Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jeep for brains husband vs keep it on the road wife

Re: Jeep for brains husband vs keep it on the road wife

I have dated guys who arent much into the jeep thing. Take note... Im still single. LOL ! Two things I wont give up... My cats and my jeeps. No way, no how. If you are spending half your weekends doing things she likes, thats fair. Im guessing you went into this marriage knowing she wasnt as jeep crazy as yourself so you do have to comprimise. As someone else mentioned, she needs to find an interest of her own. Its healthy to do your own thing sometimes.. Someone mentioned $$. Ohhh, do I get that one !! Im struggling with that right now. I wanta jeep but my house is calling my name... Help me, help me. Not enough $ for everything. Good luck !! Hope you two can come to an agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by djui5 View Post
    Let's go run Hackberry
    Going somewhere next Saturday
    http://www.virtualjeepclub.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=10100&dateline=1356046401 $350 generated for the AZOHVC from the sale of these decals so far. ($5/pair is donated)

Quote Originally Posted by Dan23 View Post
    My wife's issue isn't the time I spend out wheeling. It's the money I spend on the Jeep.

I continue to Just Empty Every Pocket and she hates that. She feels it's a waste of money.

She also hates me night wheeling, cause I come home too late. But her main issue is we don't make enough money to have an expensive Jeep hobby. That's where she is right. I should be saving for my kids college and my retirement. But the kid in me can't do that.

Sometimes I can't believe How selfish I am, as I've dropped easily $8k in the past 12 months on this hobby... I think I need to drop the same amount on home improvement and she will start to look the other way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It's amazing how much a guy can spend on this. If I hadn't modded and wheeled my Jeep, but spent the money on paying down the principal, I would have paid off the 5 year loan in 24 months! But wheres the fun in that?

Quote Originally Posted by JGzCrush View Post
    It's amazing how much a guy can spend on this. If I hadn't modded and wheeled my Jeep, but spent the money on paying down the principal, I would have paid off the 5 year loan in 24 months! But wheres the fun in that?
    ^^ True story!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 4wheelinHawkeye View Post
    I have dated guys who arent much into the jeep thing. Take note... Im still single. LOL ! Two things I wont give up... My cats and my jeeps. No way, no how. If you are spending half your weekends doing things she likes, thats fair. Im guessing you went into this marriage knowing she wasnt as jeep crazy as yourself so you do have to comprimise. As someone else mentioned, she needs to find an interest of her own. Its healthy to do your own thing sometimes.. Someone mentioned $$. Ohhh, do I get that one !! Im struggling with that right now. I wanta jeep but my house is calling my name... Help me, help me. Not enough $ for everything. Good luck !! Hope you two can come to an agreement.
    Honestly, I was given the impression when dating that she was into all of my interests and passions. Her Father was a dirt racer and I was a mud racer and weekend wheeler back in WI. When purchasing the jeep, she seemed really excited about the whole thing.
    When I took her on a VJC trip to CK she developed a bad taste for it but I think that is because many of the people were drunk before the creek lunch spot and pulled out an arsenal of weapons at the creek shooting at nothing. The Coke ovens trip she enjoyed, but the following night runs (willow springs and sunflower) offered many obstacles and off camber situations that scare the life out of her. After that is when the issues began.

I tried to revive the spirit by taking her to Sedona (her idea however ) which was scenic and not too technical. Although she enjoyed the camping, trails are just not her bag. I would be limited to trails that we can wheel to a spot, camp so she can get over the trail in, then wheel out. Those trips are rare, and my schedule during the week also interfere with the amount of time I want to be out.

Quote Originally Posted by aribelin View Post
    Going somewhere next Saturday
    It isn't on the Calendar

My wife had small cars and no experience wheeling in any sort of the word when we met. At first I was stingy with anyone driving my jeep. After the first time I let her drive we were on the hunt for another jeep for her ( I'm still stingy with others driving mine). She is now just as into jeeping as me. I have not done a trail without her in the passenger seat or in the rearview. She even came when we did a ride along on table mesa. She never complains about it especially since we had to forego my long arm and armor to replace her engine earlier this year.
    It may be expensive but get her into it too then it becomes a bonding experience of sorts.
    Good luck.

Unfortunately, people change. Its a tough situation Jason. Wheeling does scare some people. I would like to take my mother out in the jeep and show her some nice az scenery but just about any trail Ive been on would scare her too much and she isnt into the scared thing. Maybe I could take her on a box canyon run. You cant make someone enjoy something. Sounds like you may be doing some solo jeeping. Lophats wife isnt too into it either if I remember right. Maybe the jeep hate'n wives could get together on wheelin days and do something they like to do and meet up with you guys for dinner afterward. Just a thought.

