/LCA bracket, then install. Hoping for next weekend! Will let you know.
    Get Down With the Sickness!

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Ahwatukee
    Posts
    6,055

    Re: New tow rig

    Nice truck! Jealous!

    Where did you find it?

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    The Cloud
    Posts
    14,573

    Re: New tow rig

    That app is really cool. Didn't even know that existed.
    Quote Originally Posted by djui5 View Post
    I'm an idiot.
    Quote Originally Posted by My Green Jeep View Post
    I have no clue...

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Gilbert
    Posts
    2,314

    Re: New tow rig

    Quote Originally Posted by Bugs View Post
    Should have the gears/ARB swap done this week, then my BAMF welder and all around awesome guy Chili will weld up the truss/gusset/LCA bracket, then install. Hoping for next weekend! Will let you know.
    Nice, yeah let me know. Awesome that Chili is doing that.


    Quote Originally Posted by Estrada View Post
    Nice truck! Jealous!

    Where did you find it?
    Thanks man. A dealer in Tucson had it listed on eBay.

    Quote Originally Posted by mingoglia View Post
    That app is really cool. Didn't even know that existed.
    Yeah it's super convenient. You can customize, record, view whatever you want. Resetting check engine lights from an iPhone is pretty sweet too.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    AJ side of Mesa, Arizona, United States
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: New tow rig

    Nice rig Matt. Like the CarPlay feature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bugs
    Jason is always a maybe even when he is confirmed!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •