Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Jeep for brains husband vs keep it on the road wife

Jeep for brains husband vs keep it on the road wife

I can't be alone here, I work insane hours and earn a decent living. When the weekend comes, I want to do the Jeep Thing and the wife just doesn't get it. Not looking for ANOTHER "jeep related" divorce. That was painful!

How do others in this situation strike a balance between the jeep mistress and the wife?

I try compromise and only wheel a couple weekends a month because I was going every weekend for almost a year. Now, greatly reducing the trail intake, I still catch major heat when I go out at all!

I need to rub the belly of the beast so I can wheel without fear!

Quote Originally Posted by Bugs
    Jason is always a maybe even when he is confirmed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bugs
    Jason is always a maybe even when he is confirmed!

Re: Jeep for brains husband vs keep it on the road wife

It's pretty simple really...

Your wife needs a hobby/passion of her own -- something she can go enjoy doing while you go Jeeping.

"Lophat is not going anywhere, it's a reference. This forum would fold up and die if he left. LOL!" -- OTR-93YJ

"if they are like LoPhat, then their heads are stuck so far up their rear they have re-emerged as a head." -- From_Catherine

"Lo-Phat.. Don't wash the XJ. You don't want someone to confuse it as a mall crawler.." -- Will E

I'm with you man. Thankfully she will go sometimes. Right now she's preggo, so it's a tough balance between going alone and staying home with her. Compromises have to be made. Such is life.
    Quote Originally Posted by mingoglia View Post
    For the record, I'm a douchebag.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chili View Post
    Shaft size/strength is pretty important.
    "Randabuggy 2.0" in progress

What Nate said!

What's her hobbies, what does she like to do? Get her involved in something.

You gotta make this one work, you got too much money in this Jeep for it to end up in a lake like the last marriage/Jeep!
    Get Down With the Sickness!

Glad I dont have this issue
    Barry
    Wheel it while ya can
    and sway bars are overrated. IMO

They give any lip you tell them to get in the kitchen and make sandwiches.

Dont tell my wife I said that lol!
    1997 TJ 2.5l zone 4.25 lift on 33's, Locked/open, winch, cup holder.

Quote Originally Posted by base871 View Post

Lol brave online till the wife reads it. Then....
    Lol

Try reverse psychology, while living in Utah, I was going to Moab twice a month. After a summer of this behavior the wife let me know, on her terms, that this jeeping thing 'isnt' going to happen anymore. So I stopped going for a while....but started grumpy steve plan 101.
    First I stopped leaving jeep magazines lying around. Kept them hidden and only reading them when she wasnt around. Immeadately threw away my quadratec catalogs. ...pulled them out when I took the trash out. Stopped shaving and started to let my hair grow out. Didnt wear any jeep shirts. Became a couch potato watching non jeep programs. Dvr'ing 4x4 extream. Sighing every time the wife asked me to do something, all the time texting my friends to send me pictures while they are down jeeping in moab.
    Week three I added a bad attitude towards my son, the little snot has his and her jeeps. And she loves off roading.

After the fifth week I started taking the bus to work saying I didnt even want to drive the jeep anymore....lost a u joint and didnt want to replace it on a garage day with friends nor let the wife catch on.
    The eighth week I stopped eating when I got home. Catching a salad at fast food joints and stuff, was putting on a little weight and the wrangler jeans were getting snug.

By the twelve week I started to say things like maybe we just sell the 'thing'. Ramped up grumpy steve part to include the dog, cat, and grand kids.

Around the fifteenth week I went to the doctors for a work physical , hid the high blood pressure medies and told the wife it was prozac and I was suffering from depression.

By the end of winter the wife called Tim (jeepng buddy) and told him to come by, help me fix the jeep, no matter what the cost and take me jeeping in Moab.

Wife doesn't complain now about my jeeping habit.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by Utah_jeepster; 11-08-2014 at 05:59 AM.
    2001 TJ 30/44 4:56 gears Arb's f/r with cromo shafts. Tera flex 4:1,street and trail sway.Rock hard cage, gen right corner wraps

Have your wife's company move you across the country, she feel guilty because I had to leave my family, lifelong friends, and job, so she lets me go whenever I want. Then throw her being preggo and she feels even worse about it because of the rush of hormones and Ta Da!!! I get to go wheeling almost every weekend.

Sent from the Cloud somewhere.

I too agree with what Nate said, however easier said than done.

Bugs, I've tried to find the answers to your questions, and get her going on them.

No way am I losing another Jeep! I had WAY more time and money into the last one! 6 years of building went into that one. BTW, it ended up in the river, not the lake!

Quote Originally Posted by metalman View Post
    Glad I dont have this issue

Quote Originally Posted by base871 View Post

Must be how Barry took care of his problem!

Quote Originally Posted by Utah_jeepster View Post
    Lol brave online till the wife reads it. Then....
    Lol

Try reverse psychology, while living in Utah, I was going to Moab twice a month. After a summer of this behavior the wife let me know, on her terms, that this jeeping thing 'isnt' going to happen anymore. So I stopped going for a while....but started grumpy steve plan 101.
    First I stopped leaving jeep magazines lying around. Kept them hidden and only reading them when she wasnt around. Immeadately threw away my quadratec catalogs. ...pulled them out when I took the trash out. Stopped shaving and started to let my hair grow out. Didnt wear any jeep shirts. Became a couch potato watching non jeep programs. Dvr'ing 4x4 extream. Sighing every time the wife asked me to do something, all the time texting my friends to send me pictures while they are down jeeping in moab.
    Week three I added a bad attitude towards my son, the little snot has his and her jeeps. And she loves off roading.

After the fifth week ...

By the twelve week...

Around the fifteenth week I went to the doctors for a work physical , hid the high blood pressure medies and told the wife it was prozac and I was suffering from depression.

By the end of winter the wife called Tim (jeepng buddy) and told him to come by, help me fix the jeep, no matter what the cost and take me jeeping in Moab.

Wife doesn't complain now about my jeeping habit.

I like the idea, but who has that kind of time to invest anymore? I'm looking for a more expedited approach to this, with a mutually beneficial ending! And yes, brave online until the wife reads it.. Exactly

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar_Mike 2013 View Post
    Have your wife's company move you across the country, she feel guilty because I had to leave my family, lifelong friends, and job, so she lets me go whenever I want. Then throw her being preggo and she feels even worse about it because of the rush of hormones and Ta Da!!! I get to go wheeling almost every weekend.
    Unfortunately, It was me and my career that moved us here. Albeit I don't have a social job and she does, this is the only human interaction outside of home I get. This won't help me much!

I'm heavily leaning toward the "sandwich tactic" lol.

Quote Originally Posted by JGzCrush View Post

I'm heavily leaning toward the "sandwich tactic" lol.
    Now hold here, take it from a man who has 30+ years dealing with the 'wife'. If your couch is nice and comfy, them all means go for it. You can tell us how it went after you get out of the hospital. But your not thinking long term here, one season off has gotten me a life time cart blanch. My wife has accepted the jeep as my mistress, and knows she is an exspensive *! $!/*!!. But yet allows me to wheel and spend money on her.

Is 6 months worth a life time of wheeling?
    27 years of jeeping...oh I mean marriage this oct.

2001 TJ 30/44 4:56 gears Arb's f/r with cromo shafts. Tera flex 4:1,street and trail sway.Rock hard cage, gen right corner wraps

Heck, mine actually asked me the other day why I hadn't been wheeling much this year? Maybe she enjoys her Saturday activities when I'm gone.
    http://www.virtualjeepclub.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=10100&dateline=1356046401 $350 generated for the AZOHVC from the sale of these decals so far. ($5/pair is donated)

Quote Originally Posted by aribelin View Post
    Heck, mine actually asked me the other day why I hadn't been wheeling much this year? Maybe she enjoys her Saturday activities when I'm gone.
    See? The old married men know.....6 months, then a life time of jeeping. The other way...3 weeks in ICU, and 4 months on the couch.

Quote Originally Posted by aribelin View Post
    Let's go run Hackberry
    Quote Originally Posted by mingoglia View Post
    For the record, I'm a douchebag.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chili View Post
    Shaft size/strength is pretty important.
    "Randabuggy 2.0" in progress

My wife's issue isn't the time I spend out wheeling. It's the money I spend on the Jeep.

I continue to Just Empty Every Pocket and she hates that. She feels it's a waste of money.

She also hates me night wheeling, cause I come home too late. But her main issue is we don't make enough money to have an expensive Jeep hobby. That's where she is right. I should be saving for my kids college and my retirement. But the kid in me can't do that.

Sometimes I can't believe How selfish I am, as I've dropped easily $8k in the past 12 months on this hobby... I think I need to drop the same amount on home improvement and she will start to look the other way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information