Ps... Have you tried Dear Abby ?? Lol.

Blog Entries

Ha ha, i wrote a long response then deleted it. Lol, i got divorced earlier this year so i will leave the advise to those that wheel with a non-wheeling spouse. But if her dislike for off-roading is the constant bouncing around then maybe take her on some trails around the Flagstaff area that aren't rocky.

Quote Originally Posted by JGzCrush View Post
    It isn't on the Calendar
    Still considering my options
    http://www.virtualjeepclub.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=10100&dateline=1356046401 $350 generated for the AZOHVC from the sale of these decals so far. ($5/pair is donated)

I was married to someone who never liked to wheel, or do anything out of the city. It was torture, but I made it worse by not accepting it. You cant make someone like something, but you can find a happy medium. She has to like to do something that you don't care for. If so, schedule trail runs during the time she is doing her thing. Remember the old saying- "Happy Wife, happy life".

Quote Originally Posted by 4wheelinHawkeye View Post
    I have dated guys who arent much into the jeep thing. Take note... Im still single. LOL ! Two things I wont give up... My cats and my jeeps..
    Ahhhh... Just fit the final piece to that puzzle. Guess you aren't finding crazy cat ladies in high demand nowadays?
    Quote Originally Posted by Me View Post
    "you can put lipstick on a pig, but its still a pig"

Truth be told, my wife hated it in GA because I would take full weekends leaving Friday midday and coming back Sunday nights at least once a month because that's when the crew would go wheeling. Since moving here, the fact that I can leave in the morning and be home for dinner works for the Mrs. Even if I do go more often here than back in GA. What works for us is that the time apart slows her to do whatever she wants and keeps the house quiet. She hates the TV/radio when I am home. Sometimes I wonder how we've stayed together but the ole' saying goes, opposites attract.
    Yes, there are compromises and I know when not to ask. Come January, my trips might not be as often once she gets close to delivery, but we have already talked about it. I will have days that I can take, and she will have days where I take the baby wheeling, lol. Win win for me!!!

Sent from the Cloud somewhere.

Obiously I would much rather have spent last night out in the desert seeing shooting stars (we really did!) and moonlight and holding hands across a really cool bridge across a river in the middle of nowhere than like sitting at a movie or bar or whatever else it is we could have done were we jeep-less adults on a Friday night.

But that may not be everyones "thing" - and that is fine. People have different interests, things that are uniquely "them". As a couple, you should always respect and support the others interests/hobbies - even when, and ESPECIALLY WHEN, they are different than your own. Because the better you each are as individuals, the better you are as a couple. So while she may not enjoy it and its fine if she doesnt want to go along, I would hope that she can at least respect your passion for it because that is what makes you happy, it is part of who YOU "are".

And you are out driving over rocks, crawling under dirty greasy Jeep parts, sucking in dust and eating soggy sandwiches with what is mostly a bunch of other guys (not obviously as many women into the Jeep thing as guys) generally in the middle of nowhere. That is a far healthier hobby (both for you and for your marriage lol!) than say you were out running around with hoes or hanging at the bar every weekend.

So I may not have the answer, but good luck! Jeeps are a lot easier to navigate than relationships lol!
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar_Mike 2013
    Truth be told, I like wheeling with you and Willygoat. Always a fun ride (with clothes on or off)
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar_Mike 2013
    You are so weird. I like it!!

2014 JK Rubicon Granite Crystal

QUEEN OF THE MALLCRAWLERS!

If Michelle and Erich can agree and say the same thing in one thread almost verbatim (you can't make somebody like something), then there is hope for all of us.

Bill
    90 YJ, 93 4.0l, AX-15, 3.55 D35/30 with ARB F/R, Atlas 4.3:1, Warn Full Float kit rear, on 33's, M.O.R.E motor mounts, 1" BL, Warn 9k.

But seriously, I too have a wife which doesn't care much for wheeling. It hasn't been too big of a deal yet because my Jeep has been down for a vast majority of the time I've owned it. And my work schedule doesn't leave me with much free time. However, I have spent a substantial amount of money on cameras & accessories, metal detectors, and other things so we can make the journeys interesting for both of us.
    90 YJ, 93 4.0l, AX-15, 3.55 D35/30 with ARB F/R, Atlas 4.3:1, Warn Full Float kit rear, on 33's, M.O.R.E motor mounts, 1" BL, Warn 9k.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information