Thread: chronographs

chronographs

is there a good, low cost one?

i need to work up some subsonic loads and need one. what should i use? is buying a used one a good idea?

Re: chronographs

I just got a Chrony Gamma Master today for XMAS...will let you know how it works out for me..

The Alpha runs about $127 at Sportsmans Warehouse and what's cool about these is they have an upgrade program.

The Alpha, which has everything on the main unit including the readout, can be upgraded to the Beta. The Beta has a cable that puts the display on your shooting bench. The Gamma has more memories. The Gamma Master has everything plus a printer that prints on adding machine tape.

Within the box I got an order from for how much to return an Alpha and get an upgrade to a Beta, for example.

Other differences is the number of memories and memory groups.

They also sell and RCBS unit and just got one other one last week...

Let us know what you wind up with...
    _______
    Roger
    KE7YAG

i'll probably just buy a MagnetoSpeed and call it done. I usually buy the best there is so i dont have to deal with crappy equipment. If you haven't seen them, they are awesome.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/628...ic-chronograph

That one looks like a good one. Did you wind up getting it? I wonder how it holds up to muzzle blasts. I didn't read fully on it...does it free stand also so it doesn't have to hang off a pistol?

I've taken my Chrony out and have no complaints. As soon as I pull the trigger, the printer is printing out what's on the display. Makes it easy to not have to mess with memories or paper/pen at the range. It also works with arrows, rocks, rubber bands, etc.

I tested it with rubber bands and also a small bug got clocked flying thru in my driveway...
    _______
    Roger
    KE7YAG

broke down today and bought the V3
    http://www.magnetospeed.com/products...ic-chronograph

Primary arms was having a sale and i couldnt pass it up. It was under 300 to my door. Now i just cant wait to get it and shoot my subsonic loads and see what speeds they are!

Quote Originally Posted by ShmUDE View Post
    Now i just cant wait to get it and shoot my subsonic loads and see what speeds they are!
    Under 1050 fps is my prediction.
    Kenneth
    1998 TJ 4.0 MT

Quote Originally Posted by KennethS View Post
    Under 1050 fps is my prediction.
    thats a good guess! I have a feeling they are pretty good at the moment. I haven't had one go super on me, the bolt stays back after the last round, but when i switch to my support side and am shooting around a barrier and the rifle isn't on my shoulder, it short strokes the next round (like limp wrist). So i hope i can get a few more grains of powder in them to help prevent that.

Can you install a weaker recoil spring? I did that on one of my autoloaders when I made some low power target loads and they wouldn't eject properly. It had a double recoil spring, so I removed one and it worked perfectly after that.
    Kenneth
    1998 TJ 4.0 MT

Can you install a weaker recoil spring? I did that on one of my autoloaders when I made some low power target loads and they wouldn't eject properly. It had a double recoil spring, so I removed one and it worked perfectly after that.
    possibly. I'll look at changing out the buffer or spring (for a JP fancy one) if the speed of the rounds is where i want to keep it.

first 2 rounds down the pipe. Im right on that edge. Might throw another .1 or .2 grains in there and see if i can hit the 1050 area

Wow, that's pretty good for the first two you ever checked. Did you load those based on a known recipe or was it just a guess?

You still have some room to go faster. Speed of sound is ~1086 @ 32F and increases to ~1160 fps @ 100F. Since we're getting into summer you have another 100 fps buffer before going supersonic.

Here's a speed of sound vs temperature calculator:
    http://www.srh.noaa.gov/epz/?n=wxcalc_speedofsound
    Last edited by KennethS; 04-26-2016 at 05:28 PM.
    Kenneth
    1998 TJ 4.0 MT

Wow, that's pretty good for the first two you ever checked. Did you load those based on a known recipe or was it just a guess?

You still have some room to go faster. Speed of sound is ~1086 @ 32F and increases to ~1160 fps @ 100F. Since we're getting into summer you have another 100 fps buffer before going supersonic.

Here's a speed of sound vs temperature calculator:
    http://www.srh.noaa.gov/epz/?n=wxcalc_speedofsound
    im using 208gr bullets and H110 powder. Everybody and their mother says that combo doesn't work well for subsonic. I randomly found somebody who posted the recipe that i use on a forum and i just loaded up a few to test and it seemed to work well so i just kept it the same. Im impressed that the 2 rounds were so close in speed too.

Thread Information